TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest [September 2018][Scening]

Users who are viewing this thread

Efe Karacar said:
Sick submissions!

Forum username: Efe Karacar
Scene name: Forest Village
Scene download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uojaY4kCPO7kxJxwgt_J-7Ws_sePBNZ7/view?usp=sharing
Terrain code:
scn_multi_scene_1 multi_scene_1 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b
outer_terrain_plain

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.
No offense, but your taskbar looks horrible.

Really nice submissions from everyone so far, might even be able to use some as multiplayer battle maps with minor edits.

Namakan said:
Efe Karacar said:
Sick submissions!

Forum username: Efe Karacar
Scene name: Forest Village
Scene download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uojaY4kCPO7kxJxwgt_J-7Ws_sePBNZ7/view?usp=sharing
Terrain code:
scn_multi_scene_1 multi_scene_1 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b
outer_terrain_plain

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.
No offense, but your taskbar looks horrible.

I love it, np

BNS Marko said:
The submission deadline is in 33 minutes everyone! So many good scenes, I'm very much looking forward to the playtesting session :smile:

Hit us up in the discord when the playtest will take place. I want to be able to find the maximum of bugs in any scenes :wink:

Live Testing

You're all hereby invited to the playtest of all the scenes submitted together with the judges, players, and any visiting modders.

Time and Date: Sunday, 7th October 2018, 19:00 BST.

Server: MBMC_Scenes
Password: map

Last time there were ~20 of us, this time we're expecting more people to show up and have some fun. The plan is to dedicate 15-20 minutes to each submitted scene, with players battling it out, exploring the scene and we'll also spawn some AI on both sides to test out the AI Meshes. See you there!

Thanks to everyone who showed up on the test, it was a blast!

Results will hopefully be in within a few days, hopefully the judges can make time.

The Results Are In

Months have passed, and here we are at the end of the second scening contest! And what a contest it was. A whooping seven submissions of excellent quality, it was a real pleasure to test and play these. Without furder ado, the winners:

oAVRdez.png
gPIIKzX.png
4WQskqx.png

1st Place - Akathir's Hvall - 111/120 points
5D35C35EE79376BE2CE9C79EB3C1095D4E024E9D
Where do I even start with this scene. Hvall is one of the most impressive showcases of how far you can go with Native. Masterful, layered terrain work, ingenious use of props to create an imposing waterfall, meticulous and sensible detail arrangement(fishing poles!!) on every part of the scene. The entire scene is very visually and atmospherically consistent in depicting the Skyrim-esque cold, yet beautiful village deep in the mountains. Surely a very carefully planned the scene, and the execution is flawless. Congratulations to Akathir for the first place, it's well deserved!

2nd Place - Andzi Proxy's Virelvild - 102/120 points
mgeblnB.jpg
"Virelvild - a perfectly serene fishing village, surrounded by forest", Ruthven says. And that's probably the best description of this incredibly compact, yet so detailed and busy village by Andzi Proxy, a returning scener to the contest. "Small, well planned village scene with something interesting wherever you look." - Adorno. Indeed, Virelvild is very calm, charming and intelligently uses space. The battles also take advantage of the compact terrain with exciting results. Congratulations to Andzi Proxy on the second place!

3rd Place - Alpha's Verdentil - 97/120 points
19C79731DF00C9E0D2856E7CAE48AEA7855211D9
From the secluded, hidden landscape of Virelvild we move into Verdentil, a seemingly rich, prosperous and busy village in the flatlands. It's a very visually imposing scene with great layout of the many different village areas; the village itself, fields, grapeyards, a graveyard, ruins, a watermill. The village looks realistic and lively, with an original composition and setup. Congratulations to Alpha on the third place!

Honourable Mention - InVain's Wildling Village - 93/120 points
oEMBT.jpg
InVain's Wildling Village is another scene which displays masterful terrain editing. The whole scene immediately gives off a very recognisable Barbarian style and atmosphere. The scene also contains a distinct and sizeable outer village area which greatly adds to the overall experience. The highlight of the scene during testing were the three apple trees, a great idea and also one that must've required a good amount of effort. Many thanks to InVain for submitting this great work for the community to use.

Honourable Mention - Gokiller's Farvale - 90/120 points
F87507B2829EF05ABED61860F1005D66D74155F7
Gokiller's Farvale is another peaceful, serene village, recognisable by the twin bridge landmark. It's a beautiful village with great prop and terrain manipulation, in a classic looking Native layout. Sadly, the very small size detracts from the beautiful environment and terrain. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful scene if a bit unambitious. Many thanks to Gokiller for submitting his work for the community's use.

Without going into deeper analysis I'd also like to thank Efe Karacar and Ettenrocal(props for submitting your first work, don't give up!) for their submissions.

mgdVvTP.png

Afterword

Big thanks to everyone who took part in the organization and implementation of this contest. Big thanks to the judges Adorno and Ruthven who participated in the tests and reviewed the submissions. Thanks to William and Phoenix for providing the test server, Efe Karacar who crafted the custom badges, Khamukkamu(once again) for the rewards, all the people that showed up for playtesting, and finally the creators who submitted these marvellous scenes.

Winners, contact Khamukkamu for your prize.

Congratulations to winners, Akathir's scene deserve the first place: this waterfall is incredible, how can you do that with native ? Others scenes are great too, i was already happy i completed mine and it was functional :mrgreen: ! And special congratz to Alpha, national fellow and thanks to him for answering my noob questions.

Congratulations Akathir! Well deserved! Glad to have you on my team!  :razz:
Also well done to the other winners and participants!

Thanks judges and organizers for the contest!

Thanks guys!  :smile:
Congratulations to the other contestants, you had some  great design choices that will definitely influence my scenes in the future, so thank you for that as well!
I agree with Alpha though, i would like to know which aspects could i improve more.

Congratulations to everyone who entered the contest! I think our winners are in exactly the right places, but I have to say that the quality of all the submissions really blew me away. Akathir came out on top because he really pulled all the stops - but if we had this same pool of sceners for all contests, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a different winner every time. The bar has officially been raised.  :wink:

For what it's worth, here was my specific feedback: (sorry for the strange formatting)
Alpha - Verdentil
Comments said:
Verdentil is visually a very stunning scene. The layout is excellent; every section is its own perfectly executed
little area: village, field, graveyard, ruins, etc... all seamlessly and cleverly woven together. Prop use is excellent, with lots of creative
ideas in play, particularly on the buildings in and around the town. However, I found it a little curious that despite how
purposeful everything in the scene seemed, there were a few instances where open faces were showing (especially those little stone
rubbles with 2 open sides) and even some places where players could get stuck due to hastily placed props. My biggest issue by far
with the scene however is the use of invisible barriers, which personally I found completely excessive. Invisible barriers should only
ever be the failsafe for a visible barrier - changing the shape of the borders arbitrarily and preventing players from taking
paths that appear passable only reduces player agency and causes frustration. AKA let me jump off that gorgeous overhang!
Code:
Visuals: 10
Innovativeness: 8
Gameplay: 6

Andzi Proxy - Virelvild
Comments said:
Virelvild - a perfectly serene fishing village, surrounded by forest. This scene I think is deceptively simple.
Even though it lacks any big flashy elements, I like the somewhat spirical layout, and the detail in the village feels very
real and full of life. I do think the graveyard didn't need so much space - it's almost a third of the central village, and
although the graves are placed nicely and dressed up a bit, it still seems like a big dead zone (gettit) compared to the otherwise
vivid scene (and would they really bury their dead 10 feet from both their homes and water supply? :razz:)
This scene was I think one of the best for fighting scenarios (like our multiplayer test.) The village makes smart use of its
natural defenses, and despite the admittedly 2-dimensional layout of the overall scene, it still manages to bring a lot of
interest through the tight design. It feels very polished overall.
Code:
Visuals: 8
Innovativeness: 7
Gameplay: 9

Gokiller - Farvale
Comments said:
Farvale truly feels like a peaceful village. This scene feels like something from an RPG, with ten fleshed out
characters that can always be found at their reliable village hangout. The way the different building types are used together is
fantastic. The ground is shaped from use and hugs each building and pathway, from the calm trading post by the docks to the raucous
tavern uptown. But... It's so small. Why is it so small! Many of the buildings are hanging past the edge of the scene, and
although it is efficient, I think you could have used just a little more space here. Otherwise, I think this is a beautiful scene,
and it does fit the theme, but I think it could have used a little more ambition.
Code:
Visuals: 8
Innovativeness: 6
Gameplay: 5

InVain - Wildling Village
Comments said:
A palisade surrounded village in the middle of a vast terrain. I am glad the scene kept such a large outer area - the land is
nicely shaped and it makes the village feel more authentic. Even though the scene definitely has a specific note to it, I really
appreciate the different vistas you get when you look out of all the entrances to the village. The great terrain blending and
all the details around the scene are lovely - I especially love the back gate area of the village. The apple orchard is classic
as well, but despite good use of props, I feel that InVain chose a setting that is fairly limiting: It's hard
to make a whole scene out of crude spikes and wooden props. :razz:
Code:
Visuals: 7
Innovativeness: 5
Gameplay: 9

Ettenrocal - Rupt
Comments said:
I believe Ettenrocal said this was their first ever scene - in which case I must give mad props just for completing and submitting
a scene with no prior experience. However, this scene could use a little more work. The size and scope was pretty ambitious;
it certainly feels more similar to a town than a village from its size. The main layout is there, but there are few details,
and a couple of AI mesh issues. I think Ettenrocal should have started by trying something smaller, but again, for a first time
scene this is more than acceptable.
Code:
Visuals:3
Innovativeness:3
Gameplay:3

Akathir - Hvall
Comments said:
Well, this is a surprise. Hvall is an incredibly impressive scene to look at. Stacked mines create huge towering mountains, while
a path snakes its way over rocks and rope bridges towards the top. I'm sure the waterfall will get mentioned a lot as well -
a very ingenious combination of the line marker and particle systems make a fairly convincing look, definitely better than I
would have thought you could get in Native. The way props are being used throughout the scene is really fantastic - the crowning
jewel for me being the fishing poles made out of bamboo spears+x-scaled door screens. :lol: Akathir no doubt has a great mind for
finding alternate uses for scene props, and this scene is really just full of neat little ideas. I enjoy the layout for the most part,
though I think more could have been done to increase interconnectivity of the scene, instead of a linear route with some dead branches.
Code:
Visuals: 10
Innovativeness: 10
Gameplay: 8

Efe Karacar - Forest Village
Comments said:
This scene retains a lof of the Native feel - it almost reminds me of multiplayer maps like FbtR (in a good way.)
The scene is a good size, well polished and with a solid design. Unfortunately, I hadn't previously downloaded this one
so my only experience was from the playtest - where I got stuck inside a building interior. :razz: I'm not sure what happened there,
the interior could have been cool but I am guessing it didn't work as planned. Otherwise, while a nice scene, I couldn't find
any specific aspect that really stuck out to me.
Code:
Visuals: 7
Innovativeness: 6
Gameplay: 7

I really enjoyed seeing the submissions and playing on them during the event. The quality of submissions was really amazing so well done everyone and well done to the winners of the contest! I am looking forward to the next contest!

Hello everyone!

You can find the complete pack of scenes by clicking on the link below, download it and use it within your mods as described in the contest rules!

Thank you again to everyone that participated in the contest and everyone that helped in organising it one way or another. We're looking forward to the next one!

Pack download

Back
Top Bottom