TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest [September 2018][Scening]

Users who are viewing this thread

Dejan

Community Manager
The TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest - September 2018

Theme: Singleplayer Villages

Greetings everyone!

We have completed the cycle of the first 4 contests - scening, 3D Art, scripting and art. Some contests have been more popular than others but we're really happy that you, the modding community, decided to participate in the contests and by that supported them and the culture of the open-source resources. We're also very positive about the future of the contests and are at all times looking into improving them. If you have any ideas on how to improve the contests or if you would like us to introduce new modding contests such as animations,... let us know down below!

We have decided to standardize the contest submission start/end dates which is why we will from now on organize contests monthly with submission start date being the first day of the month and submission end date the last day of the month.

And finally, this month's contest! Scening is back on the menu with the theme: Singleplayer Villages. We are excited to see what scenes our modding community will come up with so don't hesitate and join the contest!​

[size=18pt]Contest

Theme: Singleplayer Villages
Module: Native
Submission Start Date: September 1st 2018 00:00   
Submission End Date: September 30th 2018 23:59

Rules:
  • You may only submit your work during the submission time period specified above.
  • Submissions must include the AI mesh.
  • Authors must place the necessary village entry points for the scene to work in Singleplayer. You can find the entry point info here.
  • Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another scene or scene theft is allowed.
  • You may submit only one work to the contest.
  • You are allowed to post screenshots of your work using client-side mods for Native or visual enhancements, but keep in mind that the scenes will be reviewed on a clean copy of Native, and some of your props and settings may not work as intended if you use third-party add-ons during creation.
  • By submitting your work to the contest, you agree that it will be shared as open source with all the submissions at the end of the contest, according to the open source license provided here.

By submitting your work to the contest, you have agreed to the rules stated.

Judging

The submissions will be rated on a points system, based on their performance in the following categories: Visuals, Gameplay, Innovativeness, Performance. Once the submission end date is reached and the submissions are closed, the judges and selected testers will review the scenes on a server. Each of the three judges will submit up to 10 points for each category, which means the maximum amount of points a scene can get is 120.

Further explanation of the categories:

Visuals - How well the different scene features fit into each other, the composition of props, quality of ground texture and painting work, terrain realism, details and touches.
Gameplay - How well the scene plays out in a fighting scenario of 40+ people, and the suitability of NPC locations and entry points.
Innovativeness - The use of new and fresh concepts while designing the look, gameplay, and setting of the scene.
Performance - The performance and optimization of a scene. We have decided to make this category objective and judge the performance based on the size of the scene (you can gain the maximum 10 points if your scene is <=300kb, 9 points if <=400kb, 8 points if <=500kb,...).

The Judging Committee:

Rewards

- Medals to showcase your achievement across the forums (by Efe Karacar)
- Eternal place in the TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest Hall of Fame
- USD $80 prize pool donated by khamukkamu

Submitting Your Work
You can use the below form to submit your scene. If you make any edits or changes after your first submission, it'll be accepted if it is re-submitted within the submission deadline. Name your scene as you see fit, and please try to use a stable file hosting service (Google Drive, Mediafire, Dropbox, Mega.nz,...).

Code:
[b]Forum username:[/b]
[b]Scene name: [/b]
[b]Scene download link:[/b] 
[b]Terrain code:[/b] 

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Forum username: BNS Marko
Scene name: Misty Plain
Scene download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kfoj0zlc6v2fb00/scn_multi_scene_19.sco
Terrain code:
scn_multi_scene_19 multi_scene_19 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b
outer_terrain_plain

InVain said:
I hate that file size restriction!  :lol:

I might actually give this a go. Are WIP screenshots still required?

There's no hard limit on the file size, but as you can see we have to somehow incentivize smart space usage. We might lift up the limit a bit considering the AI Mesh will take up a lot of space. We can see once we get an idea of what file size everyone averages.

As for WIP screenshots, it isn't specified in the rules anymore since we removed it here.

Alphα said:
InVain said:
I hate that file size restriction!  :lol:

I might actually give this a go. Are WIP screenshots still required?

Different question  :mrgreen:
Could we submit screenshots in the final submission ?
WIP screenshots are not required for the submission to be accepted(read what I wrote to InVain), but you are more than free to post screenshots whenever you like(now, at the final submission, after final) - it'll make the thread look prettier :smile:

Also keep in mind this reminder written in the OP:
You are allowed to post screenshots of your work using client-side mods for Native or visual enhancements, but keep in mind that the scenes will be reviewed on a clean copy of Native, and some of your props and settings may not work as intended if you use third-party add-ons during creation.

Happy scening everyone! I can't wait for some crazy village concepts.

I should probably do some kind of internal discussion-y thing but what the hell:
I think file size restrictions should be removed, only for the reason that it's unclear to most sceners what drives up file size the most and how to optimise the scene before and during scenemaking. This could be an issue since IIRC any changes to terrain height get saved to the .sco file, so we might be disincentivising (is that a word???) submissions from sculpting the landscape instead of just rerolling the terrain generator until it's "just ok". I'd rather do a negative points system for like, ridiculous sizes. -1 for every 100kb over 1000, or something. It's just too hard to equate .sco file size to any tangible quality in-game.

