The art of weight-lifting

Users who are viewing this thread

darklon7

Veteran
Not sure if anyone cares, but does anyone know a good way to build upper-back and chest muscles?
I'm not doing it for a V-shaped body, more as if I overwork one I'll have bad posture.

The Mercenary said:
Bench presses will work out your chest nicely.

That's a fraction of what is needed. Use dumbbells - free weights work out multiple muscle groups by requiring stabilising, and dumbells require more of this than barbells. It's a good idea to work out all muscle groups to keep your body balanced. It's also best to use a variety of techniques on any particular muscle group, and to change the routine regularly so your body doesn't adapt. You will likely also need to overhaul your diet to see proper results. Lots of protein. As for the exercises, check out a body building site. Even better, go to a quality personal trainer for a few sessions so he can teach you proper form.

Whatever path you choose, proper form is essential. Do it right. 200 half assed pushups will get you nowhere. 10 real pushups will get you started. For upper body, I'd recommend pushups. First, with your hands facing forwards, a little wider than your shoulders and a little above your shoulders. Then with your hands facing outwards, spread about 8 inches to each side. Then turn your hands in so your fingers come to either side of your cheek bones. Then knuckle pushups, then bench press pushups, then diamond. If you know proper form for hindu pushups, and are strong enough, give those a shot. I can't really explain them without showing. There are endless ways to do these, and each works a different muscle set. Pull ups ad dips are good as well.

What the hell. Weight lifting is a sport, not an art. Just because there is art portraying muscular bodies doesn't mean the subject itself is art. That would make anything classify for art.

Just because you can put 'the art of' in front of pretty much any verb, doesn't mean it belongs in a subforum dedicated to art.

"The art of computing"

"The art of drinking and driving"

darklon7 said:
Not sure if anyone cares, but does anyone know a good way to build upper-back and chest muscles?
I'm not doing it for a V-shaped body, more as if I overwork one I'll have bad posture.

weight lifting isn't an art form, it's a lifestyle.  Do yourself a favor and check out www.bodybuilding.com every question you have will be answered there. Promise.

but here are some tips.

-Start out with machines to get your body accustomed to being stressed, then move to free weights, since they challenge your body to keep proper posture, and work a larger amount of muscles.

- Do not focus on just one part of your body, ie "upper back and chest muscles". Everything is connected, it will be impossible to build a huge chest without training your biceps for instance. Plus you don't want to look uneven and weird and ****.

-  Invest in some high quality protein and vitamins (real man ****, not the crap they sell at Giant) Seeing as how you're going to be stressing your body significantly more then the average person you need to feed your body better then the average person.

- Sleep a lot. Since your muscles grow, and heal when you're NOT working out or stressing them it's imperative to get plenty or rest.

- Drink a **** load of water. First of all it's good for you, second of all it will help you metabolize faster thus losing weight, and cutting fat (so that that chest of your can really impress the ladies)

And again, go check out the bodybuilding site, and learn as much as you can before you start lifting, else you could waste your time or just **** up your body/muscles.

Raz said:
Just because you can put 'the art of' in front of pretty much any verb, doesn't mean it belongs in a subforum dedicated to art.

You still haven't defined art.  :razz: Plus, if he posted in the wrong thread, oh well. We'll just let him know, answer the question, and move on with our lives.

I wasn't saying I had the answer to defining art. :razz: Sure, I could see how it could vaguely relate to art, but I and no doubt most people would still see it bearing more resemblance to a sport rather than art.

art is not an easily defined thing, and it is pretty relative.
I could however, certainly make a video from some people doing sports and show it as an art. Been there, not done that...

Back
Top Bottom