TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

Users who are viewing this thread

A CCP app that collects your personal data is comparable to watching a free-to-air tv channel?

That was a poor example, but we live in an era where literally every company with access to the internet collects your data. It just strikes me as odd that whenever it's a company that has links to China people act like it's international espionage.

It reminds me of how the democrats went into a kind of hysteria about Russia "hacking the election" and other bezumny slovos, when all the evidence they found was a handful of minimum wage babushkas retweeting trump from a warehouse near Moscow, and some tenuous links from Trump to Putin.

I get that there is a cyberwarfare threat between the governments of China and America but they sure as hell aren't going to do that through tiktok.

It reminds me of how the democrats went into a kind of hysteria about Russia "hacking the election" and other bezumny slovos, when all the evidence they found was a handful of minimum wage babushkas retweeting trump from a warehouse near Moscow, and some tenuous links from Trump to Putin.

:lol:

Hey, Brutus, this platform is social media too :razz:

I mean sure, I don’t use Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, etc. But I do use WhatsApp and that’s social media too. It’s not that black and white when it comes to its usefulness.

I wonder how many women have been kidnapped through someone they met on Facebook vs how many women suffered the same fate through a newspaper job ad..

:lol:

Hey, Brutus, this platform is social media too :razz:

I mean sure, I don’t use Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, etc. But I do use WhatsApp and that’s social media too. It’s not that black and white when it comes to its usefulness.

I wonder how many women have been kidnapped through someone they met on Facebook vs how many women suffered the same fate through a newspaper job ad..
Sure TW is social media but with layers of protection between users, assuming you're doing your job. It also lacks the sinister "friend request."
If you think TW is the same as Facebook, you're both dumb and blind, though not as dumb as LeChat.
Also, this forum doesn't attract great numbers of the most vulnerable group, teenage girls.

Last edited:
Is a chinese app collecting your data any worse than a westerner app collecting your data?
Everything is worse if the Chinese do it. Would you rather be prosecuted in <western country> or in China? If you are a problem dog in the West you get an op-ed in the Atlantic. If you're a problem dog in the China, you are disappeared. Sure ideally you want no one to have a file on you, but one is still worse than the other.

That was a poor example, but we live in an era where literally every company with access to the internet collects your data. It just strikes me as odd that whenever it's a company that has links to China people act like it's international espionage.

I get that there is a cyberwarfare threat between the governments of China and America but they sure as hell aren't going to do that through tiktok.
Bro, just eat fistful of mercury. There's pollutants in the air and water anyway.

They're not going to turn off the grid through TikTok, but I still see no reason to volunteer any info about me to them. Better safe than sorry.

Everything is worse if the Chinese do it. Would you rather be prosecuted in <western country> or in China? If you are a problem dog in the West you get an op-ed in the Atlantic. If you're a problem dog in the China, you are disappeared. Sure ideally you want no one to have a file on you, but one is still worse than the other.
Except my dear leaders can obtain the collected data about me from <western country> much easier than from China. I'd rather be prosecuted by China because it will have of zero consequence to my life, contrary to the unlubed ass****ing I can get with the help of our westerner friends. Or were you sarcastic? Upon a second read I think you were.

My guess is that this is about the preparation for World War 3. Thanks to social media, various foreign people are getting disgustingly close to each other. With a bunch of westerners mingling with [removed] on a [slurish] app, the war for the protection of grand capitalism against the reddish-yellow menace wouldn't get so much popular support. It's hard to spew radical bull**** about a group of people when your people have firsthanded knowledge about those people.

Last edited by a moderator:

^ practical example of actual dangers from social media. Just one of the many examples that could be brought up.Manipulating people into being the worst version of themselves is disturbingly easy.

Let's be real though, Tik Tok is being banned because of this:

Privacy issues with Tik Tok were known for forever and the Donald did not care until this happened (nor, I wager, does he care now). They are also really not any different from what Facebook and Google do everyday.

A 33 year old man, I swear to God, living in his mom's basement, manipulated over 350 teen age girls via Facebook. 12 actually sent topless photos of themselves to him. Girls lived in 46 of the 50 states, several provinces in Canada and 14 countries in Europe. 4 of the 12 subsequently committed suicide.

Except my dear leaders can obtain the collected data about me from <western country> much easier than from China. I'd rather be prosecuted by China because it will have of zero consequence to my life

That statement assumes that China will never be able to convince your country to deport you to China to get prosecuted and imprisoned, a process which could take no more than a couple of days from start to finish if their government wanted it to. All it takes is for your country to feel it is in its best interests to comply with Chinese demands, and you would be in trouble. Given that China is an economic powerhouse which is investing hugely in renewable industries and technology, it is not hard to imagine that they will one day have control of things that our little western countries need.

Bro, just eat fistful of mercury. There's pollutants in the air and water anyway.

They're not going to turn off the grid through TikTok, but I still see no reason to volunteer any info about me to them. Better safe than sorry.

If you use that logic then by 2030 you probably won't be using any apps or playing any big budget games, because Chinese megacorps are on track to buy the lot. Chinese-made phones have been in most peoples hands since the early 2010s but it's only in the last few years as the trade war has kicked off that anybody has cared.

The main rationale I can think of for avoiding Chinese-affiliated stuff is to avoid supporting a genocidal regime, but given the sheer mountain of Keynesian power the CCP and its corporate friends have, the only thing that will accomplish is to make you feel better.

Brombem, you stubborn goat, nobody uses TikTok to hang out with Chinese people. I'm starting to think you don't even know what the app is. It is owned by "a Chinese company" (=Chinese government, really), but it's not some Patrice Lumumba's Friendship Between Nations App.

Trump is taking it out on the app for wrong reasons, but even broken clock is right twice a day.

Jacobedit: Literally the only phone apps I use is the Apple navigation, Duckduckgo and Whatsapp, because my current job would be virtually impossible without the latter and I'm looking forward to downgrading to a burner or not having a phone at all the moment it's financially possible. The overall state of data privacy is abysmal in basically any country. Lots of nominally western companies happily cooperate with governments all over the world, but still there is some barrier and distinction between a company and a government in the west, while China is just one dystopian black hole.

I'm not kidding myself that my privacy-awareness is going to change the world, but I don't think rolling over like a dog is the "smart" option either.

Last edited:
That statement assumes that China will never be able to convince your country to deport you to China to get prosecuted and imprisoned, a process which could take no more than a couple of days from start to finish if their government wanted it to. All it takes is for your country to feel it is in its best interests to comply with Chinese demands, and you would be in trouble. Given that China is an economic powerhouse which is investing hugely in renewable industries and technology, it is not hard to imagine that they will one day have control of things that our little western countries need.
It's still a future possibility, compared to the current 100% chance of gulag if I slip up on Facebook. I'd take a possible chinese death squad in the future anytime over a letter from a state attorney in the present.

Brombem, you stubborn goat, nobody uses TikTok to hang out with Chinese people. I'm starting to think you don't even know what the app is. It is owned by "a Chinese company" (=Chinese government, really), but it's not some Patrice Lumumba's Friendship Between Nations App.
I must confess, I don't know much about it. It's something where you post videos of yourself to show yourself as a better person than you actually are, no?
Still, frequently going to the chinese market makes chinese people less mithological and more human than, for example, eskimos or luxembourgians are in our eyes.

I think it's naive to think Russian intelligence is not also involved and doesn't have disinformation strategies on social media.
How much it actually matters is debateable (I doubt it had any significant impact on the election, but it's hard to tell).

There is zero doubt Russia actively engages in (dis)information warfare and if i could, I would gladly snap the neck of every kypro-sputnik "journalist", but if that counts as "hacking elections" then boy is there even a country whose elections are not hacked by a number of powers at the same time.

It's no more than 15 years ago that every other Eastern European political party openly hired "American advisors" who were blatant DoS, if not CIA, agents and I would venture a guess that it's still fairly common today, except more sophisticated with extra degrees of Kevin Bacon and more plausible deniability.

I think it's naive to think Russian intelligence is not also involved and doesn't have disinformation strategies on social media.
How much it actually matters is debateable (I doubt it had any significant impact on the election, but it's hard to tell).

If it had any direct impact on the election, that was basically unintentional. The point of using bots is to muddy the waters of political discussion and turn internal disputes between neolibs and neocons into grand conspiracies involving russian spies and cyberwarfare, hence why no attempt was made to hide what they were doing.
Until a few years ago they did something similar to try and undermine the BBC by posting loads of comments saying "BBC is biased for not reporting on riot #8283782 within 2 hours, watch Russia Today instead!". It was so blatant that accusations of russian propaganda began flying immediately.

Back
Top Bottom