SP - General The Bannerlord Banner Poll

Users who are viewing this thread

A simple fix could just be to have the faction banner fly over the clan banner. That way you can still tell at a glance what faction a lord is a part of and clan banners can still be whatever color you want it to be.

That's what paintings on shields are for, but then you notice what everybody's complaining about, me included: this banner system is useless, it makes individual lords and clans visually unremarkable.

Look at this map:

cGar8Ss.png

Most lords have distinct charges and patterns in their heraldry. From the colour you can see who was loyal to the king in Paris and who wasn't (the red trend was probably started by the Duke of Aquitaine). And this comes from before heraldry was a thing. Before heraldry and inherited sigils and regularised coats of arms there were simply colours marking alliegance.

You can see here that there's a blob of blue supporters of the Capetian line. Another blob of red nobles who traditionally opposed them. Another one, the Duke of Normandy, who also goes his own way, and the Duke of Brittany used to go his own way (ermine, black on white) but the new Duke is now a companion to the King of France, Pierre de Dreux (from the house of Vermandois)

All the fleurs-de-lys signal members of the royal family. Meanwhile the Duke of Champaigne and the Duke of Bougogne, the Lord of Lusignan, the Lords of Valois, Dreux and Vermandois, they all signal allegiance with that.

So, why not implement something similar?

KLGqLcs.png

Distinctly Vlandian. Red, gold and white (Gules, gold and argent, if you want), lions, roses, keys and horseshoes. Distinct as well. Why not?

I do like when Factions are generally the same color. That said, I definitely want to see different shades/tints/fields/patterns on all factional banners. I like the cohesion but not the execution.

One color for the sigil on the same colored field (for every lord in the faction) is boring and unimaginative. After ~10 years we shouldn't be having this conversation! #roar

Agree with something along the lines of this.

There should be 3 "tiers" of banners.

Your personal banner. This could be as simple as the sigil only, and it should be unique to each hero character.

Your clan banner. This could be the background color/patterns. This will be unique for each clan, but with each heroes sigil on top.

Kingdom banner. This could be like a watermark or "frame" trim, or some other marking, on top of the other things.

Ruler marking, this could be a marking to indicate the King/Queen status, of the Hero. Like in the Game of thrones books/series, the family put a crown on top of their banner, if they are/ think they should be kings.

Fortunately, we have a mod that gives each clan and minor faction a unique banner, hallelujah.

The mod creator is planning to add color-coded fiefs according to the faction, so that the world map doesn't become a confusing mess by late game.

It truly is hard to believe that Bannerlord has so little banner variation. Warband was great in that regard (although you'd see vaegirs with crossbows on their banners and things like that), so I'd stick to the previous style. I do like the uniform color, though. It makes it easy enough to recognize enemy troops without resorting to the awful banner on friendly troops thingy.

I like it more than the alternative. I've always hated those immersion breaking floating magic circles above the heads of friendlies. Seeing as nobles still seem to be defecting across cultures causing mixed up armies after a while just like in Warband, you can't tell friend from foe on the battlefield just by recognizing which culture the unit belongs to. Therefore, the uniform shields and faction color on armor is very useful.

I like it more than the alternative.
Like the way banners in Bannerlord are done more than THE alternative? Pray tell which alternative you are referring to, there are many. :wink:

I've always hated those immersion breaking floating magic circles above the heads of friendlies.
With you 100% on that one friend. I don't know anyone alive who would prefer those monstrosities cluttering up their monitors. However, there are many alternative ways of doing banners that do not necessitate these circles while also allowing for way more banner variation than we currently see.

577-1586995268-1974798919.png
Mod
As messy as it might seem, having this mod along with banners for a playthrough really enhanced my experience. Proper heraldry, moreover signifying which clan makes the bulk of an army when fighting in battle is really immersive and nice to see, especially when considering that sometimes the largest force of a kingdom doesn't stem from the ruler him/herself.

Like the way banners in Bannerlord are done more than THE alternative? Pray tell which alternative you are referring to, there are many. :wink:

With you 100% on that one friend. I don't know anyone alive who would prefer those monstrosities cluttering up their monitors. However, there are many alternative ways of doing banners that do not necessitate these circles while also allowing for way more banner variation than we currently see.

