TDM: Playing VS Vlandia sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Feewix

Recruit
Remove xbows.
If not,
- Reduce their accuracy.
- Increase the cost of basic arbelist xbow unit and sharpshooter units by 20 at least
- Reduce their kill/assist gold
- Decrease the speed of weapon switching from xbow to any other weapon.
- **** them

This is boring insane how long this goes on in development. So easy and quick in a match they form an xbow nest of 3,4,5 units anywhere. That's 90-150 bolts, sniper shots at that too. Supported by a pair of knights, it's like attempting a siege at them. And you can't just wait it out.

(y) ENFORCE AUTOBALANCE AND RANDOM FACTIONS 2022 (y)
(map vote is fine)
((and also friendly fire.. we like friendly fire, friendly fire is good))

For A Better Game

I still think that the best course of action would be to give the Sharpshooter a generic longbow as his default weapon, with the Arbalest being replaced with the light archer's Hickory Crossbow.

Dunno what would be a good replacement for the Heavy Crossbow hence why I've suggested "Random Bow (All heavy archer bows + Sturgian Longbows)" in other threads. At least with a randomized bow, there'd be a small chance that the Sharpshooter can gain a weapon that can be used on horseback, though successfully rolling for such an option will leave him with a lower damage weapon than if he picked "Improved Armor", and horse stealing can be pretty difficult if you're not a heavy infantry or an Aserai Tribal with the Spearman perk.

Last edited:
"Remove the AWP and replace it with Scout"

I respectfully disagree :smile:

I DO feel, however, that (cross)bows in general are too accurate, especially on long ranges (and I mean actual long range)

I really like that we deal less damage the further away we hit the target. Its just too easy to hit the long range headshots.

If you look at how inaccurate the throwing is, the thrower ought to be as proficient at throwing as an archer/crossbower is at archery/crossbowing.

Edit: Sry for all the editing, bloody ADHD lol

Also, the fact that any other unit can effectively use a crossbow seems a little imba, realistic sure, but imbalanced in the game.

Last edited:
"Remove the AWP and replace it with Scout"

I respectfully disagree :smile:

I DO feel, however, that (cross)bows in general are too accurate, especially on long ranges (and I mean actual long range)
I mean, the default Crossbow with Strong Bolts already does 80 damage. Meanwhile, the Arbalest with default bolts deals 84 damage and with strong bolts, 89. I think the best course of action would be to have a new ammo type exclusive to the Sharpshooter that could allow the Hickory crossbow to deal as much damage as the Arbalest's base damage, but at the expense of having a smaller quiver than both the default and strong crossbow bolts.

I dunno, I can't say i'm very comfortable with a 24 armor unit being able to bodyshot infantry to death while also being able to delete cavalry thanks to the hunter perk, and I guess the most that can be done to balance around the Arbalest's damage output would be to limit the amount of shots available to an 84 damage crossbow

Last edited:
I mean, the Hickory Crossbow with Strong Bolts already does 80 damage. Meanwhile, the Arbalest with default bolts deals 84 damage and with strong bolts, 89. I think the best course of action would be to have a new ammo type exclusive to the Sharpshooter that could allow the Hickory crossbow to deal as much damage as the Arbalest's base damage, but at the expense of having a smaller quiver than both the default and strong crossbow bolts.

I dunno, I can't say i'm very comfortable with a 24 armor unit being able to bodyshot infantry to death while also being able to delete cavalry thanks to the hunter perk, and I guess the most that can be done to balance around the Arbalest's damage output would be to limit the amount of shots available to an 84 damage crossbow

FYI, in case you missed it, picking the range bow with marksman perk will give you aprox the same damage output - maybe slightly lower than that of xbow. The advantage of the xbow is not the damage but the fact the she can keep aim up forever, contrary to archers. Try play a range marksman fian :smile:

FYI, in case you missed it, picking the range bow with marksman perk will give you aprox the same damage output - maybe slightly lower than that of xbow. The advantage of the xbow is not the damage but the fact the she can keep aim up forever, contrary to archers. Try play a range marksman fian :smile:
Then it's probably a good thing that i'm suggesting that the Vlandian Heavy Archer's default weapon should be a longbow, with the perks being extra armor vs random bow vs crossbow. In most situations, he'd have the same caveat that regular hand-drawn bows would have

SPEEDBONUS also apply on arrows... words like "range" is good because this means that SPEEDBONUS is involved :wink:
(not to be mixed with the speed perk that gives faster draw)

SPEEDBONUS is joy. SPEEDBONUS is sadness. SPEEDBONUS is life.
7dNfORd.png

Last edited:
I still think that the best course of action would be to give the Sharpshooter a generic longbow as his default weapon, with the Arbalest being replaced with the light archer's Hickory Crossbow.
Sharpshooter's identity is intrinsically tied to the crossbow, and removing it would reduce variety in gameplay. There are many, many better potential ways of solving the problem (some of them listed by op) than that.

I think the best course of action would be to have a new ammo type exclusive to the Sharpshooter that could allow the Hickory crossbow to deal as much damage as the Arbalest's base damage, but at the expense of having a smaller quiver than both the default and strong crossbow bolts.
It would be a huge improvement if they just replaced their crappy class and perk system with Warband's arsenal. Tier 1-7 weapons/ammunition and proper gear that requires some grind and skill. I can't believe they're still sticking with this system and ruining all the game modes with it every quarter. That's like keeping a turd for years and being proud of it.

You don't balance the class system around TDM. You just don't. Doesn't it share the same perks with siege?
Maybe not, though it's apparent to me that the Sharpshooter's only weakness is Captain mode. See my previous point about a 24 armor unit that can bodyshot most infantry to death from long range, and I can't imagine that being all that fun to fight in skirmish.

Maybe not, though it's apparent to me that the Sharpshooter's only weakness is Captain mode. See my previous point about a 24 armor unit that can bodyshot most infantry to death from long range, and I can't imagine that being all that fun to fight in skirmish.
First the sharpshooter hast to hit. Then he has to reload, making him vulnerable to cav or inf pushing. If the other team plays well the sharpshooter might only shoot a couple times.

I don't feel like playing against Vlandia in tdm sucks because of crossbows but rather because of the looter perk on the peasant.
It makes Vlandia earn so much income that in the later stages of the game the can easily spam sergeants and other high cost units while their opponents usually have a lot more low cost units to fight them which turns into a snowball effect

All they need to do is remove the looter perk on the peasant. Or maybe make it so you can’t play with the same faction twice in a row for tdm or siege.

Balance game around competitive skirmish mode. Move Captain's Mode to be launched from the singleplayer menu. Balancing classes according to TDM and Siege is like changing the rules of Chess because kids use the pieces like action figurines, and they think the bigger ones are too OP.

Balance game around competitive skirmish mode. Move Captain's Mode to be launched from the singleplayer menu. Balancing classes according to TDM and Siege is like changing the rules of Chess because kids use the pieces like action figurines, and they think the bigger ones are too OP.
Skirmish is terrible gamemode, come at me comp noobs

All they need to do is remove the looter perk on the peasant. Or maybe make it so you can’t play with the same faction twice in a row for tdm or siege.
Looter perk is still a valid tactic in Skirmish, I think. If we absolutely need to remove it in siege/TDM though, i think like the Sling's return would be the best alternative.

Back
Top Bottom