Text Refreshment Mod 0.96c - Updated January 09

Users who are viewing this thread

A miniature sub-mod for the Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.2 pack that 'freshens up' the text in the game. Not compatible with version 2.3, see below for details.

Important: This mod is now 95% integrated into the main expanded mod pack as of version 2.3. The mod is largely discontinued due to be predominantly finished and a part of the main mod.

The only part of the mod not in the main pack are the troop codes, which are under revisement for the main pack and will likely be altered in future releases to be something easier to look at.

Change-log:

Version 0.96c:
This is mainly a compatibility update:

Added an alternate troops file that is compatible with the native troop tree. It also features a handful of gear changes aimed at economical realism. Gear and equipment changes include the reduction in commonality of heavy armor, swords and armored/well bred horses across the game on units who realistically could never afford them. In this alternate file swords and heavy armor are predominantly only found on nobles and mercenaries while spears were made more common with the rabble. Mercanaries are now a bit more desirable. Armored horses were significantly reduced in frequency on the battlefield, Rouncy (Saddle-Horses), Courser and Hunter horses will be more common and in that order. Cavalry are less powerful because of this and it helps counter infantry being less powerful now. This file also fixes Harringoth's and Dula's face. All changes to equipment allocation were kept with balance in mind and are my own personal preferences. See the installation section for further instructions if you wish to use this.

Take note that this alternate troops.txt file in saved-games that use the standard Floris units will not be compatible and will require a new game.

Other general changes:

The starting quest town Merchants now have names. So instead of 'Merchant of Praven' you will see for example 'Francisco Medici' for the Rhodoks, and 'Ulric Fugger' for Swadia and so on.

Fixed an an error on my part that mentioned Calradia in one instance as 'the Calradia.'

Fixed a handful of instances where the word 'Automatically' was misspelled in the menus.txt file.

Fixed a few occurrences of poor punctuation from native.

All general changes are save-game compatible.

Version 0.95b:
Text Refreshment updated to Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.2.

Changed several instances of the word 'Party' where 'Force', 'Company' or 'Retinue' was a better fit.

A few odd references to “NPC's” were replaced with something more appropriate.

A few references to your character as 'player/the player' have been replaced with something more appropriate.

Changed a few instances of the words 'Troop' and 'Troops' where 'Soldier/Soldiers' and 'Conscript' went along a better.

Changed the 'Steppe Child' background description to not mention Calradia in a way that suggests you may have grown up there (small vanilla oversight no doubt).

Replaced a few instances of the words 'Liege' and Sir/My Lord with 'His/Your Majesty' when referring to a monarch respectively. On rare occasions the liege will be a woman (and referred to in the masculine sense) or a Doge, but it was not uncommon for a Queen to take a male form of address on occasion to press her authority, and doge's always plied for titles loftier than their own.

Added a few “your grace's” when in reference to the player who either owns a town or is a faction leader. Towns are for the most duchies or the equivalent, but a few get shafted, and while an independent player faction might not own a town, he has no direct peer, so it just adds a bit of variety to things here and there.

Replaced several instances of the word 'sir' with 'my lord' when referring to a person higher in rank than that of a knight, and with 'peasant/knave' when lower.

When a faction leader offers you vassalage, but no land, you will be noted as a 'Knight-Captain' rather than a Lord/Baron.

Pretender's now get some of the respect they deserve, as exiled crown-prince's and all.

A few companions were given titles based on their lore. For example, Alayen is now 'Sir Alayen'.

Fixed a few more occurrences where factions were referenced without 'the' before their name.

Replaced a few occurrences of the word 'Faction' where 'Sovereignty' was a better fit.

Reverted player-faction base title to 'Lord' to accommodate more potential player cultures.

Fixed a few occurrences of broken English.

Several Typo's were fixed (misspellings, bad grammar, poor punctuation and so on).

Unit Name Changes:

The Nord 'Thegn' unit had it's name changed now that 'Thegn' is the lowest title for a nordic landed noble. It is now 'Jarl Guard', an elite unit consisting predominantly of the second sons of other minor nobility. Jarls were the only nobles who had the right, besides the king, to hire such retainers.

The Nord Ealdorman unit has had it's named changed, since 'Ealdorman' is, well, a Jarl (a ducal equivalent at this juncture)... and that is just silly. They are now 'Minor Thegns.' These would be the poorest of thegns who possess only small grants of land, just parts of one of the villages that we see on the map. What do I mean by 'part' of the village? Well, as explained by a developer, villages represent a 'string of hamlets and villages stretching over a wide area, totaling roughly the same amount of people on average that a town has.'

