texas curriculum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Uhtred Ragnarson

Knight at Arms
Anybody hear about the changes Texas wants to make to history textbooks?

~emphasize free enterprise
~discredit hiphop as a cultural movement while bolstering country music
~downplay Thomas Jefferson as a founder father because he coined the term "seperation of church and state"
~promote patriotism/military

this, along with the new Arizona laws depress me. :sad:

It simply bothers me that texas considers itself a Southern state. It's culture is some kind of audacious hybrid betweem the South and the West. It's cocky enough to proclaim itself good enough to be a seperate nation yet at the same time parasiticly considers itself an integral part of the South which it is not, nor is it wanted.

Exleast not by your more gentle born Southern town folk....

Return the damned thing to Mexico I say!

Bah, we should just let Texas secede so it can become the backward fascist theocracy with free guns and death penalties for everyone that it has always wanted to be. 

Uhtred Ragnarson said:

~downplay Thomas Jefferson as a founder father because he coined the term "seperation of church and state"

at least one positive thing then. ;P

Hehe, agreed.  Although I have met individual Texans I liked (and even several here on the forums), as a whole it is a loathsome place with loathsome people IMO.  I swear to God that on two of my trips to Europe, the loud and obnoxious Americans that I encountered were (as I guessed and later had confirmed in both cases) from Texas...mind you that is coming from a New Yorker.  Anyway, the **** they are pulling here is perhaps the most despicable assault on education and progress this country has seen in decades.  Bunch of bow-legged ****heads.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:

Texas just understands that the only way to greatness is through the admiration and promotion of good business, the unification of the culture, the importance of both the church and the state in public and private life, and the righteousness and safety of nationalism and militarism!

FrisianDude said:
Let's set Texas on fire.
Please don't; I'd rather not burn.

That being said, the proliferation of disdain for the State of Texas within the thread is both despicable and ultimately unnecessary.  The vast majority of Texans are generally more conservative than the composition of other states, although Texans are amongst the most friendly people I've ever known. 

Personally, I live in a town which was quite literally the last school district within the entire nation to desegregate its schools, yet today, the Civil Rights movement is taught as having just as much prominence as any other important event within U.S. history.  As far as the pride goes, yes many of us Texans are proud of our state, as it currently stands amongst the best state economies in the nation, was the only state to have the honor of existing as a country and defeating another (for however short a time that may have been,) and many often see their neighbors as brothers united as one people, which is a definite sensation which many Americans no longer hold.  The state is also home to some of the nation's largest cities with prominence in the fields of transportation, aeronautics, and health care, with the world's largest concentration of health care research institutions in the entire world.  That being said, I do not by any means suggest citizens of Texas are better than any other state.

Now to address the issue of the textbooks' revision:
I do believe that this move is a despicable act by the Texas Board of Education, which has allowed itself to be manipulated by interest groups rather than the factual information that should be imparted upon students.  The "Board" seriously needs to take a step back, look at their decisions' motivation and consequences, and revert the changes made to curriculum.  It is my sincere hope that the members of the board have their positions called into question by the state legislature, wherein such things will not be allowed to occur in the future.

Students should be taught facts, not agenda.

A great deal of religious people seem to believe that evolution and science is a 'religion', though.

But enough topic derailment.

Verbeek said:
Vilhjalmr said:
There is no such thing as Darwinism.

Excuse me?

Science doesn't tend to name it's theories after people :razz:. Tis' called evolution. The theory of evolution was around in bits and pieces from several authors positing different forms of it before Darwin came up with a more universal, rounded, and backed up theory.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
I think he is saying that there is no Darwinism, as in there is no Einsteinism. It is a truth, not a belief. Therefore, no ism :grin:
The darwin-ism, is a correct term and often used, it's a certain discours in research where ppl base themselves on darwins theories to explain certain things (like behaviour, f.e)
But i see what you mean  :smile:

Swadius said:
Science doesn't tend to name it's theories after people :razz:. Tis' called evolution. The theory of evolution was around in bits and pieces from several authors positing different forms of it before Darwin came up with a more universal, rounded, and backed up theory.

Not really, Darwins own theory was not quite finished or 'waterproof' at all. And 'science' does not name. Scientists do, and they DO tend to name their theories after themselves  :razz:

socks said:
A great deal of religious people seem to believe that evolution and science is a 'religion', though.

It's quite the other way around, really. You're basing yourself on the small group of stereotypical preaching (American) morons, who devote their lives to the LAWRD, or the muslim fundamentalists who live by the Koran, and all that ****. Who are a loud mouthed but quite small group.. Though Texas is possibly filled with them evangelists and all, 'the religious people', as you generally call it, do not have the slightest problem with evolution, or any science,  because it's science and proven truth and because it.simply.has.nothing.to.do.with.religion
However on this forum I see rather atheists piling up stereotypes and taking big long craps on a poor evangelist kid instead of considering the possibility that christians, generally, are rational people, who are in no way different from you, except maybe nicer to talk to or be around. You should know this, If you don't and keep being ignorant *****es, scolding people because of their religious statutes, and generalizing ****, you might as well say 'the arabs is terroristz' and 'jewzs bankz taking ma money!' in all sincerity. What is this ****? "I'm no religious, so I am against it, even though I don't have the slightest experience or idea of how that is or what that even means to a person, although it's different for any person, but still they ALL mah enemy!"? that's how you sound to me  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom