"That is Offensive!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteEagle

Regular
I'm tired of people begging servers to police what others can say to them in game. Its like they are somehow hurt by somebody's opinion and use of free speech.

To be offended by what someone else says is your own choice, as you don't have to care about what other people think, and nothing has actually happened to you. Information merely passed from their minds to yours.

To state that you are offended means that you wish the person hadn't said it and won't say anything similar again. In other words, you actually want to stop certain information from being communicated. You must believe that you have some sort of right to dictate not only what people can and can't communicate, but what they can and can't think.

To be offended is to take the first step in being a totalitarian megalomaniac.

I+feel+you+bro+_c348de8ec3c4bee27f1379f2061a9035.jpg

WhiteEagle said:
To be offended by what someone else says is your own choice, as you don't have to care about what other people think, and nothing has actually happened to you. Information merely passed from their minds to yours.
Indeed, it is your own choice. But unfortunately not someone elses. It is great that you can close yourself from the opinion of others but you should realise that some people can't. And I know that many won't understand as they do not understand what goes on in other minds but remember, not everyone is evenly capable.

Free speech is allowed, but saying bad things about a certain race or group of people can be done in more calm and subtle ways or when these people are not present.

WhiteEagle said:
To state that you are offended means that you wish the person hadn't said it and won't say anything similar again. In other words, you actually want to stop certain information from being communicated. You must believe that you have some sort of right to dictate not only what people can and can't communicate, but what they can and can't think.
Read the dictionary, to be offended simply means to be annoyed, angry or irritated. If insulted(remember, insulting can be done with more than insults), people can have an offended feeling. How angry were you when being required to do tasks non-stop on an unsheduled day because of your parents? If you get angry in these situations, you get offended aswell.

WhiteEagle said:
I too like pie.

Lovely edit: As the dictionary describes the words and thus, how the words truely are; You are offended by people being offended for whatever the reason might've been.

Rudovich said:
WhiteEagle said:
Indeed, it is your own choice. But unfortunately not someone elses. It is great that you can close yourself from the opinion of others but you should realise that some people can't. And I know that many won't understand as they do not understand what goes on in other minds but remember, not everyone is evenly capable.

Free speech is allowed, but saying bad things about a certain race or group of people can be done in more calm and subtle ways or when these people are not present.

WhiteEagle said:
Read the dictionary, to be offended simply means to be annoyed, angry or irritated. If insulted(remember, insulting can be done with more than insults), people can have an offended feeling. How angry were you when being required to do tasks non-stop on an unsheduled day because of your parents? If you get angry in these situations, you get offended aswell.

WhiteEagle said:
I too like pie.

Lovely edit: As the dictionary describes the words and thus, how the words truely are; You are offended by people being offended for whatever the reason might've been.

It is everyone's choice whether or not they care enough to value someone's opinion and take offense at it. They can simply not care.

The first definition you will find on Google: Offended - Caused to feel upset, annoyed, or resentful. Being angry is not the same as being offended. When you say that you are offended, you are saying that you have been hurt and do not want the other person to repeat what they just said - in other words you want to stop them from saying it again. We see this all the time people demanding bans and such to physically stop the person from speaking something they do not agree with and its childish and immature and damaging to the free flow of information between everyone. If they are really so hurt by it, there is always the MUTE button!

Also, I'm not offended by people being offended lol. Calling someone out for a wrongdoing which is harmful to free speech and freedom in general (don't think that those same people don't clamor for limits on free speech and freedom in real life as well) in a calm and controlled manner is not the same as being offend. You will notice that I didn't ask for any of them to be banned or stopped in what they are doing by force. I am merely persuading them to see this view and realize their mistake after which they will hopefully cease.

Thanks for the input!

You are very upset about it though, and frankly I don't see the problem.
But then, you don't see their problem. So what does this give us?

MaHuD said:
You are very upset about it though, and frankly I don't see the problem.
But then, you don't see their problem. So what does this give us?

Upset? No.

Concerned? Very much so.

Shame you don't see what I'm trying to get across. I see that they are imagining a problem, not that they have one. So I guess that gives us nothing.

If anyone else wants to follow up on both sides of the argument, check out my other thread on the FSE forums:

http://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=8396.0

*EDIT: Topic closed.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom