TCG Games

Users who are viewing this thread

So I did a quick search and the only really relevant topic I could find was this:
I've just recently actually started playing Yu Gi Oh about a year and a half ago... flatmate introduced me while he was playing versus my other flatmate and I just kind of got a little hooked on it since then.

Just seeing if anyone else here plays  :lol:

Hmm, well it's probably changed a hellova alot more than when you last seen Yu Gi Oh cards  :ohdear:

Soon there will be a new type of card/mechanic coming out called Link Summoning which will hopefully slow the game right down so that people aren't going through the entire main and extra deck on the first turn  :meh:

The Doge of Benis said:
Back in 2001 or so. The hunt for Blue-Eyed White Dragon, or whatever it was called, was real.

Blue-Eyes White Dragon has had a little resurgence actually, they have a lot of nice cards you can use and relatively inexpensive as opposed to:

null said:
The Dark Mingeician.

...decks. Apparently buying a DM deck is ridiculously expensive. Not had a look myself actually..

Yu-Gi-Oh cards were a cheap ripoff of Magic: The Gathering, like Pokemon and Digimon cards before it. Honestly, MTG is so much better than Yu-Gi-Oh in almost every way. Yu-Gi-Oh was always just for kids, it lacks so much depth and the balancing is terrible. While I do have a lot of nostalgia for all my Yu-Gi-Oh cards, it's difficult to go back to once you've played MTG.

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu ? said:
Yu-Gi-Oh cards were a cheap ripoff of Magic: The Gathering, like Pokemon and Digimon cards before it. Honestly, MTG is so much better than Yu-Gi-Oh in almost every way. Yu-Gi-Oh was always just for kids, it lacks so much depth and the balancing is terrible. While I do have a lot of nostalgia for all my Yu-Gi-Oh cards, it's difficult to go back to once you've played MTG.

I'm wondering if you've actually played/watched a recent game of Yu Gi Oh... it's not as simple as it used to be at all anymore...

I think the way I would describe Yu Gi Oh is "easy to learn, hard to master".

QuailLover said:
My TCG game of choice is Netrunner.

I've actually decided to change the thread name, it's probably better if people can talk about the different TCGs they play, rather than making seperate threads for each.

Mabons said:
I'm wondering if you've actually played/watched a recent game of Yu Gi Oh... it's not as simple as it used to be at all anymore...

Yes, I've also played it recently. MTG is superior and much deeper. The amount of variety in play is just so much greater and drafting is much more rewarding.

Don't get me wrong, I do like playing new Yu-Gi-Oh! It's better than it used to be, but it's still not balanced enough. Balance in Yugi is quite bad. Also, turn one kills.

Age of Empires II: The Densetsu ? said:
Mabons said:

Yes, I've also played it recently. MTG is superior and much deeper. The amount of variety in play is just so much greater and drafting is much more rewarding.

Don't get me wrong, I do like playing new Yu-Gi-Oh! It's better than it used to be, but it's still not balanced enough. Balance in Yugi is quite bad. Also, turn one kills.

Can you actually give me a brief idea of how MTG actually plays? Just curious.

The balance right now is as you say... ridiculous. Anything not using the new "Zoodiac" cards is basically trash. And while Konami balances the game with the banlists everyone was hoping that the new banlist(effective today actually) would address the ridiculous combos... but nope. It was quite frankly one of the most pathetic balance attempts I've seen.

And the turn one kills are actually one of the things that are frequently banned out. Unless you are talking about one turn kills which I'm sure isn't unique to Yu Gi Oh and is frankly a silly thing to complain about because most one turn kills combos have plenty of ways to stop them. For example, I use Cyber Dragons which are probably the most extreme example of a one turn kill deck, but all the opponent needs is one spell or trap to completely ruin my plays.

You could give Magic Duels on Steam a shot to get a feel for MtG. It's not the most faithful recreation of how the rules go but the overall flow is still the same.

Mabons said:
Unless you are talking about one turn kills which I'm sure isn't unique to Yu Gi Oh and is frankly a silly thing to complain about because most one turn kills combos have plenty of ways to stop them. For example, I use Cyber Dragons which are probably the most extreme example of a one turn kill deck, but all the opponent needs is one spell or trap to completely ruin my plays.

One turn kills shouldn't even be possible, let alone counterable. Most games that allow you to win without doing anything are bad games.

I know, let's play a fun version of snap! Out of the 52 card deck, if you happen to put down an ace on the first turn, you win! Isn't that a fun game? The only way for the other player to not lose is by ALSO putting down an ace at random immediately afterwards. Wow ! !

Eh, more like, if I draw all 4 aces in a 5 card opening hand, I win, unless you drew 1 of the face cards that counter it  :wink:

Yu Gi Oh has a ridiculous amount of overpowered trap cards left unbanned, and you can't attack on your first turn so you've always got a chance of your combo being interrupted if you even draw the pieces for the combo anyways. 90% of my Cyber Dragon deck games are me trying to do anything and having summons/effects negated and the cards destroyed/banished. Then the other 10% people get salty cause I was able to do what my deck is designed to do  :iamamoron:

The same thing with "Kaijuis" is happening. Everyone is slotting one of these Kaiju monsters in to their deck because their effects tribute a monster on the enemy's side of the field to special summon them to the enemy's side, which allows you to get rid of those invincible god cards they keep releasing that prevent destruction/targetting/negating attacks etc. People getting salty because they are so easy to use to get rid of a card but if the damn card you brought out wasn't such a bore to get rid of by basically resulting in me stalling till I draw a card/combination of cards that can deal with it then I wouldn't need the Kaiju.

Rujasu said:
You could give Magic Duels on Steam a shot to get a feel for MtG. It's not the most faithful recreation of how the rules go but the overall flow is still the same.

Eh, I'll have a look. Is the description of Hearthstone being like a kiddies MTG accurate? Always liked Hearthstone but felt like it was lacking depth so if MTG is similar I should enjoy, but I'll feel like a traitor to the Yu Gi Oh friend's  :razz:

Mabons said:
Rujasu said:

Eh, I'll have a look. Is the description of Hearthstone being like a kiddies MTG accurate? Always liked Hearthstone but felt like it was lacking depth so if MTG is similar I should enjoy, but I'll feel like a traitor to the Yu Gi Oh friend's  :razz:
I don't think it's a terribly complicated game. It's mostly just that it's designed and refined to actually be played on paper so the rules can't have "and then the computer decides what happens" written in them anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom