The Anime/Manga Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Hyouge Mono is really good, its about this samurai,Furuta Sasuke, in the Sengoku Era who served Oda Nobunaga. He is obsessed with Tea and Relics and his only ambition is to become a lord and own fancy stuff. The anime exaggerates Nobunaga's love for foreigner stuff to the point he rides an elephant with Yasuke and dreams of conquering the Ming Dynasty and Europe.

It also shows the plot behind Nobunaga's betrayal by Akechi and the other vassals, which is very cool

Was recommended to watch No Game No Life ("you play strategy games right? this anime is made for you") and while it's bit heavy with fan-service - it has a harem setup for the MC and the waifus routinely get undressed, plus there are three bath scenes - the actual plot was surprisingly good. The MC and his sister are both no-life NEET gamers, who get transported into a fantasy world where violence is physically impossible and all conflict has to be solved via games: whether coin toss or chess or an FPS or rock-paper-scissors doesn't matter. Humans are the bottom of the barrel with the other 15 races exploiting them hard, our MC decides to fix this.

What I enjoyed were the routinely over-the-top gambit plays that the protagonists plan and execute. They are surprisingly well written. Often in these kind of things the writers write themselves into a corner and then have to ass-pull a deus ex machina to save the day; not in NGNL. Each victory is fairly carefully planned and explained to the viewer at the end - if you then go back and review it, you can see the hints in place, making it all seem reasonable and logical. Even if they are pretty far over the top.

It's pretty short too, only twelve 20-minute episodes on Crunchyroll.

So both me and Naru had heard good things about Devilman Crybaby and decided to check it out.

I immediately disliked the art style a lot. She kinda liked it. I didnt want to continue, but she did. 2 episodes in, she started to dislike it.But at that point, I had heard the music. Oh the soundtrack of that anime. So freaking good. Which means I have now started to like the anime and will watch it to the end. Eventually. And Naru really doesnt like it at all, I suspect a lot of it is because I like the music so much and dared mention it.

Anyway, that made me wonder why every time a movie/game or anime uses this type of music, its almost universally liked. Almost all critics comment how good the soundtrack is. Synthwave is almost always loved when it is used for a soundtrack.

But then why dont we see more of it? If everybody loves it when its used....shouldnt there be more of it?

Hotline Miami, Drive, Furi, Devilman Crybaby, even Stranger Things. I`m sure there are more examples, but all of these had their soundtracks praised.

It has to fit the visuals of the product. Synthwave would be terribly out of place in something else, like say an epic fantasy movie. But I agree that there are trends among all things, it's not that long ago when Hans Zimmer was composing the music for two-thirds of all summer block busters.

I liked Devilman Crybaby when I was in the process of watching it. And now I hate it, I'm sure you'll agree. No spoilers.

Jhessail said:
Armchair Cosmere Fanatic said:
konosuba was funny. the only annoying thing was that the gags got really repetitive towards the end.
Isn't that just yet another harem fantasy adventure with retarded jokes and titties?

Yep pretty much. The first few episodes I thought were genuinely funny, but more and more they began to rely on the harem themes to carry the show as it went on. There's one character that is particularly insulting who is basically a masochist, and you can see where that goes in a harem setting.

Just watched the Heaven's Feel movie with my Girlfriend for our three-year anniversary, and it was great. She, who has always been more into Fate/ and Type-Moon in general than I am, said that it's the 'definitive version of Heaven's Feel' and way better than the VN, which is high praise from her! Would recommend.

Anyone watching the new Steins;Gate?

Looking forward to seeing a man who thought he had lost all hope losing an additional bit of hope he didn't even know he still had.

constant robot sex with hiro is making her more human, which is why she couldn't open the door to the ****off cannon

or some assorted potato theory like that

go read the subreddit, it's hilarious how weird people get with this kind of plot

If you haven't seen Der Film yet, watch it. It's awesome.
Also the first part of the new OVA Der Finale is out with subs on the internet, you should watch that after Der Film.

Next part of the OVA probably won't get on the internet before the end of the year.

Ah, I've caught the follow ups - one advantage to moving to Moonland was it made it a damn site easier to just go see Das Finale when it occurred. It was more I've not actually watched anything new in the past few years, and law of averages tells me there must have been a couple of decent things I've missed.

Back
Top Bottom