The Academy, Discussion, Suggestions, Ideas, whatever you like!

Should I make Bandit parties stronger?

• Yes, very much stronger!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but only a little.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Leave them as they are.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, make them easier!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks, I will test how the overhead_staff animation looks, didn't look it before. About the javelin thrust, I used it before the current animation and while it has more frames, as you say, it is not as fitting for hoplites, that's true. In the future, I might need to prolong this animation a bit, add more frames.  :smile:

Hi.

Great mod, Antonis! I've had a lot of fun in it so far. Only problem is that tournaments seem too easy. I've gotten tens of thousands of [that Ancient currency] through them with ease. Anyway, I'm excited to see what updates will be seen to this good mod. On another note: I saw in the old Fires of War thread (before you got a sub-board) that you were developing an antiquity mod (Carthage, Britannia, Rome as you said). Is there any info on said mod?

Hi, I am glad you like the mod! Yes, the tournaments are easy and grant good money, that is true. I have them as a counter-weight to the general difficulty of the mod(it is meant to be played in medium-high difficulty settings, for the full experience). You can make some money and buy some decent armor and make a decent army, so that you can be an equal force to the bandits and the generals.

For the other mod, Conquestu et Sanguinem, you saw correctly. I am developing it. It is set in all Europe at 270BC. It is inspired by Rome Total War and, of course, history.  :smile:
Currently, I have done 22 factions and I am 70% finished with the items(armor, weapons and such) and  35% finished with the troops. I have implemented Diplomacy, Freelancer(that doesn't work very well yet, it gives the player the top gear from the start, when he is just a recruit) I haven't touched the Lords, the dialogs(which are a LOT, due to the added dialogs, quests and such) and most of the music yet. Overall, I am doing some good progress with it, but there are still a lot. I expect to have a late alpha/early beta at the end of the month, but a proper versio will come sometime in the next season. I have exams in September and I also start work again, so my time will be more limited. Now, about the factions, so far, there are the following factions in the mod, with plans to add more in the future:

-Roman Republic
-Carthage
-Macedon
-Thrace
-Dacia
-The Ptolemies
-The Seleucids
-Numidia
-Iberia
-The Britons
-1 Germanic tribe
-4 Gallic tribes
-2 Scythian tribes
-The Hellenic City states
-The state of Pergamon
-The Samnites
-2 mini-factions, the Cretan Outlaws and the Celtic Druids. Those two cannot conquer, only be conquered, but they can attack and engage in battle normally.

For the future, I will add Pontus, Lusitania, a Blatic tribe, the Sabyn. I would like to add a Persian/Parthian faction, a sub-saharan/Nubian faction and some more, but my fear is that the performance will drop, due to too many map icons and parties and scripts, and I want to make a mod for all computers, not just the good ones.  :sad:

Ah yes, I was rather shocked when I first jumped in to the game. I couldn't even buy a tunic it was so expensive. I was lucky enough to find one tournament which made me relatively rich. The difficulty of the mod makes it fun though. The good thing is that the expensive armours and weapons cancel out the high amount of money you make from trading/winning tournaments.

Ah, I got worried for a second: Rome Total War alone is a fun inspiration but without the "and, of course, history" it'd make for an extremely inaccurate but very fun mod. Wow, that's a lot. You seem to work on your mods very efficiently. Good to hear there's Freelancer, that'll be useful for making your way up I'd imagine. I'm excited to see what troops and items there'll be, but even more excited for the music; which seems to always be unique and accurate to the era in your mods (e.g. the music in Fires of War is really good and immersive). Can't wait until the end of August, on that note. I'll be sure to try out the alpha/early beta when it comes out  :smile:.
Lots of factions there. The one that's especially interesting is Seleucids; I've seen no other Roman mod have them and their vast lands (emphasis on the seen part, AFAIK Haegemonia had the Seleucids). I'm guessing (and in a way hoping) that 3 of the 4 Gallic tribes are: The Boii, The Arverni and The Aedui. The mini-factions is an interesting idea.
Sabyn, Lusitania and Pontus sound like interesting future factions. A Baltic tribe and a Sub-saharan faction, now that'll be cool to see in-game. Parthia would be fun, with their horse-archers (which is probably the only real thing I know about them besides them handing a devastating defeat to Rome...).

