Taleworlds, this is false advertising and you know it

Users who are viewing this thread

As someone who has been around these forums for a long while. Played Mount and Blade, since their 1.011 update, And as someone whos been waiting for Bannerlord since their first announcement trailer, which consisted of some music and a drum. I have to say, Mb Bannerlord is a great improvement, but it has ways to go. A lot of polishing, a lot of optimizing, and i believe this is due to the fact that Mb bannerlord is a much more developed and complex game then Mb warband, which might give a better game, but also much more work. Id say the worst for me combat wise, is the Cav sword gameplay, it is without doubt the worst field in Mb bannerlord, swords and cav are practically useless now.

But then, theres a lot of improvements that i do like, the game feels much more alive now, especially during sieges, but this game requires heavy optimizing. I have quite an aged computer, Gtx 1050, I5 8th gen 8 ram, etc. And i understand that, but the fact that the servers crash if i dont go very low, is a concern of mine.

It seems to me that even Noudelle has come to see how this whole thing has blown way out of proportion.
Are all of you seriously bickering about a game that is still in development, because of a fairly standard marketing phrase?

Yes, Bannerlord works differently, and yes the game does have issues. But it is still in development, so things are still subject to change.
I personally had the pleasure of participating in Warband's and Bannerlord's beta from an early point, and in similar ways the both improved drastically over the course of the beta.
The main difference now is that Bannerlord has been in development longer and will continue in Early-Access. The game's mechanics are more complex which is the main improvement that can gladly be advertised, but the balancing is still off, which was also adressed in that same statement.

Bannerlord has improved a lot over the past half year and will certainly continue on that path. I'm having a lot more fun already, while not being blind to some obvious balancing tweaks and general design choices. But things are moving, so these constant "this is all doomed" complaints are just downright silly. They are only trumped by the sheer ignorance some users display when they encounter other opinions than their own and they can only resort to insults and flame baiting. It is the ultimate way of showing that you have lost the debate, so stop embarassing yourselves or continue in a civil manner.

Dont know how much i can add to the conversation but here is my take on it before the thread gets locked.

Warband was corse and rough. Bannerlord is a seemingly flat surface that is nice to touch but has massive holes here and there.

I can see how SP players might feel that the current system is better and more realistic. Especially with spears having their only previous experience with them the AI's incompetence in SP and awlpike sweats on MP. As not allot of actual feedback in this thread is given i wont do more either lol.

Before someone comments on my recruit rank as reading through this thread is apperantly super relevant. I have played about 2,4k hours on warband (800singelplayer and rest MP) and 80 hours on the beta just reaching 100wins and 50 losses. (Having had the beta since nov 22).

Never posted (or been a member) much here on the forums as pw forums was more then enough for me.

Should instead highlight the words "learning and mastering" since it's clear some are not interested in learning or mastering anything new.

-3 days from EA with at least another year of balance adjustments and it's already doom and gloom? It would almost be funny if it wasn't sad to see.

The way I'd put it, is that in Warband MP, when I am playing another player, I feel as if I am fighting my own knowledge gaps and that because the combat is super simple and flexible, the potential set of moves and combat system is very broad and has virtually no restrictions, but when I play Bannerlord, it feels like I have to fight the systems of the game itself in order to do what I want to do. Stances, block and attack delays and the parameters being slower than Warband just seem.. baffling, frankly. I enjoy Bannerlord's combat still, because I'm a noob and am mediocre at Warband MP, but even in Warband if I wanted to pull off some crazy freakish strat I could do it if I just chipped away hard enough, but in Bannerlord if I wanted to pull off some crazy freakish strat it feels as if the game itself is stifling me growing my repertoire of moves rather than my knowledge of the game.

This is just Noudelle going down the route of 578, Shin and others. Being salty and cringe isn´t going to change anything. It seems to me that you´re just going to have to let some things go as your own vision and that of Taleworlds seems to be different and it´s ultimately their decision. Insulting them, or their work is not going to do you any favors. And just for the record, I agree with most of what you´ve brought forward in terms of bettering the combat, but these kinds of threads are just toxic to everyone involved.

Literally 90% of people defending Bannerlord's combat do not give any constructive feedback. "It's visually pleasing" / "It's better than Warband." / "After playing Bannerlord for XXX hours, it's much much better than Warband." are at no point feedback and have literally ZERO weight in the eyes of most people who actually care about the game, combat and overall well-being of the company and M&B series.

So... what does the combat in Bannerlord bring that Warband's really lacked? Because as I see it, Bannerlord only managed to downgrade most of the aspects of the combat - we have:
  • weighty blocks, which, even though they might seem more realistic, break the overall feeling of playing with certain weapons or against more players
  • horrible movement acceleration, some classes can literally run, spin, jump all around you and easily outreach your attacks, you can hardly even get a window to hit the enemy
  • swing arcs and the weird inconsistencies in bounces/pokes
  • chambers almost non-existent and literally just random element
  • so many damage altering variables that it actually breaks the damage output
  • stances - like... do I even have to say that? This mechanic was so, so, so unneeded, this doesn't benefit the combat at all and anyone who is even slightly able to utilize stances is literally unstoppable. ("slightly", because it takes such a big jump from the ordinary footwork and anything else than just "slightly" will actually be counterproductive)
And there is so much more... everything combined, it makes the combat underwhelming at best. Sure, it looks nicer than Warband's combat... and what? What's the point of having good and fluent looking combat when the combat actually isn't fluent nor is good nor is in a state even close to Warband's quality. You, people, keep saying that we are the "old-players" who want the Warband combat just for the sake of having a Warband clone - no. We literally don't even want much from the combat. All we want is to eliminate the randomness, the clunkiness and the weird so-called "complex" mechanics which actually do not benefit the combat at all. We had all of that in Warband (perhaps with the exception of some minor bugs and at times broken speed bonus), that's why we always come back to it, because it was already working and now in BL, it isn't. I expected combat to be at least as good as Warband's one.

You want this combat to stay? Then fight for it and you'll realise how hard it will be to come up with relevant arguments.

EDIT:
To be honest, Noudelle is right and I cringed hard when I saw the part about the combat in the blog.

Last edited:
Literally 90% of people defending Bannerlord's combat do not give any constructive feedback. "It's visually pleasing" / "It's better than Warband." / "After playing Bannerlord for XXX hours, it's much much better than Warband." are at no point feedback and have literally ZERO weight in the eyes of most people who actually care about the game, combat and overall well-being of the company and M&B series.

So... what does the combat in Bannerlord bring that Warband's really lacked? Because as I see it, Bannerlord only managed to downgrade most of the aspects of the combat - we have:
  • weighty blocks, which, even though they might seem more realistic, break the overall feeling of playing with certain weapons or against more players
  • horrible movement acceleration, some classes can literally run, spin, jump all around you and easily outreach your attacks, you can hardly even get a window to hit the enemy
  • stances - like... do I even have to say that? This mechanic was so, so, so unneeded, this doesn't benefit the combat at all and if anyone who is even slightly able to utilize stances is literally unstoppable. ("slightly", because it takes such a big jump from the ordinary footwork and anything else than just "slightly" will actually be counterproductive)
And there is so much more... everything combined, it makes the combat underwhelming at best. Sure, it looks nicer than Warband's combat... and what? What's the point of having good and fluent looking combat when the combat actually isn't fluent nor is good nor is in a state even close to Warband's quality. You, people, keep saying that we are the "old-players" who want the Warband combat just for the sake of having a Warband clone - no. We literally don't even want much from the combat. All we want is to eliminate the randomness, the clunkiness and the weird so-called "complex" mechanics which actually do not benefit the combat at all. We had all of that in Warband (perhaps with the exception of some minor bugs and at times broken speed bonus), that's why we always come back to it, because it was already working and now in BL, it isn't. I expected combat to be at least as good as Warband's one.

You want this combat to stay? Then fight for it and you'll realise how hard it will be to come up with relevant arguments.
Word ^^

I think that all those things people in this thread list as flaws make the combat seem a lot more organic and chaotic and for me that's definitely improvement.
What the hell is an organic combat, is it like something you eat

ajqvE.jpg

• stances - like... do I even have to say that? This mechanic was so, so, so unneeded, this doesn't benefit the combat at all and anyone who is even slightly able to utilize stances is literally unstoppable. ("slightly", because it takes such a big jump from the ordinary footwork and anything else than just "slightly" will actually be counterproductive)

EDIT:
To be honest, Noudelle is right and I cringed hard when I saw the part about the combat in the blog.
At least somebody said it..

I really appreciate the work of Noudelle so far. This post however is not as construtive as he was befor. For me as SP I do not share all of his points he mentioned here and in other threads. But I agree with the statement that Bannerlords combat-system is not an improved one, regarding to Warbands. However it is another one and have to, in my opinion, stay another one. I do not want to return to a combat-system like it was in Warband, at least for the SP.
Many wishes for the improvements are in favor to the competetiv part of this game and so also for the competetiv playerbase in MP. Noudelle also mentioned in anoter thread that SP will die with the MP. This however can be true, but I also think for a playerbase like me, who like the improvements so far, also in combat (do not say its perfekt, but with more constructiv critisism like Noudelle does before, can be more enjoyable) an increased focus of the competitiv part of this game can also ruin the singleplayer experience, which is not (for me) primarily focused in the combat PvP rather in the combat PvE.

Went into a Ray's coffee the other day in lower Manhattan, New York -it said "Best Coffee in the World!" on the banner out front. Holy SH*t, best Coffee in the world?! I had to have it.

Wasnt best coffee in the world...wasnt even best coffee i had that day....Im calling a lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom