TaleWorlds Modding Q&A

Users who are viewing this thread

I got two very specialized questions.
I feel the game AI is far from optimized and the idea of using an individual AI for each troops is quite extensive, i would rather use methods like a partial mass AI to make sure we can host enormous battles so my questions are.

1: will it be possible to shutdown the AI of troops?
2: will it be possible to edit rendering distance or select the showing of lods based on ingame distance?

Hello! I have a several questions.

1) Is there any information how heraldry is applied to the shields? What defines banner placement in the correct spot of UVs?

2) How does a color painting works for the armor? Is it vertex painted? Are there any ID maps that defines which areas of the model should get certain colors and which not?

3) Can we potentially use heraldry on armors too?

Thank you!

2) How does a color painting works for the armor? Is it vertex painted? Are there any ID maps that defines which areas of the model should get certain colors and which not?

Answered earlier in this thread:

The preferred way to create materials is using metallic workflow. Standard shader for it named "pbr_metallic" in game. It uses Lambertian Diffuse and GGX Specular.
The texture maps for that Albedo(RGB/A), NormalMap, Metallic(R)+Gloss(G)+AmbientOcclusion(B), also there is optional tiling DetailNormalmap, and Heightmap for POM/Tesselation.

The textures will be uv mapped to the 3D armour meshes.

Answered earlier in this thread:
Thanks, I've read gkx message. But I doubt that each armor in Bannerlord has 6 Albedo textures. If you look at Banner Editor menu, you'll notice that some parts of the armor can be painted with different colors and some are not. I'm just trying to understand what texture map (or mask) is responsible for it.

Thanks, I've read gkx message. But I doubt that each armor in Bannerlord has 6 Albedo textures. If you look at Banner Editor menu, you'll notice that some parts of the armor can be painted with different colors and some are not. I'm just trying to understand what texture map (or mask) is responsible for it.
In Warband, heraldry was done by imposing separate variable heraldic materials into an alpha window in the armour texture. They may approach it the same way in BL.

PS heraldry was Lord as opposed to faction specific in Warband - 6 is no problem. The heraldry is specific to the faction/lord not the armour. The armour just needs a standard sized alpha window through which the required heraldry is superimposed.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make a very "simple" mod which colors the Nameplates(specifically SettlementNameplates) to a color for each faction, unlike originally where the color is selected based on the current relation with the player(Neutral, Ally, Enemy). My understanding is that the color is set by selecting a style for the brush of the widget via Widget.SetState(string) using a string corresponding to a brush-style in the Nameplates.xml("NeutralTown" etc).

My line of thinking have been to add styles to the brushes in Nameplate.xml("aseraiTown" etc) then changing SetNameplateRelationType(int type) to call SetSate not with a string based on the relation but rather the faction name. To do this I need to figure out what faction the current Nameplates settlement belongs to. The Widget have no direct access to the settlement its representing but it has the name of it stored in SettlementNameplateWidget.(Big, Normal, Small)NameplateWidget.SettlementNameWidget.Text.

So finding a Settlement from its name now becomes the next task. The Settlement.Find(string) dont seem to work with the name, as it is using the idString which I think is semi randomly generated(no real clue tho?). So to get around this I have tried to make a Dictionary that uses the name as the key and a Settlement/idString, building it by iterating over Campaign.Currnet.Settlements during the loading of a campaign(tried DoLoading, OnGameLoaded, OnGameInitializationFinished) but as soon as I try to access Settlement.StringId or adding the Settlement to the dictionary the game crashes with no error messages.

Clearly I am doing something wrong, but I don't understand what. Very possible that there is a easier/more correct way of doing it but I'm very new to modding games so I'm not really used to the flow of execution/listener structur/interface system(Gauntlet) that bannerlord has. Any help is much appreciated

I've seen the UV on male/female face.
Carelessly done, if you ask me which you won't ...
Will that be adjusted or are we stuck with that?

How can I debug the UI? I'm looking for example right now for the dialogue when you encounter 2 parties fighting and want to choose which side to support. I'm having a really hard time finding the specific XML/c# class describing it. I see the Developer Console mod provides a ui.toggle_debug_mode command but it appears this mod is no longer supported as of 1.4.2+

Edit: I tried ui.toggle_debug_mode on an earlier version of Bannerlord and it's not what I'm looking for either. I'm trying to find a way to find the specific class that controls a dialogue screen.

Last edited:
How can I debug the UI? I'm looking for example right now for the dialogue when you encounter 2 parties fighting and want to choose which side to support.
It is not a dialogue, but a menu.
Code:
TaleWorlds.CampaignSystem.dll
TaleWorlds.CampaignSystem.SandBox.CampaignBehaviors.EncounterGameMenuBehavior

It is not a dialogue, but a menu.
Code:
TaleWorlds.CampaignSystem.dll
TaleWorlds.CampaignSystem.SandBox.CampaignBehaviors.EncounterGameMenuBehavior

Actually there seems to be a few API that seems to deal with 2 parties meeting, and I suspect some of them doesn't even work.

At the top of my head, two methods I can remember, spelling may be incorrect:

onPreConversation
onPartyDoMeet ? <= this one dont seem to work

Because of the asset explorer tool we now know that armour meshes come in base form, converted form (feminized) and slim form (narrower arms for gauntlets). Will the mesh editing tools be able to do the conversions automatically (similar to Warband's openBRF) or will we have to make those changes manually in 3D modelling software?

In the full game, what will be the full capacity of factions? like, how many custom faction can be added to the game, i one where to make the Europe 1257 mod for Bannerlord for example, with all the European factions and a big map, and with the map editor tool coming, would a big map of Europe be possible? And can you add settlements through the map editor? With no xml coding and so on, just automatic map editing

First question was in the OP all along:
B6. How many factions can this system support? Are there easy mechanisms to create/modify factions?
You can add as many factions as you like. Technically, creating factions is just a method call, but of course making them interesting would be the harder part!

Last edited:
I understand game development is unpredictable but they need to stop dropping deadlines and estimates that they're never able to meet. This has happened many times throughout this development process now.

To be fair we're probably half to blame for that, constantly pressing for information and dates (which is justified in my opinion, people wanna know what's going on!)
Surely we can't be too far off now, but I always put a month buffer zone between when a 'release date' is set and when it actually releases.

I didn't find the answer in this thread, how do you copy face values for character creation?

Also will we be getting any official tutorials and or tools for coding with the release of the mod tools? @Callum
E.g. disabling and replacing native scripts. Which will be essential for overhaul mods.

I didn't find the answer in this thread, how do you copy face values for character creation?

Also will we be getting any official tutorials and or tools for coding with the release of the mod tools? @Callum
E.g. disabling and replacing native scripts. Which will be essential for overhaul mods.

I believe the modding tools scheduled for release will be the scene and 3D asset editors previously advised. I doubt there will be anything related to C# coding.

Back
Top Bottom