Good luck with the development, though  :smile:

Oh crap! I modified your message instead of posting a new one! I am sorry, man, I am so sorry.  :oops:
I will restore it as soon as possible, my apologies.

My post, after yours:

Ah yes, I was rather shocked when I first jumped in to the game. I couldn't even buy a tunic it was so expensive. I was lucky enough to find one tournament which made me relatively rich. The difficulty of the mod makes it fun though. The good thing is that the expensive armours and weapons cancel out the high amount of money you make from trading/winning tournaments.

That was my thinking, exactly.  :smile:

Yeah, I like Rome Total War, but I recognise that it's quite loosely based on History. I will try a more real approach, but I will give room for innacuracies, small ones, though, mainly for Gameplay and aesthetical reasons. Thanks for the kind words, you flatter me. As for Selecudis, due to performance, I have them as far as the vertical line between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, more or less. Previously, the were stretched as far as India(well, more to the west, but you understand) but I had terrible losses at performance, and my PC is quite good. To give an idea on how big the Seleucids were, after those performance issues, I split them in half and still, the Seleucids are still one of the three biggest factions. When you have 22 that can be a problem. :smile:

About the Gauls, you are right, if nothings changes those will be and also Nervii. The Parthians have a very interesting story, much is unknow, but from the known bits, I would personally love to play as a Parthian nobleman. They covered vast territories in Asia, and thus is my dilemma on adding them to the mod. As with the Seleucids, I am afraid of performance loss.  :???:

EDIT: Ok, fixed. Oof, I was worried. Sorry for being absent minded again.  :smile:

Antonis said:
Oh crap! I modified your message instead of posting a new one! I am sorry, man, I am so sorry.  :oops:
I will restore it as soon as possible, my apologies.

My post, after yours:

That was my thinking, exactly.  :smile:

Yeah, I like Rome Total War, but I recognise that it's quite loosely based on History. I will try a more real approach, but I will give room for innacuracies, small ones, though, mainly for Gameplay and aesthetical reasons. Thanks for the kind words, you flatter me. As for Selecudis, due to performance, I have them as far as the vertical line between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, more or less. Previously, the were stretched as far as India(well, more to the west, but you understand) but I had terrible losses at performance, and my PC is quite good. To give an idea on how big the Seleucids were, after those performance issues, I split them in half and still, the Seleucids are still one of the three biggest factions. When you have 22 that can be a problem. :smile:

About the Gauls, you are right, if nothings changes those will be and also Nervii. The Parthians have a very interesting story, much is unknow, but from the known bits, I would personally love to play as a Parthian nobleman. They covered vast territories in Asia, and thus is my dilemma on adding them to the mod. As with the Seleucids, I am afraid of performance loss.  :???:

EDIT: Ok, fixed. Oof, I was worried. Sorry for being absent minded again.  :smile:

Fortunately I came back too late to see this  :lol:

Ah, that's unfortunate, but it makes sense. Making the Seleucids at their true size would also cause problem with having to now add Indians to conquer. Until that line is far enough in my opinion, it still shows their great empire. I'd imagine Ptolemies and Carthage are the other two big factions?

Nervii are good, some Belgians are always necessary.  Playing as a Parthian is definitely one of the things I'd like to do, it'd make for an interesting story as well as interesting equipment.

Back to the thread topic: I've noticed that, since the equipment sold at marketplaces isn't culture-specific, I've struggled to find a proper Persian helmet, which seems to be from, AFAIK, the Persians using mostly caps.

Correct again.  :smile:
Carthage is currently the biggest faction on the same spot as Seleucids, followed by the Ptolemies. Then, at about the same size, we have the Thracians, Dacians, then the Gallic and Germanic tribes, then the Britons and the Samnites, then Macedon, Pergamon and the Hellenic City States, Iberia etc. The Scythian tribes, although they have a largy map portion, above the Black Sea and having many steppes, they have not so many settlements, being a Nomadic people.  :smile:

Now, yes, the items aren't culture specific. As for the Persian helmets, they do depend on caps and hoods(kidaris) more than actual helmets. I tried to find reference of actual helmets, not caps, but I haven't come up with anything solid.

Antonis said:
Correct again.  :smile:
Carthage is currently the biggest faction on the same spot as Seleucids, followed by the Ptolemies. Then, at about the same size, we have the Thracians, Dacians, then the Gallic and Germanic tribes, then the Britons and the Samnites, then Macedon, Pergamon and the Hellenic City States, Iberia etc. The Scythian tribes, although they have a largy map portion, above the Black Sea and having many steppes, they have not so many settlements, being a Nomadic people.  :smile:

Now, yes, the items aren't culture specific. As for the Persian helmets, they do depend on caps and hoods(kidaris) more than actual helmets. I tried to find reference of actual helmets, not caps, but I haven't come up with anything solid.

Ah, that makes sense. Playing as the Scythians should hopefully be interesting, then.

That's unfortunate. Maybe I'll try go for a Persian cap, then.

There are a couple of helmets, you can see the elite troops and the lords wearing them, but little. I would really love to  find some reliable source and add some more.

Antonis said:
There are a couple of helmets, you can see the elite troops and the lords wearing them, but little. I would really love to  find some reliable source and add some more.

Thanks, I'll look out for those. Good luck with that. Unfortunately it does seem like there's very little from that period. Most of the helmets seem to come with the Parthians, then the Sassanids etc.

It would be nice to have more proper female bodies to the armors. Particularly the Helenic ones, good grief ladies where do you all work out?  :lol:

Though as modder myself (though I don't mod for Warband - not yet anyway), I'm very much aware that creating new models and texturing them is a time consuming job so I understand this is not going to happen within the next versions.

Well, as it happens, I had added feminized frames to many of the armours. But it didn't look good. I mean, the bronze cuirasses just 'hugged' the body tightly, like a piece of fantasy armour. Let's be real, if you are going to put on a ~conical piece of metal(or however the shape is called), you are going to look like a potato, be you a man or a woman. So, there were some models, but I just found them too fantasy-ish and on the silly side, to be honest. I mean, sculpted boob-holders?  :razz:

So, yeah, I kinda like that women have equal items as men, it's more realistic and to tell the truth, women were normally forbidden or looked down on, when participating in wars. So, it kinda makes sense to dress as a man, if you're a woman, right?

If you want, can you send a PM to say which games are you working on? I happen to download as many mods as I can for any game that supports modding. I might have played some of yours.  :smile:

Hi,

did cav use hoplons in RL? They do in FoW and I don`t think it`s correct.

And Amazon Riders have bows but no horse archery skill and act as melèe cav, kinda strange.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, hoplons in cavalry isn't exactly right, but I haven't made a shield properly yet. I incidentally take some 3d modelling classes this period, one of the models I am working on(one of my first so be kind when I put it in the mod  :razz:) is a round shield from wood, made from cavalry. I have some oval shields available, but I believe those were used much later.
Amazons is my mistake, fixed it already.

Thank you!  :smile:

Dudes, I downloaded via MEGA. It said it's 1.05 version. Do I have to download fix patch 1.04b? I am confused.

300 style?  :razz:
It's easy enough to do it, but there's quite a lot of clipping between the cape and the armour. I don't mind personally, so I have incorporated it in my game, but I don't know about other people, so I left it out of the mod.

Back
Top Bottom