Tarχuna (Tarchuna/Tarquinii) [NA/EU]

Users who are viewing this thread

Diokles

Knight at Arms
Etruscan_Header_xu_zpsfy2my6tc.png

―The bronze "Chimera of Arezzo", commonly referred to as one of the best known vestiges of Etruscan art

Avequ!

We are the city-state of Tarχuna (otherwise known as Tarchuna), a well cultured and prosperous member of the Mech Rasnal (Etruscan League). We are a NA/EU clan for Rome at War and our main objective is to create a friendly environment for fellow patrons of classical antiquity as well as aid in the efforts of preserving the RaW community events by partaking in them. Like many other clans, we strive to be a distinguished group among the Mount&Blade: Warband community. As a result we hold a series of general guidelines to prohibit any vulgar behavior as we do not wish to harbor members that speak ill of their fellows, be they clan members or not. We also put great emphasis on establishing a sense of comradeship and cohesion when playing. To do so, we practice on certain days and play other games besides Warband to cultivate relations with one another. If you fancy yourself a mature and capable player, why not check our contact section of the thread and give us a try!

History
The Etruscans, called Etrusci/Tusci by the Latins and Tyrrhenoi/Tyrrsenoi by the Hellenes, were an ancient civilization outside of the Indo-European branch who referred to themselves as Rasenna. This nationalistic term can be deceiving, however, as it implies a single unified Etruscan state within the domain of Italy. This was in fact not true and they were very much divided similarly to the Hellenes, with each Etruscan state holding a single city including the nearby land unclaimed by their foreign neighbors. Tarchuna was one such city state, being one of the most powerful and ancient of the Etruscan cities. Demaratus of Corinth, an exile of Dorian heritage, took residence in the city of Tarchuna along with some of his own Hellenes workmen and essentially introduced Hellenic culture to mainland Italy. A creation myth is even tied to the foundation of the city (similar to the founding of Roma by Romulus and Remus) in which it is stated to be founded by the mythological hero known as Tarchon the Elder. He and his brother, Tyrrhenus, would form the Dodecapoli (the Twelve Cities) and in time the Mech Rasnal is established. It is known that there was not a single league, but three of them as a result of aggressive expansion and northern colonization efforts. One being in Etruria, the second being in Po Valley alongside the eastern Alps, while the third enveloped Latium & Campania. The Romani were subjects of the Etruscans for a time due to the latter's hold of Latium and it was during this period that the Rēgnum Rōmānum (Roman Kingdom) benefited from Kings of Etruscan birth, notably descendants of Demaratus. Not only have these noblemen been credited for building several of Roma's famous structures, such as the Cloaca Maxima and Circus Maximus, but Etruscan culture (Military, Artistic and Religious) gains a foothold on the ever adaptive Romani culture. Despite these aforementioned inspirations Etruscan suzerainty over Roma would end with Romani deposing their last Etruscan King, Lucius Tarquinius Superbus (also known as Tarquin the Proud), and establishing Res Publica (Public Affair). Attempts by Tarquin were made to reinstate the monarchy to the fledgling nation of Roma such as the Tarquinian conspiracy and a force of arms resulting in the Battle of Silva Arsia and the Battle of Lake Regillus but these ploys were in vain. Tarchuna, like many other of its Etruscan brethren, would eventually fall victim to Romani expansion due to the political division of Rasenna and be integrated into Res publica Romana (Roman Republic) as apart of the Socii (Allies).
Etruscan_Second_Picture_zpstuvba0cu.png

―A bronze statuette of an Etruscan warrior

Event Schedule

This is a list of the current events we are attending, click them for an accurate time of when they occur in your timezone:

Weekly Saturday Shieldbattle

⋄ Weekly Training (Undecided)
Clan Guidelines

As previously stated, we hold a series of guidelines that members must uphold to prevent immature actions frequently arising:

1. Be respectful. This means not calling some random guy a douche bag just because he killed team killed you by accident. Bantering is fine but keep it friendly.

2. Obey the admin. If a server does not allow team killing, don't do it. Whatever the rules don't allow, don't do it. It's that simple. Do not argue with the admin of the server/event and cause any unnecessary agitation.

3. Follow Orders. It is imperative that you listen and obey to orders. Indeed there will be times where we will be messing around and be dismissive of cohesion in favor of having a little fun but this is not always the case. There will be times where maturity must prevail over goofing around, and orders must be obeyed. PTS is not something we do and don't ever plan on doing, but that is because we trust members to know when to speak and when not to speak without enforcing it.

