The Anime/Manga Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been meaning to watch it again. I saw a few episodes here and there and in general I appreciated what I saw but I imagine it'd be better if I had seen the whole thing. The one thing one should probably consider is that it is 15 years old by now and it looks and feels accordingly.

Jhessail said:
Is Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex worth watching? I liked the original movie but it didn't rock my world or anything. I'm itching for some Cyberpunk stuff to watch while I play Satellite Reign.

I liked it better than the original movie.

It will definitely scratch that itch. It was the first anime series I ever watched, and I loved it all the way through. The English dub is pretty great too.

Watched first three episodes. Not bad at all and well drawn too. Suffers from the "monster of the week" syndrome badly, hopefully an overarching plot happens later on.

I was sent a preview of the New Beserk anime translate this for the link -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-- .- .. ..-. ..- / .. ... / ... .... .. -

I didn't even waste my time with second season, one that with gun stuff. Alfheim Arc was a disaster. Just admit it it was **** and move on to next anime.

Log Horizon, for example, much more better then SaO.

Anime has its sins.

8690022356_45cff05bed.jpg

I am currently watching Made in Abyss and that anime is ****ing great I love it, its just 13 episodes too. I am not really into seasonal animes but this one is really good.

Finished today, best anime of this year hands down

Just watched Steamboy (2004), a spectacular steampunk film about a boy trying to stop evil corporations and *sniff* so on. I can't believe I didn't know Otomo (director and writer of Akira) made other films. It's not quite as dynamically animated as some of the more iconic shots in Akira, but it's got some of the best backdrops I've seen since Your Name. It also features way more action than Akira and the frames are far busier. But in a good way, not a Lucasfilm Remaster kind of way.

The dub is also full of Yorkshire accents which is funny because the main cast is from Manchester, and the protagonist is clearly voiced by a grown woman. A lot of it fell into the uncanny valley for me, especially some of the scenes in London, and the unnatural width of the thames which took me out of much of the end of the movie.
But besides that it was probably the most well composed blend of fun and believability I've seen in any setting. If only it was paced a little better. If I'd watched this back when it came out it would've blown my mind.

Steamboy is now on netflix apparently.

Also I discovered a bait&switch manga series where the premise starts of as a slice of life sushi bar procedural, but quickly becomes a surreal educational comic about Ackerman functions and chained up-arrow notation (mathematical notation for defining absurdly large numbers)

latest

Sushi Kokuu Hen

I'm watching this slice-of-life show right now, it's about a young married couple that used to serve in the military together trying to get settled in at their new family life. It's pretty good, there's this conspiracy sub-plot too that's pretty interesting, and the occasional flashback to their time in the army is neat.

The show is called Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Back
Top Bottom