The Anime/Manga Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Austyboo ^_^ said:
Why is visual character design in particular so weak in anime?

1. Most anime series are based off manga series, and most manga artists are not amazing designers.

2. There is an emphasis on differentiating characters by costume design rather than physical appearance, because costumes are more recognisable and people like to cosplay them and cosplay is basically free advertising.

3. Manga artists tend to draw very similarly, especially those artists who never studied anything else. This gets compounded in anime because a lot of the animation companies will simplify artwork even further to make them easier to animate.

4. In Japan (and China) there is no taboo for copying people's work, and by extension nobody looks down on highly derivative works. The former is seen as a sign of respect and appreciation for the original, while the latter is like "Hey! More of the same stuff that I enjoy! Great!". Thus you get a series like idolmaster where direct parallels can be made between characters in other series. A cutesy female-dominated series is expected to have a rigid subset of character archetypes, and these archetypes also dominate their appearance to such a degree that even the eye shape and hairstyles vary little between them.
Naturally this bleeds into other works which fall outside the "cutesy cast of 14 year old girls" genre.

Also because I am exposed to so much anime by people posting on the internet, and I recognise a lot of the characters by osmosis alone, I don't think the character designs are really all that similar. Especially when compared to american superhero comics where artists are literally all trained in exactly the same way and a lot of them have no experience outside drawing superhero-built people, so the only way characters are defined is by their costumes. Look at Rob Liefeld's stuff for an extreme, godwin's-law-tier example.

Cool, I was hoping I'd get a real answer to that. That's helpful in understanding the paradigm, thanks.

...and don't worry I don't think any better than Liefeld's Captain America! :lol:

cap.jpg
This is always the first image that comes to mind for me when people talk about bad comic art.

It varies massively, especially because a sizable proportion of manga artists have no formal training. In fact most artists are young enough that they were inspired by derivative animu and mango from the 90s and early 2000s.

With some artists it is obvious they trained classically, like Akira Toriyama and the Boku no Hero artist guy. But the majority of light novel* authors are basically just self-trained weeaboos who decided they wanted to make their own manga series. Hence why so many light novels are so firmly derivative.

A light novel is a pulpy comic for teenagers, usually set in a school or featuring a cast dominated by schoolkids. Many of the spammy-but-profitable harem anime series that animation studios have to make during off-season are based on light novels. There is no direct equivalent in the english speaking world but they are comparable to diary of a wimpy kid and captain underpants.

Apparently the whole job of being a manga artist (Or mangaka as the locals call it) is a pretty tough job. For instance, the guy who makes One Piece has been working on it basically around the clock for numerous years. This video has more on that.

My point being, for a job that's tough as ****, and that isn't necessarily even profitable or socially desirable, it's no wonder there's very little formal education opportunities.

Rewatching Sonic X because the broadcasts on UK TV back in the day were really haphazard. I remember it being pretty good and hey whaddaya know, it's not bad at all. The animation looks like something out of an early 80s anime, although some of my memories might be getting mixed up with an 80s version of Astro Boy which aired around the same time.

I watched a little bit of the other sonic series's's and they are horrible, like an inappropriately edgy dennis the menace with more punk.

Man, rewatching beloved childhood cartoons is total bravery. I wouldn't do that. I remember the Sonic SatAM cartoon being the definition of awesome (freedom fighters + dystopian future +SONIC) but there's no way I'm checking.

Apparently the Tokyo 2020 Olympics has started using Akira in its promotions. Which is awesome.

Keijo!!!!!!!! said:
The series centers around the fictional women-only sport of keijo, where players stand on floating platforms and aim to incapacitate or push their opponent into the water, using only their breasts and buttocks. The story follows Nozomi Kaminashi, a gymnast who trains at a keijo school, hoping to become the richest player in Japan.

I would pay good money to observe the pitching process for this show.

tokyo ghoul is good idgaf what anyone says, though the intro and outro music sucks

Armchair Cosmere Fanatic said:
konosuba was funny. the only annoying thing was that the gags got really repetitive towards the end.
Isn't that just yet another harem fantasy adventure with retarded jokes and titties?

Is Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex worth watching? I liked the original movie but it didn't rock my world or anything. I'm itching for some Cyberpunk stuff to watch while I play Satellite Reign.

Back
Top Bottom