The Anime/Manga Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm not a frequent fan of anime. I've watched some Miyazaki as a kid. In my teens I've watched a bit of horror anime, mostly because I've played the corresponding games (Corpse Party, for instance).
Found Parasyte - The Maxim to my liking. Also, someone linked me to an anime called School Days. I've never seen such an anxiety generator before.

Emma: A Victorian Romance?

I stumbled upon this a few months ago and I know it isn't very new.  Over all I'm overwhelmingly surprised and pleased with it when I finished it.  So much so I ordered both Seasons on DVD later on.  I do love my anime to be Serious and this one doesn't pull any of the bull that often makes me dislike an anime.  I think there was only one character that felt out of place as well outside of that i literally think the entire show is to near perfection. 

Luckily the entire series both seasons are on Youtube, Legally at that. 
https://www.youtube.com/show/emmaavictorianromance

If you can stand the Anime style, like WW2-ish themes and are into tactical turn-based strategy games with a 3rd person shooter element, YES!
You can wait for a discount on Steam, there have been a couple of 50% off lately.

Oh, and don't bother with the Anime series of VC1, it doesn't do the story and characters justice at all and even adds a pointless love-triangle.

Captured Joe said:
Coraline said:
Looks nice, I think the animation has a certain Victorian style/'feel' to it.

It does, it does brilliantly at that.  All the way down to the differences between Social Classes.  Though they do not get serious about the class aspect until later, as it would of taken up too much space in Season 1 if season 1 ended up becoming a failure. 

So, I started watching the second season of Darker than Black.

h4Aty.gif

First really good Anti Villain in Anime History being reborn with this film.  He is such an anti antagonist that he is often called the "Real" Protagonist of the original Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise from the 80s.  The film starts before the events of the 1979 TV series around Char Anzable when he was still a child, and the political landscape which would form the country he ended up being a soldier in under an false name.  Because even though he hated the people who took control of his "Father's" Dream, he still called that country home and still fought for it.

I think I am gonna give "Kiddy Girl-and" another try but I wonder if I have to watch "Kiddy Grade" first. And yeah, I'm totally watching it for the pairing.

wat do ;_;

new berserk movie when

It has a way better story progression and main characters, even going beyond the fact that it doesn't work with the same episodic structure as the first season. There's actual progress all throughout the season, the characters actually make an impact before they receive their own detailed story arc, and I felt compelled to keep watching because I was actually interested in how the plot was going to progress.

On the downside, unlike the first season it has an actual story to tell and could thus have used those 25 episodes instead of being crammed into 12. Aside the main characters no character received remotely enough love, and there were too many side characters to begin with for such a short series. A number of very plot relevant characters were barely shown for a few minutes before being murdered to get rid of them in time. Even the main characters didn't get a satisfying finish, as the ending of it was an incomplete mess of bull****, and there was no time for an actual plot to develop in the first place.

Still liked it better than the first season though, having watched them back to back. The characterization and pacing were just so much stronger despitehow blatantly rushed it was, making me actually interested in finishing the damn thing with its many flaws, unlike the first season that I only felt compelled to watch all the way through due to boredom despite it's general high quality.

Swadius 2.0 said:
So I finally got around to watching this:

gfL6KNh.gif

It was pretty good.

Would you believe they never even used rotoscopes for those fluid animations?

Anyways, finished watching Eureka:Seven and it's sequel Astral Ocean.
I feel empty, confused, and sad at the same time.

Swadius 2.0 said:
So I finally got around to watching this:

gfL6KNh.gif

It was pretty good.

They just do not make them like this anymore.  They just do not throw the budgets into anime today since Japan's recession , combined with internet piracy, and the dawn of CGI being used in anime.  If it wasn't for the insane heavy use of CGI you can only imagine how bad anime today would be, being they sure as heck do not count well in the story/character departments now days.  lol

Back in the 80s they had budgets to make OSTs like this.

^ this is why if it is not Gundam from the 1980s it is hard to kneel down to it. 

Back
Top Bottom