The Anime/Manga Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuckles said:
Excuse me? DanMachi has already achieved an 11/10 rating just for this website.
  :O I admit, that dance is addicting as hell but the reason why I'm playing the hater here is because of a simple reason. This Bell guy is the same as Kirito in the sense of getting every girl to fall for them without any effort. Main heroine too, Hestia defies the laws of anime, a loli with big bust is wrong. And not to mention that thief who wanted to steal MC's OP blade, but falls in love with him and decides to help him instead. Great. This makes me want to puke.

Goddamn, I think I just stumbled into one of the best ****ing characters ever, in Teppuu's main character. She would make a better antagonist than most, even though she's really just a high school girl with a bit of a sadictic streak and too much talent for her own good. The portrayal of her character is just so spot on, and I can't help grinning like madman along with her every time she gets excited about getting to beat someone up. :lol:

While playing WoT yesterday, my little sister, who likes Manga a lot, handed me a Girl und Panzer comic she had just bought.
Coincidentally it's the issue with the Italian schoolgirls and their tanks... I actually rather like it. The battles' art style is very pleasing.

(Also there are Carro Armato m13/40 in the manga, but they were absent in the anime OVA... which is a shame. Rather than their main medium tank the Italians have to do with stereotypical tankettes, some assault guns and a rare Panther-like heavy tank in the anime.)

Now I wish they had Hungarian tanks in GuP too... I am silly, right?

So for the past week or so, I've been watching A Certain Magical Index. I really enjoyed it while it was happening, but the lack of a real ending to it and all of the loose ends they never tied up are very irritating. Unlike most other things I've watched, it seemed to be that the writers took it in a different direction every 4 episodes or so, while the things I'm used to are all centered around a certain event. Even with the 'background characters pulling the strings', none of the -tragic consequences- ever actually happen and they seem to be forgotten about the moment the episode ends.

It's based on a Light Novel series. It tends to be 3~4 episodes will cover one volume of the light novel (except Haruhi). Something something the writing isn't very good in the series either. It's freakin' long (22 main series volumes and now 8 volumes in the "New Testament" series) which is probably why there's no closure.

Bought myself something awesome

6bHq4.jpg
amwYY.jpg
d5NuI.jpg

Just watched Code Geass through in a few days, marathon-style. Magnificent anime, but the main character is truly annoying in many ways. Totally unable to show his feelings and narcissistic.

Kazzan said:
Also, Bell is a really bland and generic MC.
"I gotta get stronger, quickly! I'm so nice that I forgive anything, no matter how bad, immediately! Gorgeous women left and right throw themselves at me but I'm a white knight and never take advantage! I also scream incoherently at every occasion!"

I watched the first seven episodes while I was sick with flu some time ago and wasn't impressed. It's funny though how the Japanese authors are unable to escape their pathologically organized society. I mean, if there'd be a massive dungeon with monsters in it, who drop valuable "stones" when they die - valuable enough that an entire banking organization has formed to handle their trade - a logical person might ask why a local kingdom hasn't taken the place over, farming the monsters or clearing the whole place out. Instead of, you know, letting random adventurers get rich instead. Also, how the dungeon is clearly divided to levels and the adventurers have easily defined power levels and all that stuff.

Sure that stuff exists in western fantasy as well (the ubiquitous Thieves Guild comes to mind) but hardly ever in-universe or to the same extent as in Japanese fantasy. The dungeon levels made sense in SAO because it was an MMO.

And why the **** do the voice actors need to scream so much? My poor ears.

Though I also watched Red Sonja (1985) which is on a whole other level of badness, so what do I know...  :iamamoron:

Jhessail said:
It's funny though how the Japanese authors are unable to escape their pathologically organized society. I mean, if there'd be a massive dungeon with monsters in it, who drop valuable "stones" when they die - valuable enough that an entire banking organization has formed to handle their trade - a logical person might ask why a local kingdom hasn't taken the place over, farming the monsters or clearing the whole place out. Instead of, you know, letting random adventurers get rich instead.
The universe is set in a world where literal gods literally walk the Earth on an unspoken treaty that they do not use their godly powers while world bound (it's not explained whether gods are powerless while on earth or simply holding back) and do not interfere with adventures. If I was a king with an established kingdom outside of the area of the dungeon, who's economy is benefited from the trade and import of magic crystals (as well as the export of food and dry goods to the dungeon towns) I would stay the hell out of a god's way. Last thing I would need is for my people to put my head on a pike once they're all fearful that gods might come and smite them all down.

Jhessail said:
The adventurers have easily defined power levels and all that stuff.
Adventurer's status was supposed to be their trade secret since peeking at another adventurer's status is apparently borderline taboo. As for levels (and levelling up) it's not XP points, since multiple gods had commented that leveling up is dependent on an "adventure", so I'm guessing it means the magnitude of an achievement. Bell's level up actually came from him solo killing a minotaur (considered to be a party level target apparently since so many adventurers are scared of encountering it without backup). Add in the fact that the adventurers from Loki's guild who took a peek at Bell's status commented that Bell's stats are all nearing S-level, I really don't think leveling in said universe is linear (more up to the author's bull**** of the day).

Basically, as I understood it, adventurers improve their attributes as they use them. At any level they can normally only go up to 999 rank in any attribute. Though of course Bell is exempt from this because he is a self-insert op character.
Anyways, to level up you need to do a great deed or something like that, like defeating that enhanced minotaur or killing a dungeon boss. Once you level up all your attributes get reset to 0 and you have to start grinding again, but a level 2 character is still much stronger than a level 1 with 999 in an attribute.

But Cookie Eating Huskarl, why would the gods care? We haven't been revealed why exactly they are mingling with people.

I dunno, maybe I'm whining for stupid reasons - just that when a show so blatantly uses game mechanisms to move its plot, except for the main hero who of course, as Kazzan pointed out, is the masturbatory hero fantasy self-insert for the target audience, it rubs me the wrong way.

I kinda had the same issue with SAO. They were trapped inside an MMO for ****'s sake - power of love or friendship or willpower has nothing to do with whether you can kill a boss monster or no. Yet that protagonist "broke" the game rules all the time for the sake of drama.

Jhessail said:
But Cookie Eating Huskarl, why would the gods care? We haven't been revealed why exactly they are mingling with people.
According to lore, it's because they were bored and wanted to have fun.

A god having fun messing with people and giving them blessings. What would happen if some King tries to take their fun away by attempting to gain control of the dungeons and disallow frivolous adventures.

I'd have thought they'd "banned" AoT years ago, considering the guy who made it is one of those "hirohito did nothing wrong" nationalists that China loves so very dearly.
They supposedly "banned" non-chinese films last year too. The Chinese government's having a bit of a paranoid-fest since the Ukraine crisis. But for the average Chinese citizen these things are about as illegal as piracy and marijuana are in the US.

Back
Top Bottom