The Vaegir 'Voevoda' unit had it's named changed, it means 'General' and is frequently a ducal equivalent, as well as an 'office' fought over by the more powerful boyars. It is now 'Minor Boyar' under same guideline as the Nordic Minor Thegn.

The Vaegir 'Posadnik' unit had it's name changed, as it meant 'mayor' (of a city) and it was more of an 'office' than a peerage, as it was usually held by a non-minor Boyar elected to the position. So, they needed a demotion and are now 'Boyar Sons.' These are the second sons of Boyars with no land or inheritances of their-own who have turned mercenary to eek out a living, as noble custom demands.

The Swadian 'Baron' unit had it's name changed to 'Minor Baron' due to several vassal lords being denoted as 'Barons' and works in the same fashion as the Minor Thegn and Minor Boyar.

All changes are save-game compatible.

Version 0.93b:
Added more 'courtesy' titles to Swadia and the Rhodoks. Sons of Dukes are now Marquess' and sons of Contes are Viscontes at the start of the game.

Explanation: Courtesy titles are the titles a noble passes off to his Wife, Sons and Daughters based on the title that he has. The higher the title he has, the higher their courtesy titles are as well. This was done because the first son of a Duke, who without a peerage of his own would otherwise have no title to represent his elevated status. Since in-reality he is a major noble figure despite the likelihood of him having no land directly of his own yet, which is usually responsible for what kind of titles nobles have.

Sarranids now have Sheiks instead of Beys. This helps diversify them from the Khergits and is more in-line with an Arabic Islamic sovereignty.

Lady titles overhauled. Nords have 'Fru' as their base Lady title, Vaegirs have 'Ledi', the Rhodoks 'Signora', the Sarranids 'Sayeda' and so forth.

Other minor tweaks to improve immersion.

Features:
Removes letter and number identifications in-front of troops, thus no more 'C4/H1N1/A1 Sauce' clutter.

Changed several NPC vassal Lord titles so they have more variety overall. For example, Swadia has 'Dukes' and 'Counts' (Ducal titles were given to town owners).

A few faction leaders had their titles modified. Yaroglek for example is now a 'Velikiy Knyaz' or 'Grand Prince' to bring him closer to a royal title and to give some room for his vassals to be princes.

King Graveth is now a 'Doge,' which is technically a ducal title, but fits well with the strengthened italian rhodok themes in the Floris Mod Pack.

The 'Kingdom of Rhodoks' is now the 'Rhodok Republic' also done to fit in more with the strengthened italian theme (and the rhodoks own lore in the game).

Faction names have been modified to be more fluid. Example: Kingdom of Nords is now the 'Kingdom of the Nords'.

Kingdom of Vaegirs is now 'Grand Principality of the Vaegirs' to fit in line with their sovereign's new title.

Several instances where Kingdoms were referenced without a 'The' or 'the' before the name have been fixed.

Ladies who are married to Dukes, Counts, Beys, Jarls or any noble at the start of the game have been given titles to match their husbands.

The default vassal titles of several factions have been changed. The base title when a lord defects to Swadia for example, is 'Baron' instead of Count to denote them as lesser subjects.

Several instances of the words 'Kingdom' and 'King' where it could be referring to someone or something that is not a King or a Kingdom have been altered to refer to a 'sovereign,' 'sovereignty,' 'realm' or 'ruler' accordingly.

Changed default player kingdom's 'suggested' name to “(player-name's) Barony”, to emphasize your entry to the lowest partition of the Calradian totem pole. It remains fully customizable, 'tis only a suggestion.

A handful of the meta-menu game/mod options in-game have had slight tweaks to make them stick out less.

Several typo's and one or two pieces of broken english fixed.

Several other small changes with intent to improve immersion.

Requirements:
You will need the Expanded version of Floris Mod Pack 2.2.

It is also highly recommended that you back-up of the text files in your Modules\Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.1 folder to easily uninstall the mod if needed.

The text files you should back-up are:

Conversation.txt
Strings.txt
Troops.txt
Factions.txt
Info_Pages.txt
Menus.txt
Quick_Strings.txt

Save-Game Compatibility:
The Text Refreshment mod is mostly save game compatible. It is 'mostly' because while it will not crash or corrupt a saved game the names of the factions will not be changed without a new game. This means that in a saved game as one example Grand Prince Yaroglek would still rule a 'Kingdom' opposed to a 'Grand Principality' in the main heads up display windows. All other refrences however will note the new term.

