TaleWorlds, We Need a New Mexxico

Users who are viewing this thread

Few of the complaints are very novel, and most are expressed in vauge "THIS IS BAD! DO BETTER! YOU SUCK! I WANT MORE STUFF!" Which is utterly meaningless as critique, there's nothing you can act on here. And then there are the people who **** on every new content addition because they are more invested in the game being bad then looking for it to be better that taleworlds should do the opposite of listen to.
This just simply isn't true... I believe it is YOU who are paying attention to the people who convey these. If people are pooping on content gives out, it's usually because it has been done in a more innovative, engaging way in both previous installments and mods.

Oh , did TW actually reply to the letter then, in any way? I wasn't aware. (In fact I assumed there would just be no reply)

I found it for you

Hello creators! First of all, thank you for writing this open letter and bringing it to our attention.

Last week, we went ahead with a meeting to discuss the concerns raised in the open letter, along with a collection of other pressing modding-related issues that we gathered via feedback.

As you might imagine, some of these topics are pretty big and in many cases, it is going to take some time to implement solutions, but we have already started taking steps towards resolving the issues and wanted to share this with you.

To start, we have decided to hold regular modding meetings to discuss feedback and other modding-related topics from the forums and Discord to ensure that issues like these aren’t allowed to fester.

In addition to this, we think that providing clearer warnings and assertions for the tools should help to point you in the right direction when trying to diagnose an issue, or at the very least, provide you with useful information to include when requesting support from us. We’ll be adding them within the next few patches.

So, with the more general things out of the way, let’s move on to the core topics we discussed at the meeting:
  • Custom Campaign Maps
We have identified a number of bugs with modifying and creating new campaign maps and will be looking into fixing them. We have also discussed a couple of potential solutions that we will be exploring to enable modifying of the MapWidth and MapHeight for the walkable area and camera. Ultimately, the message we want to convey here is that this certainly isn’t intended and that you will be able to add custom campaign maps when we have decided which path to take and implemented that solution.
  • Custom Skeletons & Body Meshes
We’ll be adding a system in the future to allow you to change faces, hand meshes, and body meshes, as well as, a system to add new skeletons to the game. Please bear in mind that you will likely have certain limitations when adding new skeletons for agents capable of combat in order for the native combat system to work properly.
  • Code-related documentation
We hope to start providing a reference for the API. In addition to this, we will be reaching out to collect specific requests for documentation to be brought to our developers for review and extend our efforts to make more documentation, similar to this explanation regarding Sealed Class Extension. We encourage you to request specific documentation in our updated forum section for Official Tools & Modding Feedback.
  • Hard-coded behaviour
In this case, we feel that the best approach would be for us to know specifically what you are trying to achieve so that we can find an appropriate solution. Please let us know which specific problems you’re facing here. With that being said, we will be doing a review of our code to see if there are places where we might have used “internal”, or any other modifiers, unnecessarily.

In addition to the topics from the open letter, we identified the following points that we will be going over in the dedicated modding meetings to find solutions.
  • Total conversion mod load order
  • Enable Cloth Physics on CraftedItems
  • Allow attributes on Items to determine weapon damage
  • Extrude function for AI meshing
  • Subdivide function for AI meshing (into quads not tris)
  • Allow single axis scaling of assets before placement
  • Ability to name a new paint layer upon creation
  • Mesh keyframes documentation
  • Documentation for skeletons for reins/horse harness and their implementation
  • Documentation on implementation of custom quivers
  • Add a duplicate mesh option
  • Add attribute to hide head (xml)
  • Ability to disable the usage of generated widget code
As we have said previously and will say again, modding is a huge part of Mount & Blade and we will do what we can to work alongside modders to help you fulfill your modding ambitions. However, we do want to be clear now that there will be some instances where we will be in disagreement about how a problem can, or should, be resolved. Moving forward, we ask that modders include more details about what they are trying to achieve when making suggestions, requesting support, or leaving feedback, rather than just suggesting a solution to their issue on its own. This will help us a great deal when exploring potential solutions, some of which may already be present. It would also be helpful if everyone could share future feedback and suggestions in the Official Tools & Modding Feedback section of the forum to ensure that your comments are processed correctly.

Inappropriate behavior
Why should a developer waste his time and listen to complains daily? A videogame developer during a global pandemic has more important thinks to worry about than a costumer who does not understand the concept of "Early Access" - EARLY access to an unfinished project, ACCESS to one single product is not the same as ownership over the developement process or the developer's life. If you don't like the game, refund it on Steam/GOG. It's judt a game, guys, so if you don't like it, quit and refund it. Nobody forced you to spend your money on it. Less talking, more gaming!
LOL you think the game is going to be finished?

According to the devs, they're almost done with the SP campaign and don't plan to implement any of the SP features that were in WB. LOL it appears we're not the ones misunderstanding the situation.

Also... no. I've worked in software companies before and global pandemics are not an excuse for failing to even have a roadmap. Coders and testers and writers (I happen to be one) can also work from home. It's a thing.

Early Access games are supposed to be about getting feedback from the community on how to improve it - not for feedback from the community to be flamed by fanbois like you who don't realize that the devs have no intention of making a real game.

Early Access is also supposed to denote a beta game with some bugs and gradually implemented features, not a broken-on-arrival mess where practically no SP features are fully-implemented... not skills or quests or kingdom mechanics or marriages or personality traits or... really anything. It's been over a year and BL's combat AI still doesn't know how to use ladders or shields or even pointy sticks. They've even REMOVED features like gang battles since I last played.

Even worse: the word we've gotten from the devs is that - instead of fixing the broken AI - they're dumbing it down even further for a console port.

If you're having fun, then there's something wrong with you. If you have hope that the devs will make the game fun without a massive revolt from the fanbase, then you are extremely gullible.
*SNIP*

Now i see many users that were bashing us "haters" back then, giving the old platitude "that's what early access means", started having the same opinions us "haters" had back then, only now it is too late for complaining, and back then it wasn't (one could argue that it was always futile from this standpoint, but there were honorable exceptions where complaining did come to fruition, and for those i am grateful).

Nobody that loves this franchise wants to refund this game, we all want to play it and enjoy it, but alas, this one IMO had gone a tad bit sideways compared to the previous titles' design.
To those that do enjoy the Native as it is now, more power to them, and i honestly envy them.
It really means a lot to see a mod saying these things. I appreciate it. I know you're not TW, but it's important for long-standing members of the community to recognize the reality of the situation.

I really am an uber-fan and would drop my cynical angst in a minute if a dev would just give the slightest hint that they GAF about us.

Aaand that's why "We need a new @mexxico"
*SNIP* I am by no means claiming that some of the insults here should be allowed, but if you want a forum where people speak only positively then I suggest you delete your account. After all. most of us were positive and constructive for the first year anyways..
-SNIP-
Few of the complaints are very novel, and most are expressed in vauge "THIS IS BAD! DO BETTER! YOU SUCK! I WANT MORE STUFF!" Which is utterly meaningless as critique, there's nothing you can act on here. And then there are the people who **** on every new content addition because they are more invested in the game being bad then looking for it to be better that taleworlds should do the opposite of listen to.
I assure you that all of my complaints have been explicit and detailed from the start.

To be specific... I'm an RP gamer so having a working persuasion and personality system is important to me. But for the majority of the past year, there was a day-one 100%-players-affected bug where starting personality traits would reset to zero the first time they were checked. They finally patched that bug in the fall, but it's still impossible to level some personality traits (which are needed for persuasion checks) and nearly-impossible to level others. It takes dozens or hundreds of completed quests to level honor or mercy. It's extremely difficult to level generosity. It's practically impossible to level valor if you don't play on easy mode. It's literally impossible to level Calculating or Emotional at all (the only way to level Calculating is to persuade - I **** you not - over 100 lords to join your faction).

This is a drop in the overflowing bucket of things that are bugged or not implemented. Skills don't work. Personalities don't work. Sieges don't work. Spears don't work. Shieldwalls don't work. Kingdoms don't work. Quests don't work. Autobattles don't work. Conversations don't work.

It has been a year and there is not a single thing in the SP campaign or mass combat system that works as well as it did in vanilla Warband.

They could literally copy/paste quests and dialogue trees and kingdom mechanics to solve half of these issues. The rest is more difficult - things like functional combat AI that knows how to use a pointy stick and wooden plank - but it's pretty egregious how we've been pointing these specific things out for over a year and they're still tweaking combat loadouts and updating graphic designs and nerfing caravans/workshops and... for the love of f***... implementing a dynamic map battle thing?

Or something? I have no idea what's driving their priorities because it's obviously not the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never even saw the guy post. Either way, I'm not looking for someone to make me feel good, I want results and work properly prioritised for the game
You just stole the words right off my keyboard.
I don't give a rat's arse about the community or how it feels about anything.
I've been playing M&B since the it first came out many years ago and Warband and Viking Conquest plus many many mods, Bannerlord is the culmination of all that work and it doesn't disappoint ME the least bit.
I don't care if the devs communicate or not, they've been working hard and I appreciate their work on many levels, most of which the artwork including the music and all that goes into releasing the game.
Keep up the good work, guys, and don't listen to the haters and naysayers, crybabies who only want more and more for less and less money.
I paid close to 50 bucks for this game and for the price, it's an awesome game! I would've paid close to a hundred bucks if that had been the price. It's that worth it to me.
To those of you who whine incessantly I say this:
Don't buy an Early Access game if you want a finished product and don't start whining when you do. The devs at Taleworlds aren't your slaves!
I think the full release is slated for late this year?
Taleworlds, I say this to you:
Don't do a full release until you're satisfied, I'm willing to wait a couple of more years if that's the time you need to finish it and polish it. No hurry.
Meanwhile, I'm writing this on my phone as Bannerlord is playing on my PC. I'm having a grand o' time!!
Thank You Taleworlds and all the devs and coders and artists! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! ?

We get it, you are special and smarter than everyone here. We get those every week and all sound the same.
The root of the problem is that you are ignorant of Bannerlord's problems and only care about yourself. There's also the unnecessary saltiness against anyone who dares criticize the game. Just as you don't want to be told that you should not enjoy the game, you should leave people who criticize it alone, instead of insulting them. The Belgian authorities are right.

[...] I've been playing M&B since the it first came out many years ago and Warband and Viking Conquest plus many many mods, Bannerlord is the culmination of all that work and it doesn't disappoint ME the least bit. [...]
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If you're not trolling, consider yourself rated.
giphy.gif

I am by all means in favor of insulting the devs.
This is kind of dumb though to be honest. It accomplishes nothing, and they are not even those who are in charge of deciding what goes in the game. I am pretty sure that most of the devs are as frustrated with their management as we are (Mexxico sure seemed to be). -snip-

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom