SP Medieval The Battle for Sicily playable mod -- early version downloadable, help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

The Battle for Sicily, an early playable version of a mod based on the 11th century Norman invasion of Sicily, is available here:
https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?cid=7&id=251

The mod pits the Normans under Duke Robert the Cunning against a confederation of Arab emirates, with Byzantines, Berbers, and others also making an appearance. It doesn't have much in the way of new features, although there are a few new models and textures and the beginnings of a unique look. It uses the combat system (ie, the item stats and properties) from 1066, which I think do a really good job of simulating early medieval battles and make for a more challenging game.

I find this particular place and period particularly fascinating. The politics were wildly baroque -- the Normans came in as outsiders into an existing free-for-all involving the Byzantines, the Holy Roman emperor, the Muslim emirates, the local Lombard nobility, and the Pope. Everyone cut tactical alliances with everyone else, Pope and anti-Pope dueled for control of the Holy See, pirates roamed the sea lanes, and freebooters carved out their own kingdoms. It was also unusual for medieval warfare in that naval battles were almost as important as land battles, which I'm hoping to try and simulate at a later date.

I've put this out here as sort of a proof-of-life, because I'm looking for contributors with modelling and historical research. The downloadable version does make for reasonably fun play, I think, particularly if you skip the quests (which are the same as in vanilla) and spend time in the middle of the map where there's almost always a few battles in progress, helping out your friends and looting your enemies.

If anyone wants to help, I'm desperately in need of new models and textures.
* North African and Iberian Islamist architecture (I have lots of pictures of various monuments which could be the basis for models)
* Distinctive clothes, weapons, and armour. Here, help from anyone who has the relevant Osprey books would be very much appreciated
* Ships! Dromons, knorrs, and Norman warships. Again, I have pix.

There's further historical background and notes in the Readme

I would like to thank the following designers for their models and textures:
Fisheye for the use of the Norman shields in 1066
RR_Raptor for the weapons xpack
Septa Scarabae for his scale armor
Yoshi for various nautical items (mostly yet unimplemented) and for showing how a naval system might work
Ancientwanker for permission to use TLD's dark courser

Thanks also to the 1066 team for adapting the item stats to create what I think is a much more challenging combat system that is more appropriate to the early medieval era than the Native system.

And, of course, thanks to Effidium and Thorgrim for their invaluable tools, and Janus for the installer script.

Can you post what osprey books you have in mind that you might need? I'm going to browse mine in a moment, but it would be beneficial to know what you need.

Heres a few you might need:

Osprey.Warrior 001 - Norman Knight 950-1204 ad
Osprey - Men-at-Arms 376 - Italian Medieval Armies 1000-1300
Osprey.Men at Arms.050.European Medieval Armies
Osprey.Men at Arms.089.Byzantine Armies 886 - 1118
Osprey.Men at Arms.125.The Armies of Islam 7th-11th Centuries
Osprey.Men at Arms.231.French Medieval Armies AD 1000 - 1300
Osprey.Men at Arms.320.Armies of the Caliphates 862 - 1098AD
Osprey.Men at Arms.348.The Moors The Islamic West

Tell me which you need and I'll send them over.

Oh brilliant -- that's just the collection I was hoping someone had. I'll order my own from Amazon, as soon as I have a post office box, but if there's any way of sending scanned images by email I'd be really grateful. If that's not convenient, I'd settle for just a verbal description of shields and armor, or the names of any particularly well-known images or artifacts that I could subsequently Google.

I think I have the Normans covered, but anything 11th centuryish from the Ospreys on the Moors, the Byzantines, and medieval Italian armies, and the Caliphates and the armies of Islam if it pertains to the Fatimids or westwards, would be brilliant.

I've seen the cover art on most of those books via Amazon. The image from the Moors seems to be from round about the 11th century, but it would be great to know exactly who those three are supposed to be.

I'll try to get some screenshots up.

I sent you them Nijis. You'll need to get them within 7-15 days or the links will dissapear.

Doh, he's right. Silly me. I forgot that the Byzantines were Romans. They're not the classic 300BC-300AD Romans though.

I don't think so. They will more likely to wear a chain-mail(or plate armor) armor, I suppose. But about the helms, they can wear just as the same and some new helmets.

They really have no relation to the classic Romans in anything but name and to an extent culture. They look and act completely different.

Sahran --

Oh wow. Many, many thanks. Those are some cool books. There's enough stuff there to keep a legion of texturers busy for months to come.

Re screenshots:

There's not too much eye candy, yet, but here's a couple

Syracuse harbor on a foggy morning (never mind the peaked Hanseatic-style wooden roofs)
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/nijis/?action=view&current=syracuseharbor.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

Berber lancers ride down my hapless junud -
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/nijis/?action=view&current=berbercharge.jpg

The first screenshot is very nice. Great idea with the seaport! The second one doesn't show up for me, says file doesnt exist.
Will check it out and leave comments.

nijis, I'm impressed with your mod and idea of being realistic. I want to join your mod team as a historical advisor. I'll try to help as possible as I can. Can I join?

Back
Top Bottom