OSP 2D Art World Map Punkt's High Resolution Texture Pack 1.2 (Feb.16.08)

Users who are viewing this thread

punkt

Recruit
Check out version 2.0 thread, found here.

VERSION 1.2 NOW AVAILABLE!

I want to present you my texture replacement pack for Mount & Blade. I made this texture pack because I wasn't too happy about the original textures and I believed I could do better. Who knows, maybe you'll like them :smile:

NOTES
- BACKUP YOUR Mount&Blade\Textures FOLDER BEFORE USING THIS!
- Note that most of the textures are quite big (2048 x 204:cool:. I ran the game with these textures on an AMD64 3000+, 2GB RAM and a GF8600 512DDR3 with no problems.
- All textures are made from scratch or combined from other textures. Mainly I used satellite image parts for the world map textures.
- If you plan to use this texture back in your mods, I ask only to give me credits for my work and to link back to this page or the M&B repository links.

DOWNLOAD LINKS (links updated by Moderator)

Campaign Map Textures Pack 1.2
Battle Map Textures Pack 1.2
[FIX]Ocean & Blood Texture Fix for 1.1 - zip containing the fixed ocean texture & blood textures.

FILE INFO
Campaign Map Texture Pack
- 2048x2048 sized textures which will replace your original World Map textures (like plains, steppe, ocean, mountains, snow, desert, etc). Some textures in this pack will also be used in the battle maps / city maps (like desert or snow)
Battle Map Texture Pack - 2048x2048 & 1024x1024 sized textures which will replace original battle map or city map terrain textures (grass, cliffs, etc).

INSTALLATION
1 - Make a backup of your Textures folder (e.g. C:\Mount&Blade\Textures)
2 - Download the Battle Map and/or Campaign Map packs and unpack all dds files in your Textures folder (e.g. C:\Mount&Blade\Textures)
3 - Play

1.1 SCREENSHOTS (click to zoom in)
CAMPAIGN MAP TEXTURE PACK:

BATTLE MAP TEXTURE PACK:

VERSION 1.2 INFO: CHANGES & FIXES

Campaign Map:

- Fixed ocean LOD texture

Battle Map:
- Reduced texture 'sunlight reflection' trick for grass & dry grass textures
- Changed grass LOD textures
- Changed forest LOD textures
- Remade dry grass texture
- Remade cliff & stone textures

VERSION 1.1 INFO

Improved texture tiling when viewing the world at a great distance.

The campaign map textures are great when your camera is near the ground, but when you raise your view and look at the map from the sky, an ugly pattern appears as the texture repeats itself across the world. Version 1.1 will fix this and make the world map look great when viewed from the sky.

Ocean reflection simulation on world map.
By adding an transparency channel to the ocean texture I was able to create the illusion of water reflecting the sky. The water is not actually reflecting the sky, but it is transparent and you can see the sky sphere surrounding the world map and thus giving the illusion of the ocean reflecting the clouds.

Other texture improvements like sand and snow reflecting sunlight. This is also a simulation and the effect is subtle but it looks great.

:: FEEDBACK ::
Performance results from users were favorable, meaning that the texture pack didn't cause any FPS problems. At least that I know of.
If you have any problems or bugs to report, please send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff here! Be sure to check Italiano's textures pack, because your textures are quite similiar :smile:

Welcome to our forum!

Hi, thanks for the welcome :grin:

Actually i've seen Italiano's textures, and they are pretty good, at least the interior textures are (castle, walls and such), but I didn't like the world map textures. In fact I didn't find ANY good world map textures ANYWHERE (that I like at least :razz:)...

To give you an ideea of the textures in this pack, here is a lower resolution version of the 'plains' texture i've used in the world map (this is 1024x1024, the .dds file is 2048x204:cool::

These are great, although I'd like to see something a bit greener but I guess that's more of a personal preference.

because your textures are quite similiar

The campaign textures are higher res than mine as I only went to 1024x1024 and didn't want there to be much of a performance hit for most people (2048 is 16 times as large). The battle/settlement textures are the same size though.

Please suggest additional hosting sites to provide more links.

M&B Repository.

punkt, would you mind me using your campaign textures?

[quote author="Zaro"]punkt, would you mind me using your campaign textures?[/quote]
As long as you give credit, you are free to use any of them.

