Taleworld's games are so deeply rooted in history

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikomakkos

Knight at Arms
I love how Taleworld's games are deeply rooted in history and can even make people more interested in history. Like me, well I am generally interested in history but today I've been reading some stuff I wouldn't have if I hadn't been playing and thinking about Bannerlord.

That's all, really. I wanted to start a topic but I realize I have nothing more to say for now than this.

Discuss.

Gameplay accomodates it as well - it's not hands on all the time, so you can put on some tunes, place a book in front of you and mix it up.

Chronicles work well because of how book layout looked back in middle ages. Thiethmar chronicles, Gall Anonymous, Ibrahim ibn Jacob, Gesta Hungarorum - all compliment gameplay a lot.
And if you have 2nd monitor: Roland Warzecha, Skallagrim etc make for a good complimentary watch as well.

Vlandian-Aserai playthrough would be a great opportunity for similar reading on Templars, Richard Lionheart etc.

Although whenever I see someone ramp up about how X looked at in history, it can be painful, but that's universal for online unmoderated discussion about history, and as you say - the thing is to get people hooked. Getting into or hating history can usually fall to having good/bad teacher - this is a great opportunity to get people hooked.
The thing that makes me giggle is how many complaints sound as if a medieval fighter got access to TW forums. Cav OP, archers should not be able to kill elite knights etc. Love the little stuff like war-razor two hander (from Maciejowski Bible iirc), as well as many beautiful variations of medieval armour.

Every dig at something done not quite right makes me appreciate we're likely in the golden age of media for history nerds, and MB will be one of the highlights of this trend.

Last edited:
I allways appreciated TaleWorlds inclination to realism and actual history. The concept of bringing all of these different cultures and regions together on one big island is very fascinating. I especially appreciate the lack of fantasy elements, like dragons and wizards in the Mount and blade series. TW only makes up things like the people or the history of Calradia (which also wasn't an actual place of course), but solely for the purpose of bringing all of these different "real" cultures, regions etc. together under the umbrella which is Calradia. In my opinion, that does "not" make it a fantasy game in any way! People who call it that, are dissmissing all of taleworlds effords to keeping realism and historical accuracy, by setting it on level with games like Skyrim or the Witcher, which are not even remotely trying to be historically accurate in any way. I witnessed flying horses in Bannerlord though..

Back
Top Bottom