TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

Users who are viewing this thread

That car driving into the crowd deserves a separate post. I don't know whether the police force managed to close off traffic to the streets the protests were on but regardless of that, it definitely does not look like an accident. The car looks to be speeding up when approaching the crowd. That's straight up terrorism.

Goker said:
Feragorn said:
Nothing is actually disenfranchising these "disenfranchised white men", though. They're being preyed upon by the white supremacists that are telling them that they shouldn't accept anything less than what their parents or grandparents had.
Okay, let's say that you're right about this. Instead of making them realize this, lots of people would want them to be fired from their jobs and shunned by their communities. How does that solve anything?
Aren't Euro governments starting to push deradicalization training as part of sentencing for domestic ISIS supporters? I've said elsewhere that the school system in this country doesn't adequately educate kids to not be terrible people. You need to make people realize that the temptation of nazism and fascism and white supremacy won't solve their problems, and you also need to remove the contact between the radicalizing forces and the susceptible population. You don't just say "oh well, kids are going to find ISIS anyway" and leave them alone.

Goker said:
I'm glad you are having a good time or at least acceptable time in your university but I do not see how this is a response to what I said.
My point is that these people don't act in good faith, they'll never act in good faith, and their point is to force other people to act in the same way. If they respond to an incorrect perception of disenfranchisement with hate and violence, you don't give them what they want. They want to roll back society to white supremacy, because they perceive any degradation in white supremacy as a direct attack. They must be taught that their status in life is not being attacked, but rather that other people are getting a more fair chance at life. That can't be done when they've already made it to the "literally nazis" stage.

Goker said:
So we need to beat them to keep them away? It's fine if they exist in a diminished state elsewhere? Until they gather more people again? They may not be as bold again for a while but it won't stop them. I'm not really sure about whether or not Trump wants them gone, tbh, so this may be the only course of action possible. But it'd be a lot better if the state were to tackle this situation by dismantling the white supremacist arguments rather than making vague remarks.

Basically, my argument stems from seeing other fringe groups like these and how the shunning treatment does not solve anything. Might work in some cases but I haven't seen people react well to being silenced. It is far better to have them do their protests, peacefully and engage in actual discourse. Let the public decide what they think. Don't push people away into echo chambers where they such fringe groups will thrive.
Local resistance to extremist rhetoric and violence is what's possible for individual people to do on a daily basis. Showing up to counterprotest takes courage, and if the counterprotest hadn't happened, that would have been tacit acceptance of the KKK/Neo-nazi presence as being legitimate.  The KKK was defanged during the Civil Rights era by mass movements and legal efforts. Both are needed, since legal efforts without popular support lead to continued radicalism, whereas popular movements without legal support can be ineffectual in developed societies.

You say it's better to have their protests peacefully and engage in discourse, but that assumes that all opinions are equally respectable, and all actors act in good faith. This is obviously not the case.

Goker said:
That video is just ugly. They would have to be anti-nazi protesters since there were more of them and this crowd looked big. And it didn't look like a single car either. At least two.

The rear car was the assaulting car, it hit the front car and pushed it.

Goker said:
That car driving into the crowd deserves a separate post. I don't know whether the police force managed to close off traffic to the streets the protests were on but regardless of that, it definitely does not look like an accident. The car looks to be speeding up when approaching the crowd. That's straight up terrorism.
And seeing the scumbags either try and spin it as 'fake news' 'false flag' or barely-to-unveiled support is far, far uglier. Most of them just trolls, but at this point saying 'oh it's not a problem' is pure self-delusion.

Sorry this will be a short post, I gotta run.

Feragorn said:
Aren't Euro governments starting to push deradicalization training as part of sentencing for domestic ISIS supporters? I've said elsewhere that the school system in this country doesn't adequately educate kids to not be terrible people. You need to make people realize that the temptation of nazism and fascism and white supremacy won't solve their problems, and you also need to remove the contact between the radicalizing forces and the susceptible population. You don't just say "oh well, kids are going to find ISIS anyway" and leave them alone.
No, you're right. Definitely agree with everything there. But also believe this is important. https://twitter.com/TommyRefenes/status/896441353386590209

Feragorn said:
Goker said:
I'm glad you are having a good time or at least acceptable time in your university but I do not see how this is a response to what I said.
My point is that these people don't act in good faith, they'll never act in good faith, and their point is to force other people to act in the same way. If they respond to an incorrect perception of disenfranchisement with hate and violence, you don't give them what they want. They want to roll back society to white supremacy, because they perceive any degradation in white supremacy as a direct attack. They must be taught that their status in life is not being attacked, but rather that other people are getting a more fair chance at life. That can't be done when they've already made it to the "literally nazis" stage.
Yes, they must be taught that but I'm not sure everyone in those protests have made it to the literally nazi stage. Plus, the way you treat those at literally nazi stage does have an impact on potential future literally nazis.

Feragorn said:
Local resistance to extremist rhetoric and violence is what's possible for individual people to do on a daily basis. Showing up to counterprotest takes courage, and if the counterprotest hadn't happened, that would have been tacit acceptance of the KKK/Neo-nazi presence as being legitimate.  The KKK was defanged during the Civil Rights era by mass movements and legal efforts. Both are needed, since legal efforts without popular support lead to continued radicalism, whereas popular movements without legal support can be ineffectual in developed societies.

You say it's better to have their protests peacefully and engage in discourse, but that assumes that all opinions are equally respectable, and all actors act in good faith. This is obviously not the case.
I do believe that each opinion should be respected and there is no such thing as a thought crime. If white supremacists only believe that whites are superior and do not take action to further their beliefs, they need to be debated, not beaten or silenced.

Areze said:
Goker said:
And seeing the scumbags either try and spin it as 'fake news' 'false flag' or barely-to-unveiled support is far, far uglier. Most of them just trolls, but at this point saying 'oh it's not a problem' is pure self-delusion.
It is rather ironic to see people who jump at every chance to claim "Islamic terrorism" try to squirm their way out of this one.

Not a problem, thanks for being here.

Goker said:
No, you're right. Definitely agree with everything there. But also believe this is important. https://twitter.com/TommyRefenes/status/896441353386590209
Certainly this exacerbates problems, but people like to jump on "the media" in all its forms as a cause of all sorts of issues. Publicizing the violence that these people are capable of can also be important in showing people that they're not just other people with opinions, they're threats to others.

Goker said:
Yes, they must be taught that but I'm not sure everyone in those protests have made it to the literally nazi stage. Plus, the way you treat those at literally nazi stage does have an impact on potential future literally nazis.
I'm not sure how I should react to being punched in the face by a guy who's not wearing a swastika, but is standing next to and protesting with guys who are wearing swastikas.

Goker said:
I do believe that each opinion should be respected and there is no such thing as a thought crime. If white supremacists only believe that whites are superior and do not take action to further their beliefs, they need to be debated, not beaten or silenced.
I'm not advocating for unlawful assaults on people, I'm saying that judicious self defence is always necessary when interacting with people who are calling for my (me, personally!) genocide. I've never had a conversation where I convinced a Nazi to stop being a Nazi. None of the "debate, engagement, etc" reactions to Nazis lately have ever convinced anyone to stop being a Nazi. The debate is just as much of a propaganda point for extremists as actual clashes. Look at how they've handled negative media coverage. Look at how they handle internet discourse. It's not productive.

edit: Charlottesville mayor saying one dead. (Probably in car ramming?) Activist reports saying it was an IWW unionist who died.

Jesus Christ. In my home state too.

**** dude this country is too ****ed up, I need to get the **** out of here. Even in my part of the state which is pretty progressive there's no hard barrier on this **** so we still see the same **** here that happens in the rest of the state.

Man, worst time to go and get ****faced at a festival.

Feragorn said:
I've never had a conversation where I convinced a Nazi to stop being a Nazi. None of the "debate, engagement, etc" reactions to Nazis lately have ever convinced anyone to stop being a Nazi.
And instead of proving that you got rekt in the debate, you failing to convince a nazi to stop being one is further proof that talking doesn't work? :razz:

As for discourse not working, well, I'm not so sure about that. I'm certain there are plenty of former nazis who were convinced to stop through discussion.

Austyboo ^_^ said:
Don't get excited just because you see spooky scary assault weapons, get excited when they are used unlawfully.
So, when a random thug walks around in public with a kitchen knife in hand, there's no need for concern until he starts stabbing people, right?

I've always wondered what would actually happen if someone opened fire on one of these militia groups. Are most of them actually trained well enough to keep their heads?

Comrade Temuzu said:
And instead of proving that you got rekt in the debate, you failing to convince a nazi to stop being one is further proof that talking doesn't work? :razz:

"Rekt in the debate" = being berated with racist slurs and being told to go back to the ovens. **** off if you think that's okay, or if you're going to just fall back on the "free speech" argument. What's legal != What's right. Being an ******* because "it's funny" is a tired meme.

Captured Joe said:
Trump condemns the violence: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/896420822780444672

Which was such a flaccid statement that Richard Spencer even took it to mean that Trump was denouncing Antifa, and not the Nazis.

Yeah I was just gonna say. Internetnazis are never any good at debating. Which is why they don't, they just go full *****ass and will 93% of the time just call names, move goalposts and behave like total rgodfreys

He's either tacitly supporting the sorts of extremism that lead to Nazis ramming cars into crowds of people, or he's so unbelievably incompetent that he's incapable of doing anything right when it comes to domestic terror.

Back
Top Bottom