Just my opinion! Happy to be sitting at the judges' table again.  :smile:

Dj_FRedy said:
What a great initiative. Alpha, do you participate? I have seen that you are quite creative. Good luck to the participants.  :party:

Why not this time if I have a proper idea :wink:

Edit: small question. Do you guys need the AI path?

Performance Category Update

Ruthven said:
I should probably do some kind of internal discussion-y thing but what the hell:
I think file size restrictions should be removed, only for the reason that it's unclear to most sceners what drives up file size the most and how to optimise the scene before and during scenemaking. This could be an issue since IIRC any changes to terrain height get saved to the .sco file, so we might be disincentivising (is that a word???) submissions from sculpting the landscape instead of just rerolling the terrain generator until it's "just ok". I'd rather do a negative points system for like, ridiculous sizes. -1 for every 100kb over 1000, or something. It's just too hard to equate .sco file size to any tangible quality in-game.

Just my opinion! Happy to be sitting at the judges' table again.  :smile:

Thanks for the feedback! We must admit we haven't checked the native village scene sizes.

After looking at the sizes of the native village scenes we have decided to re-do the size penalties to the following:

Performance - The performance and optimization of a scene. We have decided to make this category objective and judge the performance based on the size of the scene (you can gain the maximum 10 points if your scene is <=300kb, 9 points if <=400kb, 8 points if <=500kb,...).

Previous penalties were clearly too harsh and were introducing a boundary that would just limit the possibilities and imagination of the scene makers.
80b32a25aae18e205320c4f0431df076.png

AI Mesh Required

Alphα said:
Why not this time if I have a proper idea :wink:

Edit: small question. Do you guys need the AI path?

The submission must include the AI mesh indeed. Added to the rules of the contest.

Rewards Update

A USD 50$ prize pool has also been donated by khamukkamu. A very generous donation and a testament to our modding community! Thank you for donating again!

(Yet another) Rules Update

• Added the rule that all submissions require the author to place the village entry points and the necessary reference to village entry points. The reasoning behind this addition is that the scenes are made specifically for Singleplayer and should be ready for plug-and-play by mod authors or players once packed.
  • Therefore, the Gameplay rating category has been reworded from How well the scene plays out in a fighting scenario of 40+ people to How well the scene plays out in a fighting scenario of 40+ people, and the suitability of NPC locations and entry points.

Forum username: Alphα
Scene name: Verdentil
Scene download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxzbshqjknte6ku/scn_alpha_native_Verdentil.zip?dl=0  (terrain code included)
Terrain code:
Code:
scn_alpha_native_Verdentil scn_alpha_native_Verdentil 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000000300516158004790e000072070000278800001e71 
 outer_terrain_plain

Work hours: ~15-20h

Verdentil V1.0
It might have some minor corrections during the next weeks. The overhaul is done tho.

Scene theme & objective:
The main goal was to achieve a village which could be seen as more realistic as possible. Increasing the number of details especially the flora.
Verentil is a wide and rich village.

EDIT: I will probably make a multiplayer version of the scene too.

F5E00767718C427905E63F54BFE50432B11F383C
9D13499DA6915A850785916B934C853CE433F789
981651BEB12C4F0F151281577B1EDB12FE01DDF7
61C220276754CFEB6D6221A41EC07A7A361986C1
6B9EDB3633010BDF41444F9B735ACD6D3053CEC5
5BBE35B0738EE9D238AD98FF41BE8CA006F604E6
A93D392605F8B2B2FB273E74AACD7D3E1DF3C936
5F6E801BAAAE8169D4C7A9B3A8CF4F7677CEB5AC
A3513CD3D10DCEB44FFE062FE8DBFB6739AC41A8
19C79731DF00C9E0D2856E7CAE48AEA7855211D9
----------------------------------------
162F8D1599B264262477A9C31D935ABE1C4B9A56
1AE8796845BEDFC6FA8C594C98FDF25CAE4DC5A6

I will participate to this contest to push me to make my first complete scene :mrgreen:, i'm a total noob :iamamoron:

I want to make a village that is actually a real village with more houses than usual, a chapel, a mill, a farm, a wheat silo, a blackmsith and maybe other things.

WIP
C56C8C5C984E6AAB8A04866C1DBF1C197E863563

Ettenrocal said:
I will participate to this contest to push me to make my first complete scene :mrgreen:, i'm a total noob :iamamoron:

I want to make a village that is actually a real village with more houses than usual, a chapel, a mill, a farm, a wheat silo, a blackmsith and maybe other things.

WIP

Actually it looks like a town.

Ettenrocal said:

WIP

Good luck mate!
Dont forget that a good medieval village is something irregular and  a bit messy ?

Dont forget to point me out for any questions,

Cheers

Forum username: Andzi Proxy
Scene name: Virelvild
Scene download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13-it9c2rhOOjHSHAtHpxbdZQG58YNHeg/view?usp=sharing
Terrain code: 0x00000000b00037630002308c00000c9400005d4c00000f3a

outer_terrain_plain
Everything is ready you can just place it into ur mod

https://imgur.com/a/ouOyGA6

Thank you very much for the support and advices Alpha, i'll try do what i can :mrgreen: Village of Mount&Blade are not exactly like in reality, our vision is a little bit distorded, but mine probably a little bit too straight for now.

Nice barbecue in the forest !

Back
Top Bottom