Texturing for dummies

Users who are viewing this thread

AKA: me, and people that have no clue whatsoever

for this lesson, im going to show you how to use existing mount and blade textures for your weapon. the program used for this is Wings3d (i make the actual weapons in blender though, wings is far easier to texture in)

1. for the first step, were going to assume you have made your model and placed it in the center, scaled it to your liking and the like. you need to get the actual weapons1.dds into a JPEG or a BMP, through a converter

2. i use DXTBmp for this, as any changes to the file have been made in paint for me. once it is opened:

dxt10qo.png

go to your mount and blade folder, go into the texture subfolder, and open up weapons1.dds

3. there will be no actual converting, so if it offers you to save in the actual converter, refuse. click on the link under image that says send to editor

4. you should now see your weapons1 image in paint, so from paint, save this as a BMP to your Wings folder (or any other folder that you want to)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wing's section

1. for this tutorial, i am going to be using my warblade (which in turn, resembles ancient wankers sword of westerness)

for the start, you should have the weapon of your choosing looking like this:

ssword14sn.jpg

*note: you should have the outliner opened in wings, that is the toolbar you can see to the right*

2. now, to start unwrapping your weapons. firstly, click on one of the parts on your weapon, right click and go to UV mapping. From there, click on force segment

ssword20sk.jpg

3. now, another window to your right should open up, showing your piece by itself. click on the middle triangle from here and begin to 'unfold it' (click on area's to align them up). an example is this swords handle, i have unfolded it like this:

ssword35ll.jpg

4. now, right click after you have completed unfolding this and select 'mark edges for cut', right click again and this time go continue, Projection normal

5. you now should get a projection of it (who would have guesed?). my sword's projection looks something similar to this

ssword48vr.jpg

the fancy new numbers don't mean anything, close the window now

6. your next goal is a simple one, go to File: import image. Remember the Weapons1.DDS that you saved as a BMP? open it

7. now, back on your outliner, you should now have 3 new things:
1.a picture of those letters that are now on your weapon
2.a new object, however, this one will have a M to the left instead of a prism
3. your weapons1 image

now, drag the weapons1 image onto your new object (the one that has the M) and click diffuse
*note* you should rename the material to something that you can remember, or else this could get confusing later on

8. your new piece should have proceded to look odd now, do not worry. the example piece now looks like this:

ssword58ie.jpg

9. from here, right click on your object again, and go back to UV mapping, this time though, click on direct.

10. now, you should have your projection on the backround of weapons1 image

ssword61wc.jpg

this is where it get's interesting. rotate and move your projection onto a texture that you want to use, and you can see a prieview on your weapons overall image

once positioned, im using the long sword handle texture on there:

ssword71sb.jpg

11. from here, you should have a general idea of what to do, you can add your textures via. paint, but that is for someone else to answer (i suck at this, remember)

when doing this, look what you can do!

ssword86nb.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
everything beyond this, you use yoshiboy's tutorial to get it into the game. you also can delete the lettering once you've mapped the actual object. good luck!

This is a very helpful tutorial for me, as every other tutorial just repeats the simple things that you can find in any tutorial. Thank you.

You need to save weapons1 as a .bmp or a .jpg - Wings 3d can't read .dds files, which is what weapons1 is.

I have downloaded the dds converter, and run it. I press convert, and it comes up a progresswindow. when it is done, and I search for the file I can only find a .dds file, not a .jpg or a .bmp file.  :sad:
Can please anywhon help me.

How do you shrink the object down to fit the image you want on it? In one picture you have the object way too big, and the next you have it resized so that it will fit the texture, but you do not tell us how you resized it.

Colt said:
How do you shrink the object down to fit the image you want on it? In one picture you have the object way too big, and the next you have it resized so that it will fit the texture, but you do not tell us how you resized it.
With the faces selected which you want to resize, right-click in the UV map window and choose Scale. You can choose to scale horizontally, vertically, or uniformly. You then simply move your mouse to scale it.

Great tutorial there. I might actually be able to make objects for my mod myself. Thank you.

Deus or Janus, can we have a sticky here by any chance? This would be a great help to modding noobs like me.

Nah, there are too many stickies as it is. However, a link to it would do well to be added to the Mod Makers Q&A thread. Post the request there, and I'm sure Thorgrim will add it.

Ok, yes, I'm bumping this up for the moment, rather than starting a new thread - for now.

Great tutorial, but I have a problem:
after unwrapping, I don't get a material.  There is a new item in the list, but it's still got a prism next to it, not an M.  I can apply the desired texture by dragging it onto of theis new item with a prism or onto the main projection,  but I'm wondering if this has anything to do with why I can't seem to get a material into brfedit. 

(I also can't get the new texture to show up in brf edit it just goes all white, but I'll deal with that when I get this sorted.)

Honestly, I don't mind swiping everyone else's models, I'd ask first if I was ever going to put my mod up for anyone else to bother with, but I wouldn't mind atleast retexturing some of my own, even just mats and tunics.

grateful, but still in much consternation as he spent all of yesterday unsuccessfully trying to put a turkey carpet in M&B,
Vako

(and yes, I know I'm an annoying idiot, but I've been playing for more than six months and this game still blows my mind with just how much is possible, I must expand my M&B horizons)

Does anyone know how to apply textures to a mesh in gmax? Cause I can't seem to figure it out.

when useing the dds converter 2 what do you do when you push convert and it says failed cuz not a power of 2 how do you make it a power of 2??

Back
Top Bottom