TALEWORLDS, LISTEN TO ME. WATCH MY EYES, DON'T LOOK AWAY.

Users who are viewing this thread

We were able to fix regular ladder almost on all maps. We were also able to make units counterattack and surround attacker when gate and walls are breached (these are fixable in the currently available code). However we discovered issue with towers that simply require new queue points which can be only added map wise (currently there is only one queue point for each tower, that serves 3 ladders at the time which is causing lot of mess to the AI). We were able to reduce soldiers climbing down by reducing their "melee agro range" in sieges, but preferrable solution would be hardcoding the ladders to go only up. As for AI improperly spawning and standing in wrong places on siege maps, this is editable in the map, only problem is that maps are not editable by modders (you can actually make brand new map, including castle with current modding tools, you just cannot change already existing maps from TW, thats how we know its matter of manual editing). Same aplies to AI improperly reacting to rocks or big trees in field combat maps, it is actually possible to make AI react it would just require editing.
@Dejan Anyway to pass these fixes to the appropriate dev? The mod that implemented these fixes is Realistic Battle Mod for Bannerlord

the ones on the engine side they can't access to fix, the ones "public" to modders he already fixed in his mod (which is amazing btw)
So it's not actually a fix to a problem. That's what I'm saying. "Allow us to see that part of the engine" isn't a solution suggestion - you don't know what the hell is happening in the background. It's a workaround. And modders are not required to get TW's **** together.

We were able to fix regular ladder almost on all maps. We were also able to make units counterattack and surround attacker when gate and walls are breached (these are fixable in the currently available code). However we discovered issue with towers that simply require new queue points which can be only added map wise (currently there is only one queue point for each tower, that serves 3 ladders at the time which is causing lot of mess to the AI). We were able to reduce soldiers climbing down by reducing their "melee agro range" in sieges, but preferrable solution would be hardcoding the ladders to go only up. As for AI improperly spawning and standing in wrong places on siege maps, this is editable in the map, only problem is that maps are not editable by modders (you can actually make brand new map, including castle with current modding tools, you just cannot change already existing maps from TW, thats how we know its matter of manual editing). Same aplies to AI improperly reacting to rocks or big trees in field combat maps, it is actually possible to make AI react it would just require editing.
I understand what you are saying and these are great workarounds. But in my opinion, these are not permanent solutions. Because you don't know if queuing logic is what they have in mind in long run. As I said, it can be a placeholder. AI score calculation on the engine side is weird as hell. I can't give many details but in 2016, they had hilarious issues with siege. They changed several things and that worked out. They didn't have siege towers back then. And now they have it and they still have stupid issues. And its likely that they want to change their strategy about this. Because you know, Sieges don't have only ladder/siege tower issues. Overall AI is performing super poorly.

Another way to fix the siege towers (this is message for any dev reading this) is by:
A: put the right and left ladder as far from the middle one as possible, not right next to it, they cause interference in AI pathfinding.
B: make 3 waiting queues per siege tower instead of one. Each queue for each ladder.
C: use the more sofisticated and better functioning code from the simple ladders for the tower ladders too (we are already doing this in RBM)
D: force the bots to always climb up no matter what, ban them from climbing down

All of these things should help with the siege tower AI (sadly most of them are out of our reach as modders).

This seems like the best solution currently.

I think that this is going to need a major code overhaul to be honest. That might take several months to do.

This seems like the best solution currently.

I think that this is going to need a major code overhaul to be honest. That might take several months to do.
Well then they need to get tf on it and stop being so comfortable with fundamental issues in the gameplay. It honestly makes them look bad every time they release a patch and that isn't fixed. Have some pride in your game for god sake.

Maybe if they played their own game they would realize how detrimental these are to the player experience

Maybe if they played their own game they would realize how detrimental these are to the player experience
My sentiments exactly. They work on this game like people who have zero idea how it actually plays. There are some very basic fundamental things that they have seemingly been put on the backburner to go on adding new content. Like... why would you add keep battles when sieges don't even work?

I'd much rather they flesh out the stuff they have than move on to keep battles and prison breaks. Obviously I want those things eventually but I also want the game to actually work right. Who has any faith at all that keep battles and prison breaks are gonna be really amazing experiences when the gameplay is broken in general...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom