SP - General Temples and religious sites

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it could be pretty cool if there were religious sites and "villages" on the campaign map where you could donate wealth to and allow your troops to rest to "boost moral" and maybe even receive omens which could randomly give you a boost or penalty based on what is seen by the "oracle" and they could be influenced by how much you donated.

An enemy could also raid a religious site for loot reducing the moral and relations with the faction who owns the religious site or temple "village"

Additions from comments and ideas:
hey could make artifical religions based upon worship of the cosmos (like the empire), worship of the founder ruler (aseri), worship of ancestors (the norse-like nation), the celts/battanians can worship animals and make human sacrifices, and the khuzaits could have shamans & worship the sky/ horses, and the last guys (feudal nation/vlad) could worship a solar deity (sun).

The empire citizens would talk about myths and how heros and gods fought alongside each other against magnificent enemies such as giants and three headed beasts. They can have various festivals and have large temples they donate a portion of their wealth to each year. They can have an oracle located between all three nations that can give omens for a price/bribe.

The aseri can have fasting holidays and donate generously to the less fortunate in their empires with the wealth they collect from trade. They can build a pyramid for their clan ancestors.

The celts could gain morale from worshiping animals. They can we can wear bear skins as that would be their primary diety. You could also find totems or idols to cats, dogs, deer, or cows. Each village would have their own animal they pick to favor above others. With the bear being held higher than all others.

Celts, Gaulls and Germanic Tribes cross-over in Calradia better known as Battanians

1. Religion doctrine:
Politheism, set on man/woman equality and their affilation to the land, ancestral ghosts and nature
2. Pantheon main dieties: Strong Man Character prefereably a Warrior or Hunter and his Female companion full of pity and mercy but fully capable for revange. Lesser gods - their children and siblings depicted as half human half animal
3. Soul's final destinatiosn: Not really defined pleace in terms of afterlife :smile: Return to mother earth's (mother Calradia's) true womb. Let us technically call it: Mother's Womb :smile:, everything goes in circles, no hell but spirits can be damned and find themselves lost / tied to their previous life.
4. Source of gods: Nature (trees - Battania = trees, this is were i would emphasise the trees, not in Sturgian believes), elements (sun & fire), dark and light (life and dead)..
5. Holy places: Forest shrines, Open air sites, Stonehenge like monolithic circles
6. Priests: Woman and Man, Equal Druids and Druidees :smile:
7. Symbol: Celtic Triskelion already a part of Battanian's Coat of arms...
8. In game presence: For me it can be a town background (@Sparticulous nice job defining festivals and seasons colors etc.) without controversial interactions so: Shrines (that can provide certain bonuses for cities and castles so you can feel it lives), Random priests wondering on the streets.
9: Quests: Fetch me a 10 sacrificial lambs, and so on..., Wood needed charcoal for ceremonial / burial stake...
10. Traits: Piety (same for all)
11. Perks: Fits into social. Charm - "Favoured by the Goods" +2 to relation with people following same religion. (same for all)
12. Special units: Druidic guards

Slavic and Norse Tribes cross-over in Calradia better known as Sturgians

1. Religion doctrine:
Politheism, set on man/woman equality and their affilation to the land and sea (possibly in the future), ancestral ghosts and nature. (@Sparticulous i'd rather choose Norse mythology rather than slavic as the latter is heavilly influenced by the vikings conquests.)
2. Pantheon main dieties: Strong Main Man's Characters capable of wielding the powers of the elements (e.g. Thunder :wink:), Female Main God(s) are as blunt and strong as man, not really merciful but always happy to avenge. More family/saga centered, pragmatic as the living condition on the north are hard = protectors of the household. Lesser gods - their children and siblings depicted as fauns, fearies, elves, valkyires...
3. Soul's final destinations: Haeven Like: Hall of the Warriors :smile: Neverending feast for man and woman, all people will have their place by the table.. or by the fire. Hell: White Abyss where souls wonder aroung in constant blizzard.
4. Source of gods: Nature, especially Sea (Sturgians = Sea) and snow mountains, elements (water & earth), dark and light (life and dead)..
5. Holy places: Forest shrines with skulls of animals, Wooden triangle shaped churches, Huge carved rocks with runes
6. Priests: Woman and Man, Equals, called Sorcerers.
7. Symbol: Rune writing symbol, ...
8. In game presence: Same as before for battanians + Shrines (that can provide certain bonuses for cities and castles so you can feel it lives), Random priests wondering on the streets.
9: Quests: Fetch me a 10 sacrificial lambs, cows and so on..., Wood or charcoal needed for ceremonial / burial stake...
11. Perks: Fits into social. Charm - "Favoured by the Goods" +2 to relation with people following same religion. (same for all)
12. Special units: Berserkers

Magyars, Huns, Tartars, Mongols, Turks of Rum, Dothraki :wink: in different words Steppe Horse lords mix in Calradia better known as Khuzaits

1. Religion doctrine:
Politheism, Animism, Totemism and Shamanism favoring man or at least manly activities as great life purpose. Affilating nature attributes: vast plains, steppes and sky, ancestral ghosts are very important
2. Pantheon main dieties: The Great God Spirit of Sky, The Pure Horse and Mother Plain (giving the life to horses which are in the center of all Khuzaits activities). Lesser deities: Spirits (ancestral, animal, having different characters and traits both good and darkness involved).
3. Soul's final destinations: Eternal horse pursuit on the "heavenly" plains, Hell: Wandering around without horse in Oblivion
4. Source of gods: Nature, Especially Air (sky) and earth (land), Horses !! (Khuzait = Horses), other animals with their typical traits...
5. Holy places: Totems, Open air structures with plenty of colorful banners, kites and small flags, yurta shaped churches...
6. Priests: Shamans (man only),
7. Symbol: Geometrical Tengri-like shape sign... already used in some Khuzaits CoA
8. In game presence: Same as before for battanians + Shrines (that can provide certain bonuses for cities and castles so you can feel it lives), Random priests wondering on the streets.
9: Quests: Fetch me a 10 steppe warhorses for the ceremonial blessing (they would not sacrifice horses as they feel their souls are equal to human's..., Wood needed for ceremonial / burial stake...
12. Special units: Holy Horse Breader

So far it was pretty easy.. now the fun begins.

Small Digression: And here we are ...monotheistic religions with holy books. Potentially very hard but i would like to point out that some game developers did that right, completely avoiding sensitive content. A prophet (Andraste chosen by the Maker) centered storyline in Dragon Age Origins is IMHO perfect example. So in real life we have Christianity, Orthodox or East Christianity and Islam. One may say perfect fit for Vlandia, Empire and Aserai... How to build equlibrium between those three, in many ways heavilly connected religions (One God, Book, etc) and at the same time in so many ways different (examples, really ?), from a scratch, without looking into so sensitive narrations. I think the key is to create artificial "Maker = Andraste" relation and present what each nation could digest from "the Story" to serve their purpose. So without further ado...

-- This is the first religion i created so if anybody has already some experience in that.,..please be nice. --

So, we need a starting point ... let say: There was a Man (hold your horses there is also Woman part in that :smile: ) who heard a voice (lol i laugh to myself writing this) saying that he was chosen (as explained later: to write the wisdom which the voice was going to tell him).

The voice introduced itself as the Voice of Thruth (a Word of Life, a Creator of the Worlds, as an Infinite Engineer, name it :smile:) and told the Man he has to travel to find the wisdom which will be later explained by the voice so he can write it down. The man who was a scholar listened to the Voice, packed up anything he could carry and hit the road looking for some unknown encounters. And so he traveled, writing truth about nature of life (generally universal ethics, source of common sayings, and stuff). When there was the last chapter left to write (as the voice forspoken), man felt tired and lied down to rest on the desert. When he was looking at the stars, laying next to the fireplace he made, a miracle happened... "Here comes the miracle we need to create" (Example: A wild animal speaking with the Voice approaching from the dark dessert not afraid of fire). Voice explained that somewhere in the Desert Village lives a Woman that has to be found as she is purest thing on earth (Calradia), she is also good, merciful, beautiful, never was angry, never had a headake and she is of pure hearth as no other person in the world. The Voice explained to the Man that she (The Woman) will write the last chapter. This temporarily angered and upset the Man but eventually agreed that he will again listen to the Voice. So he traveled some more, asking around and looking for the most generous, merciful, honest and good looking person Calradia has ever whitnessed. With no luck, eventually he found trouble instead. And so after typical religious coincidence, he will find her in time of need, after being robbed almost killed and so on.. She will heal his wounds, he will eventually fall in love with her. The Voice will explain him that she knows the Voice (as "the V" explained - they met in her head similarily as they met with the Man ;p). TV (The Voice) will tell him to take care about her and that they should hit the road together. So they will travel together helping people, spreading the wisdom of the Voice, and this is when she will write the last chapter about, self-sacrifice to others, piety, love, forgiveness, and so on. Things nobody else could write (not him for sure). Long story short...During one of their travels through wild regions of Calradia they will be kidnapped by some "pre-empire calradian barbarians not associated with no known faction" and brought in front of their lord (king). He will ask for their teachings but those advices will not please him, not to mention the promise of the soul salvation after following the voice teachings. After some more disapointing talks he will decide to behead (we can find some other fancy ways to depict here) both of them. Listening to all that and whitnessing the execution there will a person (man or woman) who will belive all this stuff and protect the holy book (first acolyte). Book will be later copied, some parts of the book will be lost, some will be edited, some will be changed :smile: All in all some of the Book's chapters will survive and become the guidline for next generations of Calradians including Aserai, Vlandians and Empire folks.

End of the main plot here. Didn't mean to offend anybody in the process... :smile:

Byzantine Romans or Eastern Roman Empire better known as the Empire(s)

1. Religion doctrine: Monotheism, Praise to the only God (whose name isn't known, sometimes described in the Book, as the Voice), prophets known: Man and Woman. Equally worshipped
2. Pantheon main dieties: God, He an She (Holy couple)
3. Soul's final destinations: Heaven - what else, peaceful and quiet,... and Hell as the place of worst nightmares.
4. Source of gods: The Book of the Voice, Martyrology of the couple
5. Holy places: Churches, Shrines, Monastics and Temples late roman empire / byzantine style
6. Priests: Bishop, Acolytes, or simply priests
7. Symbol: V like the Voice :wink:, any other letter, Man and Woman holding hands (@Sparticulous: Any ideas ?)
9: Quests: Fetch me a bread and/or fish 10 each, for the ceremonial blessing, Donation needed. What if not the pure gold will pay for the new temples ? huh ?
12. Special units: Episkopos (Bishop in Greek) Guard

Early Middle Ages feudal French, English and Holy Roman Empire / German Kingdoms better known as the Vlandia

1. Religion doctrine: Monotheism, Praise to the only God (whose name isn't known, sometimes described in the Book, as the Voice), prophets: known: the Woman (lady of the lake of some sort, some Vlandians knigth's patron, paragon of Virtues, Many Vladians knights would die and kill with her name on their lips), the Man is not considered to have TV's spark he was rather a tool in TV's hands, a lesser character. This is what they read in their version of the book. They are very inquisitive about their faith (@Sparticulous). Those people would are first to start crusades
2. Pantheon main dieties: God, She (Holy lady), and some man that was told to find her...
3. Soul's final destinations: Heaven - what else, peaceful and quiet, better haeven for those who fought for the God... and Hell as the place of worst nightmares and total dispair.
4. Source of gods: Voice's Book. Lady's tales.
5. Holy places: Churches, Shrines, Monastic Orders (Warrior Monks) and Temples early latin style
6. Priests: Bishops, Archbishops, Acolytes, or simply priests
7. Symbol: V like the Voice :wink:, any other letter, the Woman's depiction (@Sparticulous: Any ideas ?)
9: Quests: Fetch me a bread and/or fish 10 each, for the ceremonial blessing, Donation needed. What if not the pure gold will pay for the new temples ? huh ? Defend from the raiders - Kill the filthy pagans ,etc.
12. Special units: Crusader

Various Sultanates, Khaliphates, Emirates, Egyptian / Mameluke, Arabic culture inspired Tribes better known as the Aserai

1. Religion doctrine: Monotheism, Source of wisdom coming from the only God (whose name isn't known, sometimes described in the Book, as the Voice of Wisdom), prophets: known: the Man (Great Man who was Chosen by the Voice to fulfil its destiny, Aserai are fond of his wisdom and the fact he came from the dessert land close to where their realm is placed), the Man is considered main character but the Woman is tolerated as his companion but nonetheless she isn't that important in the eyes of Aserai. At least this is what they read in their version of the book. They are very tolerant for other faiths and beliefs. They value wisdom, science and logical thinking spread through the Voice's teachings.
2. Pantheon main dieties: The only God (Voice), Prophet (Holy Scholar), the Woman. Period.
3. Soul's final destinations: Heaven - what else, peaceful and quiet, in the shine of God's wisdom... and Hell as the place of worst nightmares and total dispair.
4. Source of gods: Book of the Voice. Prophets journeys.
5. Holy places: Churches (Mosq style), Shrines, Monastic Orders (Assassins) and Temples (Arabic)
6. Priests: Priests of the Voice, help me out people, what can be said here ... ???
7. Symbol:
V like the Voice :wink:, any other letter, the Book depiction as the source of Wisdom
9: Quests: Fetch me a dates and grapes 10 each, for the ceremonial blessing, Donation needed. What if not the pure gold will pay for the new temples ? huh ? Spread the word. Visit 3 settlements and invite their leaders for the festival.
12. Special units: Assassin

Thank you for bearing with me. I hope you are still the same person as before. I hope nobody was offended in the process - that was not my intention.

I hope you find it interesting :grin:

Things that may be hard to not implement due to how religion works in reality but is cheap and puts pressures on the gamers to do it:

cheap bonuses to moral when one prays at holy sites/ religious monuments for blessings from their deity(ies)

Things we want to avoid below:
There is also the annoying thing a lot of games do where populations of different religions can't stand to live under a heathen ruler, and you're forced to either massacre them or force convert them. Not only is this completely divorced from history, it's just stupid, and slows down the game in favour of busywork.

human sacrifice

misconceptions of real religions from which some concepts can be borrowed from, as we do not to insult any current world religion and push away customers

Last edited:
I think it could be pretty cool if there were religious sites and "villages" on the campaign map where you could donate wealth to and allow your troops to rest to "boost moral" and maybe even receive omens which could randomly give you a boost or penalty based on what is seen by the "oracle" and they could be influenced by how much you donated.

Mount & Blade's titles (except maybe historical ones) avoid religion as a concept. It is both interesting and unrealistic to me. Humans history shows that common folk in the ancient, middle-ages, name it - setting would usually put their believes and praises into some unknown and powerful powers rather to their mind and muscles. No difference today.

Calradians work, breath, eat, drink, party, kill, laugh, trade...do all the stuff that any human being would usually do...except praying, making sacrifices, donating earthly belongings to get good fortunes. One would say they lack the purpose in live - i'd say they live their lives the best they can. As much no religion in M&B is an interesting concept (i very much like) - it is completely unrealistic.

An enemy could also raid a religious site for loot reducing the moral and relations with the faction who owns the religious site or temple "village"

Features you mentioned may add some depth to the game but this will no longer be M&B we know. Before you will introduce raiding chappels feature, you need to create whole lore behind, gods, panteons, religion culture, priests... seems to be a lot of work.

P.S. "Order of the hand" resembles some kind of cult-like secret society. When i first encountered them in Bannerlord - i was shocked :grin:

Features you mentioned may add some depth to the game but this will no longer be M&B we know. Before you will introduce raiding chappels feature, you need to create whole lore behind, gods, panteons, religion culture, priests... seems to be a lot of work.

It does fit with the historical peoples these factions are based upon, though. Byzantium was heavily Christianized by the 9th century (the 3 Imperial factions), the Norse (Sturgia) had already raided important religious sites in Britain (Battania).

I think it doesn't fit in the vanilla game, but it could be cool for medieval mods. Also, i like to have construction projects like cathedrals or mosques, that incressing your renown to control or building.

It does fit with the historical peoples these factions are based upon, though. Byzantium was heavily Christianized by the 9th century (the 3 Imperial factions), the Norse (Sturgia) had already raided important religious sites in Britain (Battania).

If you just look at the time period it all fits. But you simply cannot take Christianity, Orthodox, Islam and Paganism (with that it seems feasible) and insert them into calradian reality. Those were turbulent times of history and many died for their beliefs. Religion will only multiply division among people and i kinda suspect Devs know all this...

I think it doesn't fit in the vanilla game, but it could be cool for medieval mods. Also, i like to have construction projects like cathedrals or mosques, that incressing your renown to control or building.

Agree !

If you just look at the time period it all fits. But you simply cannot take Christianity, Orthodox, Islam and Paganism (with that it seems feasible) and insert them into calradian reality. Those were turbulent times of history and many died for their beliefs. Religion will only multiply division among people and i kinda suspect Devs know all this...

Agree !
They could make artifical religions based upon worship of the cosmos (like the empire), worship of the founder ruler (aseri), worship of ancestors (the norse-like nation), the celts/battanians can worship animals and make human sacrifices, and the khuzaits could have shamans & worship the sky/ horses, and the last guys (feudal nation/vlad) could worship a solar deity (sun).

The empire citizens would talk about myths and how heros and gods fought alongside each other against magnificent enemies such as giants and three headed beasts. They can have various festivals and have large temples they donate a portion of their wealth to each year. They can have an oracle located between all three nations that can give omens for a price/bribe.

The aseri can have fasting holidays and donate generously to the less fortunate in their empires with the wealth they collect from trade. They can build a pyramid for their clan ancestors.

The celts could gain morale from sacrificing prisoners to their gods. They can leave a burning pyre on the map for x amount of days.

Last edited:
The problem with trying to put religion into an RPG is that religious practices are ritualistic and abstract, meaning they never make for good game mechanics. For instance having a feature where you do some task in a temple and get a bonus feels really cheap and superfluous to me, because you're forced to do it all the time.

There is also the annoying thing a lot of games do where populations of different religions can't stand to live under a heathen ruler, and you're forced to either massacre them or force convert them. Not only is this completely divorced from history, it's just stupid, and slows down the game in favour of busywork.

A system I would be fine with is one where some vassals or even clans could be priests, and would interact with the king and other lords differently. The conflict between secular and ecclesiastical feudal power is something I think most games just ignore.

They could make artifical religions based upon worship of the cosmos (like the empire), worship of the founder ruler (aseri), worship of ancestors (the norse-like nation), the celts/battanians can worship animals and make human sacrifices, and the khuzaits could have shamans & worship the sky/ horses, and the last guys (feudal nation/vlad) could worship a solar deity (sun).

Quote is aplicable for the whole of your post i just couldn't do it on my cell phone :wink:

All in all i like the concept. Nice job describing those religions . Next step is to define interactions, which religion is more inquisitive which is more peaceful. Maybe some monotheistic deities would claim they right to be more true than others (like in real life). Holy wars ? Why not. Worior monks nobles. Why not. Crusades. Even better. Do we need something else beforehand.. diplomacy, new perks, separate culture perks, new buildings, hurch mechanics... So all in all i am pesimistic but same time curious to see how this would work.
The problem with trying to put religion into an RPG is that religious practices are ritualistic and abstract, meaning they never make for good game mechanics. For instance having a feature where you do some task in a temple and get a bonus feels really cheap and superfluous to me, because you're forced to do it all the time.

It would be hard to aim higher than that :smile: See the shrine. Boost morale. Repeat.

Agree.
A system I would be fine with is one where some vassals or even clans could be priests, and would interact with the king and other lords differently. The conflict between secular and ecclesiastical feudal power is something I think most games just ignore.
Interesting but considering current game mechanics even that is hard to implement from various reasons mentioned above.

Well another thing that we could add. Many people complain visiting the towns right now or villages is pointless or boring. They state the settlements do not have flavor.

We should look at reality to see what sorts of decorations religions have and for what seasons.
For the Empire
During the spring time,
You can see easter eggs, Bunny decorations, wreaths with flowers on it, people during this time could be wearing more jewelry (another item that could be added to be equiped. People always like to be bedazzled) You may even see some idols layed about with hay.

During Summer,
You may see in the city center some clowns, a fire breather, and a juggler. As well as increased amount of people gathering in the town center. One midnight time period each game year, you may find a large hay totem of an enemy burning just outside of the city walls with people gathered and dancing around it.

During Fall,
You may see halloween-like or day of the dead-like decorations with some town people may wear a mask, or there can be cob webs and ghosts in town.

During the Winter,
You may see people infected with mardi gras-like madness. Town folk may be wearing little clothes, and you may see one person dressed up like a goat. You may see wax models of fruit in the town center, and candles lit throughout town. You may even sell small figurines throughout town. slaves throughout town as mentioned below would dress in attire like that of the influential town members. you may even see one slave with a crown on their head and they may ask you to kiss their feet. The people will also give you a seasonal greeting for the time period. You may even receive a random gift of either food or good or even a small amount of denar from some of the influential town members.

For Aseri,
You may find some villagers traveling long distances to the capital of the realm, they may even have a quest for you to protect them on their pilgrimage like that of the escort caravan-mission.

Khuzait,
When there is a famine or low prosperity in a village
You may find some of shamans doing a dance or chant around a fire to pray for better times. Such as praying for rain. They can even have a drum they beat.

They may be afraid of the lightning and thunder and discuss the spirits must be angry.

You may find skull cups in the villages or towns. As well as they may wear bone jewelry. Some of the influential members may wear human bones of the people they defeated and killed.

Battanians
You may find human organs and blood on their religious sites. You may even see them feasting on a person with cups filled with blood. During battle, they would seek to capture as many people as possible to bring back to their towns. The ransom brokers here may even pay a small bit more than other towns, but you know what will happen to these prisoners!

You may find statues of animals in their towns and villages.

Vlandians:
They will be the most intolerant of other religions. They will see their solar deity as the one and true deity of the world. They will have one person as the religious head who may give quests or crusades to capture neighboring towns or castles. You may have a relation boost with members of the faction for such religious zeal for the success of your campaign. You may even find more mercenaries who would want to join you on your quest to attack the settlement target.

You may find these people to wear religious symbols more often than the other factions.

You may find people gather to venerate the Solar diety in the winter.

You may find some villagers men or women, take oaths of purity and try to interact with you to discuss their religion and why your original faction religion is misguided.

Other:
The empire would have co-opted the most from all the religions it would have come in contact with through its conquests of people and attempting to make these peoples believe everyone is the same. Like the pantheon religions that worship the cosmos of reality. You will find some of the gods of the minorities as either demigods or as more important minor gods. The religious community of the empire will be the most inquisitive. They may even have some simple "steam powered" like palor tricks to try to show the magic their religion posseses. (like how some of the Roman temples used mechanisms or steam power).

The empire's religion will be the most peaceful in itself; however, the empire will seek to "civilize" the barbarians of the other cultures. They will discuss how they find the other peoples to be uncultured. A general sense of superiority.

We may also want to slave labors doing manual labor in the villages or some times see gladiator-like combatants fighting animals in the arenas. Or even some of the more important figures in each settlement have a group of slaves with them.

Last edited:
It would be a fine addition... to a Real World Medieval Game.

Your ideas are great, but as stated Calradia has no lore or if TW has them it was never explained or placed on the game.. Except now, it recount the history of the Empire and how once Vlandia (maybe depending the player) becomed the succesor of the Empire.

But, religion as we know on the continet has no place, and it's a very delicate matter to put on a game even a fantasy one. PPl maybe become offended, without meant too you can insult a whole nation and culture if not worked properly, there are so many issues is so hard to put them all here.

But, if a Mod based on Real World comes up (Ancient times or Medieval Age), I think It would be a very nice addition. Brytenwalda had religion system if I'm not mistaken, worked fine.

Yup, that thing...

P.S. Somewhere on this forum i saw the list of topics published by person from Dev't team. It reflects features they really want to work on (apart from pending performance and quality issues) in future game development.. it won't be a revolution, no mention about any sort of religious stuff potentially considered whatsoever..

Alright party pooper. I have read through that thread and they were receptive of ideas that were not originally mentioned.

how about you add something to try to add some spice. I just vomit out ideas as i sleep on it.

Alright party pooper. I have read through that thread and they were receptive of ideas that were not originally mentioned.

Sorry not to be your sidekick - didn't mean to discourage you though. I think there is space for everybody's opinion and you may find more constructive criticism in a process. Stay open minded.

I just vomit out ideas as i sleep on it.

Don't get me wrong. One way or another - I can't wait to see some of those (especially spicy) ideas implemented.

And to what you stated above - i like your ideas, but not all of them ... some i do. Like Aserai religion centered on the founder or inquisitive Vlandia. This fits. I do not consider Battania that blood thirsty of a nation as you do. They resemble celtic people more IMHO - generally peaceful but when it comes to war - brave and willing to fight. Also a little bit of Gaull element in them .... ande some Germanic roots but this still wouldn't make them that war mongering, "drinking blood from the skull" of a nation. Those sacrifices,..... it is a very huge misconception about so called barbarians (all groups mentioned).

Bannerlord is based on (at least to some extent) people reactions and this feature would be non-realistic because sooner or later everyone would be beheaded or would like to raze Battania to the ground.

Sturgians are another topic i see that requires some more polishing. They are mixed slavic - norse faction, something like Principality of Novgorod, generally slavic but highly viking'ish influenced. Politheistic panteon fits to them, with strong man on the top... Some kind of Odin...e.g. "Skodin" :wink:

We all have ideas, we all think those are the best ideas... From my experience we need criticism and we need to talk about things and prepare good arguments to defend them. Less doesn't mean worse...

Last edited:
Sorry not to be your sidekick - didn't mean to discourage you though. I think there is space for everybody's opinion and you may find more constructive criticism in a process. Stay open minded.

Don't get me wrong. One way or another - I can't wait to see some of those (especially spicy) ideas implemented.

And to what you stated above - i like your ideas, but not all of them ... some i do. Like Aserai religion centered on the founder or inquisitive Vlandia. This fits. I do not consider Battania that blood thirsty of a nation as you do. They resemble celtic people more IMHO - generally peaceful but when it comes to war - brave and willing to fight. Also a little bit of Gaull element in them .... ande some Germanic roots but this still wouldn't make them that war mongering, "drinking blood from the skull" of a nation. Those sacrifices,..... it is a very huge misconception about so called barbarians (all groups mentioned).

Bannerlord is based on (at least to some extent) people reactions and this feature would be non-realistic because sooner or later everyone would be beheaded or would like to raze Battania to the ground.

Sturgians are another topic i see that requires some more polishing. They are mixed slavic - norse faction, something like Principality of Novgorod, generally slavic but highly viking'ish influenced. Politheistic panteon fits to them, with strong man on the top... Some kind of Odin...e.g. "Skodin" :wink:

We all have ideas, we all think those are the best ideas... From my experience we need criticism and we need to talk about things and prepare good arguments to defend them. Less doesn't mean worse...
Thank you! I just couldnt think of a unique system for the battanians. I mean we could focus on the animal worship with none of the human sacrifices. I just know what some human sacrifice may have been done by the original celts. And there are many religions throughout the world that had practiced human sacrifice from the most horrific ways to less wicked. Just was going to dump it on them. Probably would scare people away especially with some aztez or worse sacrifices thrown in there.

how about the wearing bear skins and worshippingbears as gods. During ceremonies they will create a totem to other animals like deer or cows they can thank for the substinence they obtain from these animals. Or an idol to dogs and cats, to thank them for protecting their farms or ranches from wild animals or pests respectively?

I hope others can also add some ideas. I just thought of the religion and rituals and places of worship, as I couldn't find a culture that didn't have some sort of belief system. And I couldn't imagine these peoples of Calradia not having one too. How could they make it through rough times without these villagers or town people feeling hopeless and their general productivity just crashing from believing the end times are here and all is lost. This time period represents the empire's citizens world being thrown upside down. Like the crisis of the third century just prior to the period of Aurelian or maybe the period just before odovacer if you want to see the empire die.

For the khuzaits too:
Maybe can add the breaking and reading oracle or "dragon" bones to see what sorts of omens they can interpret.

Instead of wearing human bones, you could find these ancient animals bones as jewelry on them, or even some various "dragon" or dinosaur bones hung up or decorated in their villages. You maybe could even maybe see a triceratops skull or maybe various dinosaur teeth. They could even grind up some of these bones, as maybe a drink they could offer injured soldiers to maybe heal them faster.

Mongolia is the home or gold mine for archaeology of Dinosaur and ancient animal bones.

Add some more for sturgia based on what I've read about the slavic religion
Some more dieties for them : Fire, Lightning, and Trees and Their creator ( which had something to do with reproduction)

The would venerate fire and you could find them always gathered around fire places, especially during the winter. You could see various offering them would throw into the fire and to thank the fire for providing them warmth to survive the winter. You should be able to interact with the villagers, and they will speak about the fire.

They would venerate lightning and the power of nature. You would find trees splintered as places they would venerate, for that is the power of lightning. You could also find lightning rods for which they hope to capture the power of this diety.

They would venerate the trees that dot their landscape. The trees which allow them to build their homes and towns. They would give thanks for what the forests provide for them. You could find offerings left by them on the outskirts of their villages. And the tree of life will stand above all other trees. For which the great warriors will ascend for valiant deeds or dying in war. Demigods riding on horses, that appear as human women, will swoop down to bring these warriors to the hall of honor.The gods will live in the highest branches of this tree.

They would venerate their creator and the reproduction they can perform. They would have a totem with rope which they would dance around in the spring for which would grant those young women and men who dance around it, extra fertility. They would also carve the symbol of wheels on their roofes of their homes, which you could see as you travel throughout a village. If you were to marry a sturgian, she would be more likely to become pregnant during the spring and would want you to return to her homeland during this time period.

Last edited:
Consider yourself warned this will be long ! Very long.

I hope others can also add some ideas. I just thought of the religion and rituals and places of worship, as I couldn't find a culture that didn't have some sort of belief system. And I couldn't imagine these peoples of Calradia not having one too. How could they make it through rough times without these villagers or town people feeling hopeless and their general productivity just crashing from believing the end times are here and all is lost. This time period represents the empire's citizens world being thrown upside down. Like the crisis of the third century just prior to the period of Aurelian or maybe the period just before odovacer if you want to see the empire die.

As i wrote before this is why i think it is completely unrealistic setup.

Thank you! I just couldnt think of a unique system for the battanians. I mean we could focus on the animal worship with none of the human sacrifices. I just know what some human sacrifice may have been done by the original celts. And there are many religions throughout the world that had practiced human sacrifice from the most horrific ways to less wicked. Just was going to dump it on them. Probably would scare people away especially with some aztez or worse sacrifices thrown in there.

Your enthusiasm eventually provoked me :wink:

As modus operandi for those less controversial religions (i mean those not definded by any Holy Book) i'd stick to their real world interpretations and as a general remark i want to lay down a foundation (in points). Rules are important, style will come in time... :wink:

I am not that familiar with celtic, gaulls and germanic tribes' beliefs but i would concentrate on those less wicked forms of religious practices (as you pointed out). If this is about to inspire anybody from Devt team to even touch such a sensitive topic as religion and its implementation - it just has to be "soft" or at least "mild" to be even considered. You are very good in pointing out details but i need to see it as a whole first.. to jump into those time little shananigans later :wink:

So all in all... let me present you the religion structure i came up with:

Celts, Gaulls and Germanic Tribes cross-over in Calradia better known as Battanians

1. Religion doctrine: Politheism, set on man/woman equality and their affilation to the land, ancestral ghosts and nature
2. Pantheon main dieties: Strong Man Character prefereably a Warrior or Hunter and his Female companion full of pity and mercy but fully capable for revange. Lesser gods - their children and siblings depicted as half human half animal
3. Soul's final destinatiosn: Not really defined pleace in terms of afterlife :smile: Return to mother earth's (mother Calradia's) true womb. Let us technically call it: Mother's Womb :smile:, everything goes in circles, no hell but spirits can be damned and find themselves lost / tied to their previous life.
4. Source of gods: Nature (trees - Battania = trees, this is were i would emphasise the trees, not in Sturgian believes), elements (sun & fire), dark and light (life and dead)..
5. Holy places: Forest shrines, Open air sites, Stonehenge like monolithic circles
8. In game presence: For me it can be a town background (@Sparticulous nice job defining festivals and seasons colors etc.) without controversial interactions so: Shrines (that can provide certain bonuses for cities and castles so you can feel it lives), Random priests wondering on the streets.
9: Quests: Fetch me a 10 sacrificial lambs, and so on..., Wood needed charcoal for ceremonial / burial stake...

1. Religion doctrine: Politheism, set on man/woman equality and their affilation to the land and sea (possibly in the future), ancestral ghosts and nature. (@Sparticulous i'd rather choose Norse mythology rather than slavic as the latter is heavilly influenced by the vikings conquests.)
2. Pantheon main dieties: Strong Main Man's Characters capable of wielding the powers of the elements (e.g. Thunder :wink:), Female Main God(s) are as blunt and strong as man, not really merciful but always happy to avenge. More family/saga centered, pragmatic as the living condition on the north are hard = protectors of the household. Lesser gods - their children and siblings depicted as fauns, fearies, elves, valkyires...
3. Soul's final destinations: Haeven Like: Hall of the Warriors :smile: Neverending feast for man and woman, all people will have their place by the table.. or by the fire. Hell: White Abyss where souls wonder aroung in constant blizzard.
4. Source of gods: Nature, especially Sea (Sturgians = Sea) and snow mountains, elements (water & earth), dark and light (life and dead)..
5. Holy places: Forest shrines with skulls of animals, Wooden triangle shaped churches, Huge carved rocks with runes
9: Quests: Fetch me a 10 sacrificial lambs, cows and so on..., Wood or charcoal needed for ceremonial / burial stake...

Magyars, Huns, Tartars, Mongols, Turks of Rum, Dothraki :wink: in different words Steppe Horse lords mix in Calradia better known as Khuzaits

1. Religion doctrine: Politheism, Animism, Totemism and Shamanism favoring man or at least manly activities as great life purpose. Affilating nature attributes: vast plains, steppes and sky, ancestral ghosts are very important
2. Pantheon main dieties: The Great God Spirit of Sky, The Pure Horse and Mother Plain (giving the life to horses which are in the center of all Khuzaits activities). Lesser deities: Spirits (ancestral, animal, having different characters and traits both good and darkness involved).
3. Soul's final destinations: Eternal horse pursuit on the "heavenly" plains, Hell: Wandering around without horse in Oblivion
4. Source of gods: Nature, Especially Air (sky) and earth (land), Horses !! (Khuzait = Horses), other animals with their typical traits...
5. Holy places: Totems, Open air structures with plenty of colorful banners, kites and small flags, yurta shaped churches...
7. Symbol: Geometrical Tengri-like shape sign... already used in some Khuzaits CoA
9: Quests: Fetch me a 10 steppe warhorses for the ceremonial blessing (they would not sacrifice horses as they feel their souls are equal to human's..., Wood needed for ceremonial / burial stake...

Small Digression: And here we are ...monotheistic religions with holy books. Potentially very hard but i would like to point out that some game developers did that right, completely avoiding sensitive content. A prophet (Andraste chosen by the Maker) centered storyline in Dragon Age Origins is IMHO perfect example. So in real life we have Christianity, Orthodox or East Christianity and Islam. One may say perfect fit for Vlandia, Empire and Aserai... How to build equlibrium between those three, in many ways heavilly connected religions (One God, Book, etc) and at the same time in so many ways different (examples, really ?), from a scratch, without looking into so sensitive narrations. I think the key is to create artificial "Maker = Andraste" relation and present what each nation could digest from "the Story" to serve their purpose. So without further ado...

-- This is the first religion i created so if anybody has already some experience in that.,..please be nice. --

So, we need a starting point ... let say: There was a Man (hold your horses there is also Woman part in that :smile: ) who heard a voice (lol i laugh to myself writing this) saying that he was chosen (as explained later: to write the wisdom which the voice was going to tell him).

The voice introduced itself as the Voice of Thruth (a Word of Life, a Creator of the Worlds, as an Infinite Engineer, name it :smile:) and told the Man he has to travel to find the wisdom which will be later explained by the voice so he can write it down. The man who was a scholar listened to the Voice, packed up anything he could carry and hit the road looking for some unknown encounters. And so he traveled, writing truth about nature of life (generally universal ethics, source of common sayings, and stuff). When there was the last chapter left to write (as the voice forspoken), man felt tired and lied down to rest on the desert. When he was looking at the stars, laying next to the fireplace he made, a miracle happened... "Here comes the miracle we need to create" (Example: A wild animal speaking with the Voice approaching from the dark dessert not afraid of fire). Voice explained that somewhere in the Desert Village lives a Woman that has to be found as she is purest thing on earth (Calradia), she is also good, merciful, beautiful, never was angry, never had a headake and she is of pure hearth as no other person in the world. The Voice explained to the Man that she (The Woman) will write the last chapter. This temporarily angered and upset the Man but eventually agreed that he will again listen to the Voice. So he traveled some more, asking around and looking for the most generous, merciful, honest and good looking person Calradia has ever whitnessed. With no luck, eventually he found trouble instead. And so after typical religious coincidence, he will find her in time of need, after being robbed almost killed and so on.. She will heal his wounds, he will eventually fall in love with her. The Voice will explain him that she knows the Voice (as "the V" explained - they met in her head similarily as they met with the Man ;p). TV (The Voice) will tell him to take care about her and that they should hit the road together. So they will travel together helping people, spreading the wisdom of the Voice, and this is when she will write the last chapter about, self-sacrifice to others, piety, love, forgiveness, and so on. Things nobody else could write (not him for sure). Long story short...During one of their travels through wild regions of Calradia they will be kidnapped by some "pre-empire calradian barbarians not associated with no known faction" and brought in front of their lord (king). He will ask for their teachings but those advices will not please him, not to mention the promise of the soul salvation after following the voice teachings. After some more disapointing talks he will decide to behead (we can find some other fancy ways to depict here) both of them. Listening to all that and whitnessing the execution there will a person (man or woman) who will belive all this stuff and protect the holy book (first acolyte). Book will be later copied, some parts of the book will be lost, some will be edited, some will be changed :smile: All in all some of the Book's chapters will survive and become the guidline for next generations of Calradians including Aserai, Vlandians and Empire folks.

End of the main plot here. Didn't mean to offend anybody in the process... :smile:

1. Religion doctrine: Monotheism, Praise to the only God (whose name isn't known, sometimes described in the Book, as the Voice), prophets known: Man and Woman. Equally worshipped
3. Soul's final destinations: Heaven - what else, peaceful and quiet,... and Hell as the place of worst nightmares.
5. Holy places: Churches, Shrines, Monastics and Temples late roman empire / byzantine style
7. Symbol: V like the Voice :wink:, any other letter, Man and Woman holding hands (@Sparticulous: Any ideas ?)
9: Quests: Fetch me a bread and/or fish 10 each, for the ceremonial blessing, Donation needed. What if not the pure gold will pay for the new temples ? huh ?

Early Middle Ages feudal French, English and Holy Roman Empire / German Kingdoms better known as the Vlandia

1. Religion doctrine: Monotheism, Praise to the only God (whose name isn't known, sometimes described in the Book, as the Voice), prophets: known: the Woman (lady of the lake of some sort, some Vlandians knigth's patron, paragon of Virtues, Many Vladians knights would die and kill with her name on their lips), the Man is not considered to have TV's spark he was rather a tool in TV's hands, a lesser character. This is what they read in their version of the book. They are very inquisitive about their faith (@Sparticulous). Those people would are first to start crusades
2. Pantheon main dieties: God, She (Holy lady), and some man that was told to find her...
3. Soul's final destinations: Heaven - what else, peaceful and quiet, better haeven for those who fought for the God... and Hell as the place of worst nightmares and total dispair.
5. Holy places: Churches, Shrines, Monastic Orders (Warrior Monks) and Temples early latin style
7. Symbol: V like the Voice :wink:, any other letter, the Woman's depiction (@Sparticulous: Any ideas ?)
9: Quests: Fetch me a bread and/or fish 10 each, for the ceremonial blessing, Donation needed. What if not the pure gold will pay for the new temples ? huh ? Defend from the raiders - Kill the filthy pagans ,etc.

Various Sultanates, Khaliphates, Emirates, Egyptian / Mameluke, Arabic culture inspired Tribes better known as the Aserai

1. Religion doctrine: Monotheism, Source of wisdom coming from the only God (whose name isn't known, sometimes described in the Book, as the Voice of Wisdom), prophets: known: the Man (Great Man who was Chosen by the Voice to fulfil its destiny, Aserai are fond of his wisdom and the fact he came from the dessert land close to where their realm is placed), the Man is considered main character but the Woman is tolerated as his companion but nonetheless she isn't that important in the eyes of Aserai. At least this is what they read in their version of the book. They are very tolerant for other faiths and beliefs. They value wisdom, science and logical thinking spread through the Voice's teachings.
2. Pantheon main dieties: The only God (Voice), Prophet (Holy Scholar), the Woman. Period.
3. Soul's final destinations: Heaven - what else, peaceful and quiet, in the shine of God's wisdom... and Hell as the place of worst nightmares and total dispair.
5. Holy places: Churches (Mosq style), Shrines, Monastic Orders (Assassins) and Temples (Arabic)
6. Priests: Priests of the Voice, help me out people, what can be said here ... ???
7. Symbol:
V like the Voice :wink:, any other letter, the Book depiction as the source of Wisdom
9: Quests: Fetch me a dates and grapes 10 each, for the ceremonial blessing, Donation needed. What if not the pure gold will pay for the new temples ? huh ? Spread the word. Visit 3 settlements and invite their leaders for the festival.

Thank you for bearing with me. I hope you are still the same person as before. I hope nobody was offended in the process - that was not my intention.

Last edited:
Consider yourself warned this will be long ! Very long.

As i wrote before this is why i think it is completely unrealistic setup.

Your enthusiasm eventually provoked me :wink:

As modus operandi for those less controversial religions (i mean those not definded by any Holy Book) i'd stick to their real world interpretations and as a general remark i want to lay down a foundation (in points). Rules are important, style will come in time... :wink:

I am not that familiar with celtic, gaulls and germanic tribes' beliefs but i would concentrate on those less wicked forms of religious practices (as you pointed out). If this is about to inspire anybody from Devt team to even touch such a sensitive topic as religion and its implementation - it just has to be "soft" or at least "mild" to be even considered. You are very good in pointing out details but i need to see it as a whole first.. to jump into those time little shananigans later :wink:

So all in all... let me present you the religion structure i came up with:

1. Religion doctrine: Politheism, set on man/woman equality and their affilation to the land, ancestral ghosts and nature

1. Religion doctrine: Politheism, set on man/woman equality and their affilation to the land and sea (possibly in the future), ancestral ghosts and nature. (@Sparticulous i'd rather choose Norse mythology rather than slavic as the latter is heavilly influenced by the vikings conquests.)

1. Religion doctrine: Politheism, Animism, Totemism and Shamanism favoring man or at least manly activities as great life purpose. Affilating nature attributes: vast plains, steppes and sky, ancestral ghosts are very important

7. Symbol:

This is really freaking amazing. This is one of the most put together subjects I have seen in a long time! Thank you for contributing so much. I really hope the mods read our thread. I added yours in quotes to the first post to try to make it easier for mods to find it. I am sure they are reading too.

Thank you for putting so much time and effort into your post!!!

Okay and to reply to your questions now.

For the Vlandias women's depiction. She would be the image of conservative purity. So I would imagine her in a well covered garment of pure white coloration and a veil over her head with only her face visible.Her feet would need to be covered and not seen. Behind her would be a bright light radiating from her. She should probably hold some sort of holy item in her hand or with her hands together.

For the aseri, maybe we can use the terms sheikhs, Imam, Grand Imam, and Grand Mufti?

Back
Top Bottom