4. Do not retaliate. If you are team killed, it is ill advised to kill them right back as you will be just as guilty as they are. Inform an admin of whomever is causing problems and let them handle it. Vigilantism may seem tempting but team killing in revenge will not only tarnish your name but the clan's as well. Always take into consideration that your actions carry over to the clan whenever you have the tags on.

Etruscan_TombOfTheLeopards_zpsqu44ud7y.png

―Banquet scene from the Tomb of the Leopards located within the Necropolis of Monterozzi

Etruscan_CommandStructure_zpsmwhqbifu.png

Class1_zpsr54ixjrf.png

Venzile
Class2_zpsgrzisah4.png

Huzrnana
Class3_zpsmgarpezb.png

Athumic

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_Venzile_zps6bg4azgx.png

Venzile(Servile):
Upon acceptance into the clan, all new members will start off as Venzile, the lowest rank of the Etruscan Hierarchy. This rank serves as a trial period in which the clan will get to know you and vice versa. After an adequate period of time the member will be promoted to Veruchva. Historically the Venzile were the most populous rung within the Etruscan Society. These men formed the numberless serfs and peasants residing in the countryside as well as in Etruscan cities. They were of all ages but equally matched in poverty and destitution.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_4th_zpsyhavirmf.png

Hurznana(The Youthful):
[size=7pt]The Huzrnana are the soldiers who have proven to be a valuable friend of the clan, the equivalent of the Romanus Principes. They are also expected to be familiar with commanding as they will be considered an NCO. While not of a noble background these men formed the experienced middle class of Etruscan Society and were recognized as dependable men by Commanders. It was also possible for them to have sons or brothers within the lower social ranks fighting alongside them.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_7th_zpscf0wdcbx.png

Macstrna(Magister):
These are men who held a civic office within a Rasenna city and held political power at home. The Macstrna are the lowest ranking officers of the clan and aid managing the clan in terms of overseeing recruitment, training and other important tasks. Those who held political offices in classical antiquity typically partook in battles for many reasons such as advancing their own political standings, reaping the reward of loot or simply to fight for their own state/country.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_2nd_zps7kode3kc.png

Veruchva(Light Infantry):
The rank of Veruchva marks those who have passed the trial phase and shown they are capable individuals. After enough experience is shown, those who show promise can advance to Uphalumr. Like their lower class compatriot, Venzile, they too were apart of the lower class and could not afford pristine gear. This lack of wealth has delegated them into skirmishing and other light infantry roles.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_5th_zpsrztorkml.png

Athumic(Noble)
Those of the Athumic rank are the pinnacle of the Etruscan Hierarchy, the nobility as well as the prime example of soldiery. Fighting is not their only concern however as they will also be tasked with aiding the higher ranks keep discipline among the ranks. Historically these men were apart of the upper echelons of the Etruscan Society and could afford the gear associated with it, giving them similarities to the Romanus Triarii. They were also known to arm themselves similar to the Hoplitai and fight in dense phalanx formations.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_8th_zpsw3ghjsre.png

Velthinei(Captain):
The Velthinei is a high ranking officer within the Etruscan army. He aids in keeping the clan cohesive during battle and is the second in command. If the Purthsvana is absent or falls in battle, it falls to the Velthinei to lead his fellow Etruscans to victory. Those in this rank must be indoctrinated in leading as much as any other officer but they will find themselves in the position of commanding more frequently then their comrades.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_3rd_zpsi2hlkuvt.png

Uphalumr(Medium Infantry):
The Uphalumr are the battle hardened lower-class of the Etruscan Hierarchy who could afford sufficient gear to arm themselves, the equivalent of the Romanus Hastati. Those with this rank shown themselves to be true soldiers and displayed enough skill to live to tell the tale! Given the time and effort, those of this rank can ascend to the middle-class of the Etruscan Hierarchy, Hurznana. Historically while being as poor as the previous social ranks, the Uphalumr held the valuable asset of experience in battle.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_6th_zpssqtknyrs.png

Alathna(Those Who Lead):
Alathna are the heroic leaders of the local Etruscan societies, comparable to the mythic heroes of epic poems such as Iliad. These men are Athumic who have shown the charisma to lead by example and hold tasks similar to a high ranking NCO. Historically the Alathna were important Etruscan nobles who imbued themselves in the Hellenes example, donning the hoplon/aspis and fighting in the phalanx formation. They constantly trained and exhibit enormous courage when in battle.

Etruscan_CommandHierarchy_9th_zpsdxg9ntke.png

Purthsvana(General):
The Purthsvana was the head of the army and the highest ranking officer within the Etruscan Hierarchy, holding the imperium to lead the army into battle. He works with all the NCOs and Officers of the clan on how to improve the clan and considers their opinions on what decisions to make regarding the future of the clan. They were among the important political offices of the Rasenna cities, considered to be subordinate only to the Zilath.

Etruscan_Sun_god_zpsiwsdn2qz.png

[size=6pt]―Usil, the Etruscan sun god

Etruscan_Recruitment2_zpssjf4oltj.png
Etruscan_Recruitment_Header_zpsthacvszw.png
Contact Information
If you wish to join or have any further questions on the clan that have not been answered by this thread than feel free to contact any of the individual(s) listed below.

Purthsvana Aule
Steam Page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AMythUnchained/

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Tarchuna
The group is invite only, so in order to join it you must add one of the moderators/admins of the group.

Very nice thread (and great to see a clan for one of the more obscure factions)!

I wonder, what sources did you use for the linguistics, social structure, and culture of the Etruscans?

A new clan that isn't a post-marian legion? A proper presentation? Pinch me please.

The presentation is indeed pretty great and it seems you have done your homework so to speak, welcome and good luck!

Dansk viking:
I found a compilation of Etruscan words with their meaning here, which seemed to coincide well enough with what I had from other books. There are other books that address the rest with more or less depth and I believe a couple of them have been mentioned in our research thread.

You really did a nice entrance on the shieldbattle last Saturday! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
I have to say that all of us were really amazed and wondering how a non-Roman clan could just suddenly pop up.
Most importantly, though, I want to welcome you to the community on behalf of all the Athenai.

Dansk viking said:
I wonder, what sources did you use for the linguistics, social structure, and culture of the Etruscans?
It was no easy task considering how incomplete our understanding of their language and society is. What I did to try and find a suitable ranking structure was use multiple references regarding Etruscan titles, such as Wikipedia's Etruscan Civilization page (which contained some of the governmental ranks), the classes of Rasenna in RaW, and the Etruscan units inside of the Medieval II mod known as Paeninsula Italica II. Once I wrote down the ranks/titles from these sources I used two sites, the one Seek n Destroy mentioned and this one, to translate them. The fruition of that labor is what you see before you now. The understanding of the Etruscan social structure and culture came from reading books and articles about them, which I will make sure to post in the Etruscan research section when I have the chance.

Theretor said:
Good luck! :smile:
Thank you!  :mrgreen:

Seek n Destroy said:
A new clan that isn't a post-marian legion? A proper presentation? Pinch me please.

The presentation is indeed pretty great and it seems you have done your homework so to speak, welcome and good luck!
Yea I figured there was enough Legions cramping the place so I felt a little diversity was in order. Also nice to see my Etruscan studying paid off.  :wink:

jepekula said:
You really did a nice entrance on the shieldbattle last Saturday! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
I have to say that all of us were really amazed and wondering how a non-Roman clan could just suddenly pop up.
Most importantly, though, I want to welcome you to the community on behalf of all the Athenai.
Thank you for the warm welcome and compliment. Me and my friends did enjoy it quite so and look forward to joining the next one!

Random fact: Pila is slang for penis in Portuguese. The more you know.

Yes, I'll add the fancy new shields for Rasenna and won't forget their fancy new kopis either, no bullying is necessary  :ohdear:

Seek n Destroy said:
Yes, I'll add the fancy new shields for Rasenna and won't forget their fancy new kopis either, no bullying is necessary  :ohdear:
Wise move to avoid saying "soon" in your sentence.  :shifty:

Even though the shields are already done and you've posted multiple screenshots of them.

Done and included are two very different things, just ask Creative Assembly about it :shifty:

I'm just partly responsible for the "soon" and I blame part of it on hardware problems and lack of foresight.

KickingJoub said:
Well seeing as it would've been an nerd and nerds hate sunlight and fresh air, I'd think it safe to say it was an inside job.
Who are you and what have you done with Joub? He wouldn't make such basic mistake, not in the grammar police. Maybe after all it was an inside Joub.

Seek n Destroy said:
KickingJoub said:
Well seeing as it would've been an nerd and nerds hate sunlight and fresh air, I'd think it safe to say it was an inside job.
Who are you and what have you done with Joub? He wouldn't make such basic mistake, not in the grammar police. Maybe after all it was an inside Joub.

Oh no! My ruse has been seeing through! For I am intentionally minor grammar errors making Joub, the real one are locked up in the basement! Mwahahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom