TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

Users who are viewing this thread

With how dead the AG is during these modern times of discord, Fortnite and Tiktok, where potential newcomers have minimal attention spans and a much lessened capacity to sustain long forum discussions , we need all the people we get.

i don’t think we get to be picky here :razz:

I think people want to have discussions online, just not on forums. There is a video game facebook group I'm in where I regularly see much longer posts than the average post here, even when the subject is bannerlord.

I feel like the prevailing attitude about forums now is that they're incestuous old boys clubs full of an archaic type of internet user, and insurmountable hierarchies reinforced by some masturbatory badge system. Places like facebook and discord are thus more "open" because there is no formal or obvious hierarchy and people usually get ridiculed for taking themselves too seriously.

I expected the Bannerlord EA to bring in fresh blood to quarrel about politics and religion, but that kind of didn't happen?
There are the SomethingTurk guy and Eddie McItalian (who is a worthy AG material).
Facebook is for old people, Jacob. If you post there it means you are an almost dead reactionary or something.

I used to be active on the Guardian comment sections, but they closed most of the political ones some time ago, because they couldn't be assed with the full volume of moderation. Pity, as there were plenty of clever people there and the British humor was excellent.
Then I went to an alt-right site to shout at racists and misogynists until I was banned. And now I'm homeless. I tried to make a good troll post recently somewhere under a random Guardian article, but people were too old to get it and the outrage - appreciation ratio was 5 to 1. It's dispiriting.

Last edited:
Tbh the offtopic seems rather "eliitst" :grin:
Most of you guys seemingly know each other for years. I think there are loads of new faces on the forum but they never dare to step into the offtopic swamp.

Tbh the reason for me to join was that I wanted to provide feedback and bug reports during Bannernlord's closed beta. So that's what I focused on.

Concerning the problem that people do not engage in lengthy conversations:
I think that's partly the fault of this forum's structure.
If I see a good post that I agree with I can't really express that I DO agree:

Either I spam the forum with "good post" or "+1" which burries the good content or I do not react at all which also burries the content.

On top of that, I think one of the reasons why I hardly engage in Bannerlord-discussions anymore is simply because me and others have expressed their thoughts already in the closed beta anyway. ( oh and obviously there is that feeling of being ignored )

But I also think the forum has a couple of perks:
For me as a tournament host it functions well as an archive.
It's the best place to engage with the devs ( at least a couple of them)
And I think the modding forum is a great source for tips and guides.

I feel like the prevailing attitude about forums now is that they're incestuous old boys clubs full of an archaic type of internet user, and insurmountable hierarchies reinforced by some masturbatory badge system. Places like facebook and discord are thus more "open" because there is no formal or obvious hierarchy and people usually get ridiculed for taking themselves too seriously.

On the upside, that attitude seems to be doing a decent job of keeping the crazy out.
...present company excluded, I guess...​
Cuz whoo boy does visiting facebook make me feel stable!

@MadVader aw stop it, you are making me blush :oops:

I am not sure if I really count as new blood though, I have been lurking since 2017 (and probably before that, I just took a while to make an account). Bannerlord gave me an excuse to become active I suppose though (well, that, and being stuck at home for various reasons).

I guess that I am however new enough to not know what AG stands for. But them acronyms have always been confusing to me.

On top of that, I think one of the reasons why I hardly engage in Bannerlord-discussions anymore is simply because me and others have expressed their thoughts already in the closed beta anyway. ( oh and obviously there is that feeling of being ignored )

I can definitely related to that myself. Right now I am kind of waiting to see if the good stuff ever comes out.

Also, Facebook is bad and should feel bad.

Tbh the offtopic seems rather "eliitst" :grin:
Most of you guys seemingly know each other for years. I think there are loads of new faces on the forum but they never dare to step into the offtopic swamp.
This is the least elitist I've ever seen Off-Topic since I joined. A few years ago, elitist would've been putting it mildly.

It's basically a pyramid scheme, one moment you are very welcome and the next you are ****ed.
But then you soldier on through the ranks and get less unwanted sex.

But you make it sound like people were bullied of the forum in the past
Oh, definitely. That was the major downside of Off-topic back then, in my opinion: many of the folks who were 'in the club' could be quite hostile, even toxic, to newer members who they didn't approve of. Some of the new people meant well but just hadn't been in Off-topic long enough to figure out how to fit in, so some of the reactions they got were unfortunate. Others were obviously trolls (or were at least loudly proclaiming opinions which the majority of people disagreed with), and yeah, there were times when the regulars basically ran those guys out of town. And yeah, I've taken part in some of that. It could be a faster way of getting rid of a douchebag than waiting for him to cross enough lines that the moderators ban him. But, it also inflated egos and probably made people less tolerant than they could've been. There was a big-time feeling of "us vs. them," especially among the folks who had been here longer than me.

Back
Top Bottom