Want instant load times for your mods? I have a suggestion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes its possible. Go from "Start Game" to "Character Creation" Instantly, but it will take a good external program writer.

A program could in theory be written that would be placed in the SceneObj folder, and rather than scripting ask for one of the many scenes that have to be preloaded, the scenes could be kept in a separate folder inside the SceneObj folder, at which time the written program could pull from them one at a time as per requested when loading the scene. Upon exiting the scene, the program would put the scene back into "storage"

I was playing with this kind of idea earlier, and what I did was create an extra folder in my scene obj folder, and placed all the scenes in there. The launch of a new game was instant prompt to char creation.
And when I wanted to visit a scene, I would alt tab to module_parties and see which one is reference, alt tab to the folders file, and insert that scene or scenes into the Scene Obj folder. I then save/exit, and since only just one scene (or a few more for towns/castles) is in the Scene Obj folder, its still near instant upon reload. The NPCs are still in place without the scenes, so all the scripts and triggers are still valid.

Basically what would be needed is a script or trigger of sorts to refer to that written program when script is asking for scenes to be loaded upon entering centers or other scenes. directly after that, the program would have to prompt a quick save/exit and reload. The reload time would be short seeing as It would only be calling for one scene. Now at the point of exiting, the scene would be put back into "storage", or alternatively all the scenes could be left in SceneObj folder and put back up when exiting a game.

I just suggested this to A, and hopefully he or his team could write something like this, or even possibly someone in the community has the know how to do this.

Food for thought.

E.

Good suggestion for the devs.

I didn't know the .sco files made the load times so pathetic. If that is true then the developers really need to optimize that before v1.0.

fisheye said:
Good suggestion for the devs.

I didn't know the .sco files made the load times so pathetic. If that is true then the developers really need to optimize that before v1.0.

Well i got back word from A, and apparently he took to my suggestion, so nevermind the need to write an external program :smile:

Dear ealabor,

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I was remembering this such that we had implemented scene loading smartly, but in the thick of things I must have somehow forgotten to do that. I now changed the code so that scenes are loaded only when accessed, and the game does start up mush faster now. Thank you so much.
Again, thank you very much,
Cheers,
-Armagan

SO,

Now that I am responsible for making every single mod have an instant load time come version 1.0, Legions Extended will be taking your model and script donations and contributions  :mrgreen:

E.

Really brilliant indeed. Can u tell what we must do to realize it? I'm not a modder, I want the single step to realize it. Thanks in advance.

I've been curious whether they would eventually implement this. I'm glad you gave Armagan the final kick in the butt to get it in-game. Load times have become ridiculous.

Septa Scarabae said:
I've been curious whether they would eventually implement this. I'm glad you gave Armagan the final kick in the butt to get it in-game. Load times have become ridiculous.

Well I wouldnt necessarily say its a kick in the butt, but more of a reminder. As he stated it was forgotten, and I can relate to forgetting things as i've done no less than 5 uploads in the first 24 hours of the latest release of LME.

ealabor said:
Septa Scarabae said:

Well I wouldnt necessarily say its a kick in the butt, but more of a reminder. As he stated it was forgotten, and I can relate to forgetting things as i've done no less than 5 uploads in the first 24 hours of the latest release of LME.

I can also relate.  Ive probably had hundreds of ideas for my mod but if I dont write them down a few hours later and most are gone.  Im glad they will be doing it cause I would rather have it be a default action taken by the game instead of having to rely on another program.

You just won yourself an internets.

EDIT: I might as well ask if anything similar can be done with the loading of other files, such as textures or meshes.
Because if you think about it, M&B's load times are really quite poor for a game that only breaks 100 meg. Compared to the load times of games such as half-life 2 or unreal tournament, which both clock in at several gig, there's not much difference.

Back
Top Bottom