SP - General The Big Problem with Combat -- Unit collision and mass [FIX / SUGGESTION]

Users who are viewing this thread

Surely they have to work on it, the developers can't think the current 3 minute cluster **** battles are up to the standard they should want for their game.

Although I love tweaking and experimenting with xml parameters, I must say that your little tweak doesn't fix the jittering problem unfortunately. And the cavalry vs infantry relationship doesn't work in my eyes; you need to raise the impact force of the animal and give a buff to the harness; obviously you have to modify each item (as realistic battle has done and it's variant realistic ai do the collision part). But look... for the sake of experimentation, do a test with your configuration:

Add in native_parameters
<native_parameter id="bigger_humanoid_physics_capsule_radius_multiplier" value="1.7"/>

and in managed_core_parameters
<managed_core_parameter id="BipedalRadius" value="0.50"/>

Open the custom battle and generate a siege battle with infantry only in Car Banseth at wall level 3 (iirk), open the two gates and wait with your whole army for the enemy in the corridor between the two gates. You will find that there is still some very annoying jittering, especially if you use the first person view.

As I said before: #80
It's not a capsule problem or humanoid collision resistance; I've tried it before... it's obviously something to do with AI ("gap-finding") and IKs.

On a constructive note, I have to tell you that if you add all the xml of no effect whatsoever, you are indirectly creating an incompatibility problem with other mods regardless. I mean, if you have only changed a couple of parameters in native parameters and managed core, you don't need to include the rest xml in your folder... just like the other folders of assets and others that are empty. :wink:

44o09le1q9a61.png

Let's hope™ they fix it eventually™

Wow! This combat was really perfect! o_O

Correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.
So what I understand from all this. Jittering happening because of the weights of the units, meaning they are "pushable". Actually this is a good feature when it comes to this 3 things;

1: Unit's can make their formations much faster and easier without stucking/bugging
2: Main character can slip trough the units
3: Prevents the cavalry to crash into a wall alike infantry and die eventually.

So yes 2016 siege footage is looking good but there was no way they would brought that physics into the off-siege battles that include cavalry.

Let's hope™ they fix it eventually
I don't know much about developing but as I understand, it's not gonna be something they gonna fix easily right ? But there is one thing they can do;

At least for a start, they can disable the "pushable unit" physics in the sieges because there is no need of formations and clearly no cavalry. However there will be one negative effect that we can no longer slip trough unit's in sieges unless they do something about it.(as we see in the 2016 siege footage, player cannot get trough his soldiers)

I think this would solve the problem for now until they fix it another way.

Last edited:
[...] it's not gonna be something they gonna fix easily right ? But there is one thing they can do;
[...]

It is true that we are not talking about changing from a 0 to a 1, this time the issue is much more complex. The point is that 1. Either it is not a priority now (Taleworlds has been aware of this problem for a long time because other users and myself have brought the feedback to the table time and time again) or 2. they have no way to fix the problem between the IK and the rigid bodies for X reasons. And this is where we users face the Taleworlds communication problem, we don't know neither 1 nor 2 and even if eventually there is a 3.
---
I am of the opinion that formations are necessary in sieges.

it is not a priority now
how often do we hear TW's say this about different stuff, the fact that for an entire year their priority has been stability and performance it does make you wonder if they actually will ever get around to issues like this before release.

I'm starting to doubt it

how often do we hear TW's say this about different stuff, the fact that for an entire year their priority has been stability and performance it does make you wonder if they actually will ever get around to issues like this before release.

I'm starting to doubt it
giphy.gif

Well, I'd like to think that given that this is part of the basics, the combat system...they'll fix it eventually.
I want to believe™...

And this is where we users face the Taleworlds communication problem
Maybe sometimes it's better to say nothing 'cause I see lots of ppl turning some dev words into promises, this is putting TW in to the hard spot.( Still, there is a ironi that they broke lots of promises) I would want some answer as well but things are keep changing in BL so maybe it's hard to say something sometimes. Eventually this communication problem is still because of the big guys of the TW, otherwise devs have nothing to say if they are not allowed to.

+1 This needs to be kept alive.I had even forgotten that I had already "signed" +1 on this thread. Still waiting for a response from the devs about it.

Last edited:
@Dejan this is kind of a big issue with the game since it directly affects combat. It is a bit disconcerting to hear crickets on this topic. Is this a known problem but not a priority? Is it working as intended? Give us something please? :smile:

@Dejan this is kind of a big issue with the game since it directly affects combat. It is a bit disconcerting to hear crickets on this topic. Is this a known problem but not a priority? Is it working as intended? Give us something please? :smile:
We're aware of this issue and we'll be looking into it. As soon as we have more to share on this topic I'll write it here.

Back
Top Bottom