Installation:
Unzip/UnRAR into your Modules\Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.2 folder and click 'yes' when it asks to overwrite for the basic version.

Depending on your preference you can delete or use the alternate troops.txt in the “Native Troop Tree Text Refreshemnt Compatible + Gear Reduction” folder. To install it, just take the troops.txt out of the folder and into your Data folder and overwrite the basic Text Refreshment Mod troops.txt file.

The alternate troops.txt file featuring the native troop tree in saved-games using the standard Floris units will not be compatible and will require a new game.

Un-installation:
Copy and paste the back-ups of these files into your Modules\Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.2 folder and click 'yes' when it asks to overwrite:

Conversation.txt
Strings.txt
Troops.txt
Factions.txt
Info_Pages.txt
Menus.txt
Quick_Strings.txt

Download:
Text Refreshment Mod 0.96c

Planned Features:
Finding and squashing/finishing more text anomalies.
Diversifying lady titles. - Done as of 0.93b
Rooting out broken English in the mod.
Tweaking meta-menu game/mod options in-game more to be less obtrusive to immersion. - Largely finished as of 0.95b.

Notes:
Changes to faction leader titles and faction names were done everywhere, in every reference to them that were found. If you find any however that still reference the previous title/name post it here or private message me and it will get fixed.

The alternate troops.txt file featuring the native troop tree in saved-games using the standard Floris units will not be compatible and will require a new game.

Credits:
Floris
All the makers and authors of the mod pack.

Suggestions are heavily encouraged.

will you be changing any of the troop names so they are more identifiable, as it is difficult to remember most names, other than that the mod is amazing

Looks interesting!

Will 0.95 be compatible with the native troop tree option?

Also, a more stupid question, is it really impossible to change faction names in a savegame? Maybe they could be changed directly in that savegame?

EDIT:

I noticed that the food tooltip mess-up (reported here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,152136.0.html) probably results from using 0.93b with 2.2. Just to be sure, 0.95b won't have this issue, right?

myname said:
Looks interesting!

You mean the 'Basic' Mod pack? No, unfortunately, Text Refreshment Mod 0.95b will not be compatible with that.

myname said:
Also, a more stupid question, is it really impossible to change faction names in a savegame? Maybe they could be changed directly in that savegame?

Not to my knowledge, no, and not for lack of trying.

myname said:
EDIT:

I noticed that the food tooltip mess-up (reported here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,152136.0.html) probably results from using 0.93b with 2.2. Just to be sure, 0.95b won't have this issue, right?

The food will still have a 'greyish' texture to it, but I have not run into any problems with the text saying odd things in the description or the bonus not displaying.

I am not sure the food having a gray tint is even a bug just yet.

Version 0.95b will be released imminently.

I really like the idea of more names that are descriptive of a Lords/Ladies status ..
.. but I also like the Unit Identifiers (A3, C6 etc..) at the beginning as I can assess all troops at glance..
(Although I maintain that the 'I' for Infantry should be 'F' for Footmen cos 'I' looks like a '1')

Is there a way to have both? :smile:

Text Refreshment Mod 0.95b is out:

Change-log:

Version 0.95b:
Text Refreshment updated to Floris Expanded Mod Pack 2.2.

Changed several instances of the word 'Party' where 'Force', 'Company' or 'Retinue' was a better fit.

A few odd references to “NPC's” were replaced with something more appropriate.

A few references to your character as 'player/the player' have been replaced with something more appropriate.

Changed a few instances of the words 'Troop' and 'Troops' where 'Soldier/Soldiers' and 'Conscript' went along a better.

Changed the 'Steppe Child' background description to not mention Calradia in a way that suggests you may have grown up there (small vanilla oversight no doubt).

Replaced a few instances of the words 'Liege' and Sir/My Lord with 'His/Your Majesty' when referring to a monarch respectively. On rare occasions the liege will be a woman (and referred to in the masculine sense) or a Doge, but it was not uncommon for a Queen to take a male form of address on occasion to press her authority, and doge's always plied for titles loftier than their own.

Added a few “your grace's” when in reference to the player who either owns a town or is a faction leader. Towns are for the most duchies or the equivalent, but a few get shafted, and while an independent player faction might not own a town, he has no direct peer, so it just adds a bit of variety to things here and there.

Replaced several instances of the word 'sir' with 'my lord' when referring to a person higher in rank than that of a knight, and with 'peasant/knave' when lower.