The alternative is turning on those nasty floating magic circles. Of course, if all lords in a faction including defectors stuck to units of that faction that could be a third alternative.

The alternative is turning on those nasty floating magic circles. Of course, if all lords in a faction including defectors stuck to units of that faction that could be a third alternative.
Ahhhh! I see. But like I said:
However, there are many alternative ways of doing banners that do not necessitate these circles while also allowing for way more banner variation than we currently see.
The banners in Bannerlord do not have to be as bland as they are now. They don't have to be monochromatic squares with a yellow/white sigil in order to not use the circles above units in order to tell them apart. There are so many different solutions that can keep the colored troops the way they are while also allowing for banners that actually look distinct from one another.

The way you are phrasing your argument makes it sound like you are saying that the way banners in Bannerlord are currently done is the only way to do banners in order for the player to differentiate between friend and foe on the battlefield. This is simply not true.

Last edited:
Ahhhh! I see. But like I said:

The banners in Bannerlord do not have to be as bland as they are now. They don't have to be monochromatic squares with a yellow/white sigil in order to not use the circles above units in order to tell them apart. There are so many different solutions that can keep the colored troops the way they are while also allowing for banners that actually look distinct from one another.

The way you are phrasing your argument makes it sound like you are saying that the way banners in Bannerlord are currently done is the only way to do banners in order for the player to differentiate between friend and foe on the battlefield. This is simply not true.

Sure, but clothing color is tied to primary background color and to a degree primary sigil color (you can have at least 2 background colors and 2 sigil colors) so a faction would at least still have to use the same primary background color unless you expect them to completely rework the system.

Sure, but clothing color is tied to primary background color and to a degree primary sigil color (you can have at least 2 background colors and 2 sigil colors) so a faction would at least still have to use the same primary background color unless you expect them to completely rework the system.
It is indeed! So... a solution like this:
A simple fix could just be to have the faction banner fly over the clan banner. That way you can still tell at a glance what faction a lord is a part of and clan banners can still be whatever color you want it to be.
If this were implemented all members of a faction could be bathed in the kingdom main color while also having their own personal clan banner that differentiate them from one another (perhaps the clan banners can appear on the battlefield, once banners are implemented of course).

Another solution would be that everyone uses the main faction color on their banner but have carte blanche when it comes to a secondary color. This would finally allow for differentiated backgrounds.

Those are two simple ones from the top of my head... Those are not by any means the only solutions that would allow for units to be all colored the same though.

Oh the possibilities! The possibilities! ... So why ARE banners the way they are right now? I just do not understand the devs design decision.

I would be better with more banner options and colours, but to identify with a kingdom there could be a boarder that gets added to the banner to affiliation.

Wow this is alive again!

Even if there are low chances of TW moving away from the monocolor solutions with neutral settlement nameplates (with red/green nameplate background for enemy/ally settlements) i really want this in the Suggestions board (which didn't exist at the time this thread was made :smile: ). Moving it.

Edit: also added it to Top Suggestions, under Player, NPCs and Troops, even though it doesen't exactly belong there, it's the closest existing category, and as this is an awesomely presented suggestion with 500+ voters on top, keeping it in the main Suggestion board

Last edited:
Wow this is alive again!

Even if there are low chances of TW moving away from the monocolor solutions with neutral settlement nameplates (with red/green nameplate background for enemy/ally settlements) i really want this in the Suggestions board (which didn't exist at the time this thread was made :smile: ). Moving it.

Edit: also added it to Top Suggestions, under Player, NPCs and Troops, even though it doesen't exactly belong there, it's the closest existing category, and as this is an awesomely presented suggestion with 500+ voters on top, keeping it in the main Suggestion board

giphy.gif

The people want what they want... But hey, I'm sure TW has their reasons... I'm sure that their reasons are reasonable and good... I'm... Sure.

I've just published a working, 2.0 version of my banner and uniform colors pack. Hopefully it can serve at least as a vague reminder we still like to have an option to have pretty banners in the Native.

CBU pack Forum thread

Back
Top Bottom