I wanted to make the game more dusty and dirty because I think it reflects the brutal world of Mount & Blade :grin:

[quote author="Zaro"]1024x1024 and didn't want there to be much of a performance hit for most people (2048 is 16 times as large)[/quote]
Actually 2048 is about 2 times as big (meaning that 4 1024x1024 textures fit in a single 2048 texture)

Also, I'll update the first post when I'll upload to MB Repository

Thanks for your reply

P.S. I've searched back and forth through the game's textures but I didn't find the one that annoys me the most: the snow for the mountain tops in the campaign map. Is there any way to modify the texture used on the mountain tops? because the original is horrible :smile:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrtjwqg4.png

Quick green job.

more dusty and dirty

I'm actually going in that direction too. Not currently gritty enough.

As long as you give credit

Of course  :grin:

Is there any way to modify the texture used on the mountain tops?

The snow isn't a texture, it's an effect. The native mountain file uses an alpha channel for the snow, which is also why our textures give a hard snow line while native is gradual.

Actually 2048 is about 2 times as big (meaning that 4 1024x1024 textures fit in a single 2048 texture)

4x as large as 1024, but 16x as large as native.

*Changed the photo to show altered plains and ocean.

Zaro said:
The snow isn't a texture, it's an effect. The native mountain file uses an alpha channel for the snow, which is also why our textures give a hard snow line while native is gradual.

Oh that fixed it :grin: Thanks! I've updated the screenshots, i'll add the new files in a few minutes (I'm uploading as I write this post)

killer-blead said:
tis is a great firtst post aint it?
welcome to the forum i think we can expect much of u!
ill download it right away!

Thanks! I'll post a fix for the mountain texture in a few minutes, be sure to check it out.

That new mountain texture is great.

Edit, I've added an update to my graphical mod that contains the campaign textures, with credit given of course. I recoloured them to make them look a little more lush. Your ground1 would also make a great dry grass.

Hello Punkt, the texture are amazing. But I can't use it after downloading it. This is the error i recieve when trying to extract it from my winrar.
C:\Documents and Settings\Manage\My Documents\My Completed Downloads\punkt_battle_map.1.0.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
It happens for all the files in the rar, none of it worked. Please help me to solve it, I'd like to use your texture packs. Thanks

Well done both of you, they make a fantastic combination.
Since I appeared in .6xx there's been quite a few texture packs, yours now are by far the best (and combined with the weapon expansion makes for a very pretty M&B)

How's the performance? I'm downloading the campaign map because it looks AWESOME, but I'm a bit concerned about the Battle map textures. I get around 40 frames with  high graphics on.

Well done, but 2048x2048. This is too much. You can resize them to 1024x1024. If you don't want much loadings and slow performance. And your textures will be fine. You won't see the difference in the game. :smile:

yangboy said:
Hello Punkt, the texture are amazing. But I can't use it after downloading it. This is the error i recieve when trying to extract it from my winrar.
C:\Documents and Settings\Manage\My Documents\My Completed Downloads\punkt_battle_map.1.0.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
It happens for all the files in the rar, none of it worked. Please help me to solve it, I'd like to use your texture packs. Thanks

I've tested the files with WinRar, WinZip and 7-Zip and they were ok. You need to update your winrar or winzip for unpacking.

Ibanez said:
Well done, but 2048x2048. This is too much. You can resize them to 1024x1024. If you don't want much loadings and slow performance. And your textures will be fine. You won't see the difference in the game. :smile:

I'm already planning on releasing 1024x1024 and 512x512 versions. Also, i'll optimize the textures as soon as I learn more abut the dds format. :p
I've tested the texture with my AMD64 3000+ (2,3Ghz, single core), 2GB DDR, GeForce8600 512 DDR3 and the load times and performance were ok.

edit: I'll upload the files to the M&B Repository later today

Man, you're talking about 2 gb's memory and 512 mb's video card ram. :grin: Anyway, May I use these with my mod?

You don't have to ask everytime you wish to use the textures. Just use them and give credits :grin: (and perhaps a link back to this thread would be great :grin:)

Ibanez said:
Man, you're talking about 2 gb's memory and 512 mb's video card ram. :grin:
I can run Crysis at Medium Settings MWHAHAHAHAHA  :twisted:

Seriously, my PC configuration is average considering today's hardware demands... Anyway, I said I will be releasing lower res textures.

Back
Top Bottom