When a faction leader offers you vassalage, but no land, you will be noted as a 'Knight-Captain' rather than a Lord/Baron.

Pretender's now get some of the respect they deserve, as exiled crown-prince's and all.

A few companions were given titles based on their lore. For example, Alayen is now 'Sir Alayen'.

Fixed a few more occurrences where factions were referenced without 'the' before their name.

Replaced a few occurrences of the word 'Faction' where 'Sovereignty' was a better fit.

Reverted player-faction base title to 'Lord' to accommodate more potential player cultures.

Fixed a few occurrences of broken English.

Several Typo's were fixed (misspellings, bad grammar, poor punctuation and so on).

Unit Name Changes:

The Nord 'Thegn' unit had it's name changed now that 'Thegn' is the lowest title for a nordic landed noble. It is now 'Jarl Guard', an elite unit consisting predominantly of the second sons of other minor nobility. Jarls were the only nobles who had the right, besides the king, to hire such retainers.

The Nord Ealdorman unit has had it's named changed, since 'Ealdorman' is, well, a Jarl (a ducal equivalent at this juncture)... and that is just silly. They are now 'Minor Thegns.' These would be the poorest of thegns who possess only small grants of land, just parts of one of the villages that we see on the map. What do I mean by 'part' of the village? Well, as explained by a developer, villages represent a 'string of hamlets and villages stretching over a wide area, totaling roughly the same amount of people on average that a town has.'

The Vaegir 'Voevoda' unit had it's named changed, it means 'General' and is frequently a ducal equivalent, as well as an 'office' fought over by the more powerful boyars. It is now 'Minor Boyar' under same guideline as the Nordic Minor Thegn.

The Vaegir 'Posadnik' unit had it's name changed, as it meant 'mayor' (of a city) and it was more of an 'office' than a peerage, as it was usually held by a non-minor Boyar elected to the position. So, they needed a demotion and are now 'Boyar Sons.' These are the second sons of Boyars with no land or inheritances of their-own who have turned mercenary to eek out a living, as noble custom demands.

Hieronymous said:
I really like the idea of more names that are descriptive of a Lords/Ladies status ..

As do I... what would be best however, after some thought, would be the Expanded Nobility Title System Kit's implementation to the Floris Mod pack. It blows my title changes out of the water with ones that dynamically change for NPC and player-alike, based on who is King, how much territory is owned, what kind, gender status and marriage status.

I may take matters 'into my own hands' with that, too.

Hieronymous said:
.. but I also like the Unit Identifiers (A3, C6 etc..) at the beginning as I can assess all troops at glance..
(Although I maintain that the 'I' for Infantry should be 'F' for Footmen cos 'I' looks like a '1')

Is there a way to have both? :smile:

I thought the 'I' was distracting also. Is that an 'L' I wondered, a 1? An 'I'? And then I saw a few mercenaries in a couple taverns and fell over laughing at 'C4 So and So'.  I understand the idea behind them... but as a history buff they were kind of redundant since I could transliterate all of the unit names from their native languages fairly easily.

Shaxx said:
myname said:
Looks interesting!

You mean the 'Basic' Mod pack? No, unfortunately, Text Refreshment Mod 0.95b will not be compatible with that.

No, I meant using the native troop tree with the Expanded Mod pack (From the Introduction + Downloads page: "If you want the native troop tree, without any of the new items assigned to the troops, you can download an optional patch").

Is that possible?

You won't have the native troop tree if you dl this one. If you feel like text editing you take take the entries from King Harlaus down to the end of heroes if you want his edits regarding nobles and ladies and plop them down in the native troop tree troops.txt file you speak of. 

Boeing said:
You won't have the native troop tree if you dl this one. If you feel like text editing you take take the entries from King Harlaus down to the end of heroes if you want his edits regarding nobles and ladies and plop them down in the native troop tree troops.txt file you speak of.

Thanks! Would that be the only file I have to edit?

Great minimod.

One thing which I find very irritating is the misspelling of 'automatically' in the auto-buy, auto-loot and auto-sell menus, so I suggest fixing that in the next version. I had another thing to suggest but I've forgotten it... I'll edit this or repost if/when I remember.

Id like to say thanks for making it. Its really helps, getting rid of those pesky troop codes. Ive yet to see the new dialouge but Im sure itll show up!! Thanks!!

I'll be including this minimod in the next update :smile: (well, except for the removal of the troop codes: I made a poll to see what most people want). There are quite some good corrections in there! Thanks :smile:.

Back
Top Bottom