OSP Other 2D Art Terrain Textures mod 2.0 update (for M&B 0.751)

Users who are viewing this thread

Chel

Master Knight
2.0 update
-The textures now look practically seamless, less tiled. A small drawback is you might notice some patterns. That means you should be paying more attention to the fighting :razz:
-New world map desert texture.
-Two new river textures, clear water and muddy water.
-Improved grassland texture, less saturated, more natural.

This package contains new or edited M&B terrain textures for the world map and battles and a new menu texture. Will work with almost any other mod.

To install:
Place the Textures folder into your mod's folder under Mount&Blade/Modules/[mod]/, or Mount&Blade/Modules/Native/ if you aren't using any mod.
Make sure the module_info.txt file in the mod's folder contains the following line.

scan_module_textures = 1 (not scan_module_textures = 0)

If there are any particular textures you do not like, simply delete the corresponding file and the game will use the default texture in its place.

Download here (link updated, Earendil, Moderator): https://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=203
(Thank you Janus)

Contents of the package

bg2.dds - new menu background
dialogue_window.dds - same new background in dialogue screen
inventory_window.dds - same new background in inventory screen
quests_window.dds - same new background in quest screen

desert.dds - new world map desert texture
show91mk.jpg

dry_grass.dds - new texture for battles in the desert
show34uy.jpg

ground1.dds - new texture for battles in the grasslands, autumn.
show101un.jpg

(actual texture is less colorful than the screenshot, more like terrain in clear and muddy water screenshots below)

1-ground1.dds - new texture for battles in the grasslands, summer.
show81ue.jpg

(actual texture is less colorful than the screenshot)

mountain.dds - default world map mountain texture, darkened

ocean.dds - default world map water texture, lightened
1-ocean.dds - darker version of the same texture.

plain.dds - new texture for world map grassland
show124zf.jpg

1-plain.dds - darker greener version of the same texture

river.dds - default water texture, now light blue and not green
1-river.dds - darker version of the same texture

2-river.dds - clear water texture
show135yr.jpg

3-river.dds - muddy water texture
show145ld.jpg

snow.dds - default snow texture, now not blinding white, a little blue-gray. Can read text on it now.
stone.dds - default battle texture for slopes, darkened and sharpened
synth_patch_rock_a.dds - default battle texture for slopes desert and rocks, darkened and sharpened.

If you would like to use a different version of some texture, delete it's file ( river.dds for example ) and remove the '1-' in the name of the corresponding file by renaming it ( 1-river.dds in this case )

Have fun.

If any mod creator would like to use any of these textures, you are welcome.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I gave it a shot, I'm not sure how MNB's texturing system works like ie. how normal mapping works, but I assume that there's a normal map and a diffuse map, and they have different LODs. I assume that you've changed the normal mapping; I like the bump maps, especially on the snow mountains

However, the textures don't blend in seamlessly like Armie's default ones. They end up looking very blocky and tiled. You could work on blending them in seamlessly

I've put a few of these into Craftmod, namely:

mountain.dds
ocean.dds
snow.dds
stone.dds
synth_patch_rock_a.dds

I likes them. Thanks for releasing these, Chel.

Turbulently,
Winter

Yesm, try new things. There's always room for improvement, no matter how good the original is. (Not that the first was bad. Quite the contrary)

Very good work
, Keep it up, however, the interface screen is a bit repetitive, maybe you could use a different image for each interface in the same style? (Very good job though)

I've got every cossacks type game :smile: including the american conquest series. It was clever the way the did the terrain.

Is it just me, or is the color saturation really really high on those? Other than that the textures themselves look good.

I like the first one, second one, and the last one completely, they look spot on.
I like the world map grass texture in the first one like I mentioned, but not the new overly vibrant one towards the bottom.

Chel said:
Glad to hear Winter (and Leprechaun). But you didn't like the plain.dds (the worldmap green stuff)? I actually thought that was the best one.

It was the best one, except possibly for the mountain texture, but I don't think it really worked. Not as something covering the whole map.

When we get moddable textures, though, I'll look forward to using it.

Choosily,
Winter

Janus said:
Winter said:
When we get moddable textures, though, I'll look forward to using it.
I assume you mean being able to add new terrain types? Yeah, that would be rather nice.

Don't hold your breath for that.  Last time I spoke to Armagan it wasn't likely to happen in M&B 1.0 unfortunately.

The textures look great though, even better once de-saturated a little :smile:

Armagan should really buy himself a really nice grass texture (as well as other terrain), it would make the game look lots better and he would get even more interest just out of better looking screenshots.

Like this one, $20, it looks very good
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/240824/SID/226798/blFP/1

Chel said:
Armagan should really buy himself a really nice grass texture (as well as other terrain), it would make the game look lots better and he would get even more interest just out of better looking screenshots.

Like this one, $20, it looks very good
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/240824/SID/226798/blFP/1
Well, yeah, but that thing is massive. Do you realize what the file size would be for a DDS of it? The JPEG alone is 14mb! :eek:

We would resize it? :grin:

Or here's a smaller, and cheaper one, only $5, looks almost as good
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/226798

EDIT: Okay, I figured out a way I can make the textures look more seamless, you almost won't notice the lines at all.

Just look at those fishermen enjoying the weather :grin:

show81ue.jpg

show101un.jpg

Which of these two do you prefer?

And I'm now getting some usable desert texture

show91mk.jpg

are the resolutions higher then standart textures ?

just want to know that, cause my graphics card won't do well with high res textures. Don't want a performance hit by them...

thanks for your help.

Not a bad desert texture there. The other grass textures are looking good other than still being a little too vibrant for my tastes.

Another thing I forgot to mention, real river water does not look blue. It tends to be somewhere between brownish and clear. Of course yours would look more bizarre to me if there weren't so many other games with bright blue rivers which have inundated me against it. :wink:

Oh, that smaller $5 texture you linked to looks like golf course grass. It definitely does not look like natural untended grass. :razz:

EDIT: I really hope I'm not coming off sounding harsh, I'm just trying to give constructive criticism for an overall cool texture pack.

Back
Top Bottom