TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest[May 2018][3D Art]

Users who are viewing this thread

Marko͘

Section Moderator
The TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest - May 2018.

Theme: Calradian Royal Arms

Welcome to the second edition of the TaleWorlds forum modding contest. This time around we're challenging our resident 3D Artists to show off their creativity and skill. The format of the contests is still being worked and improved on, you're welcome to voice your feedback in the thread. We're still experimenting with what works well for 3D Art themes that can fit into a month, but also provides a challenge and allows originality.

To kick off the first contest we'll start with arms and weaponry. The theme is Calradian Royal Arms - designing special, unique weapons for the Calradian kings and royalty. We're looking for weapons of various types(or your own new fusion of several types!) for the contest - spears, swords, axes, maces, shields, bows, crossbows, poleaxes, or unicorn wands worthy of kings. Hybrid weapons are more than welcome, too.

[size=18pt]Contest

Theme: Calradian Royal Arms
Submission Start Date: May 1st 2018. 00:00     
Submission End Date: May 31st 2018. 23:59

Rules:
  • You may only submit your work during the submission time period specified above.
  • Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another asset or asset theft is allowed.
  • You may submit up to three works for the contest, they'll be treated as separate submissions.
  • Your assets have to be Warband compatible and implementable. The required texture maps are diffuse, specular, and normal. Unless you specify otherwise, we'll use the specular_shader_noskin_bump_high shader for in game implementation.
  • The texture resolutions must be square, and a power of 2 - e.g. 512x512, 1024x1024.
  • The mesh must be provided in a .obj format, with the faces triangulated.
  • You are required to make the scabbard/quiver if you are making one of the following: javelin, one handed sword, arrow. It'll count towards the polygon limit of 1500. These are simpler shapes than other item types, and the quiver/scabbard is essential on them.
  • You have to post screenshots of your work in progress in at least two different stages of completion, to confirm it is your creation. You are free to post more.
  • By submitting your work to the contest, you agree that it will be shared as open source with all the submissions at the end of the contest, according to the open source license provided here.

By submitting your work to the contest, you have agreed to the rules stated.

You're also free to upload your work on Sketchfab or similar preview sites, if you wish to do so.

Judging

The submissions will be rated on a points system, based on their performance in the following three categories: Visuals, Originality, Performance and Technique. Once the submission end date is reached and the submissions are closed, the judges and selected testers will review the submissions. Each of the three judges will submit up to 10 points for each category, which means the maximum amount of points a submission can get is 90. You'll be awarded an extra 6 points if the submission contains three levels of LODs(either custom or openBrf generated, as long as they work visually and functionally in-game).The submissions will be reviewed exclusively based on their properties in-game. Read the note in the 'Submitting Your Work' section for more info.

Further explanation on the categories:

Visuals - The visual appeal of a submission, how well the different shapes and features fit into the overall look, and theme of the contest. Enhancing your weapons with scripts or particles for in game effects is allowed, but it won't affect your score.
Originality - The use of new and original concepts while designing your submission. Weapons entirely copied from existing references will be given less points, and generic weapons(e.g. XIIc swords) will be given substantially less points. Be creative!
Performance - The performance and optimization of a submission. Submissions with excessive poly counts will be given less points. An acceptable weapon polygon(triangular) count in Warband is up to 1500. Texture sheet size will also be rated in this category(e.g. don't make a 4096x4096 sheet for a sword).

The Judging Committee is comprised of three veteran artists - Sacred Stone Head, Jacobhinds, and Artizan.

Rewards
USD $50 Prize Pool - Provided by Khamukkamu.
Custom crafted medals by Efe Karacar

- Further rewards in form of software licenses are possible, we are looking into establishing cooperations for future contests - once the format of the contests is tested and proven.

Submitting Your Work
You can use the below form to submit your work. If you make any edits or changes after your first submission, it'll be accepted if it is re-submitted within the submission deadline. Name your submission as you see fit, and please try to use a stable file hosting service(Google Disk, Mediafire, Dropbox etc.). Compress your mesh, and the textures into an archived file and upload.

Note: The submissions will be rated and judges exclusively based on their in-game properties. The organizers will implement the submissions in game as per the rules specified in the rules section. You are not required to use openBrf to send or configure your files. However, you may want to use openBrf and implement your work in-game to see how the final result will look like before you submit your work. If you do not know how to do this, you can follow this or any other tutorial in the tutorial section, if you have any questions you can post them here, on the Discord or PM the organizers.

Code:
[b]Forum username:[/b]
[b]Submission name: [/b]
[b]Download link:[/b] 

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Forum username: BNS Marko
Submission name: Golden Harlaus Spearaxe
Submission download link:

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Contact and Discussion
We encourage the discussion of the contest rules, format as well as discussion of the works presented on the forums. You can also participate in the TaleWorlds Forum Modding Discord if you want a more direct interaction.​

I am assuming that the look/feel/design of said arms should match the culture and personality of Lord the arms are owned by?

This is awesome! Good luck everyone!

The rules, and other parts of the thread have been reworked and updated thanks to a very good discussion on the Discord. Big thanks to Brego, Maroon, Exima, Sebastian and Beestonian for the discussion and solutions.

The biggest changes(re-read the post for exact rules and info):
  • Normal, specular, and diffuse maps will be required. Submissions will be rated based on in-game look and performance only.
  • 1h swords, arrows and javelin submissions require a scabbard/quiver that is included in the 1500 polygon limit.
  • LODs will provide extra points.

Rewards Update

I'm excited to announce that Khamukkamu has put forward $50 towards the prize pool of this contest! The contest in its foundation is here to improve the community spirit, present people with a platform to showcase work, and generate OSP content for the whole community. This symbolic, and generous gesture from Khamu will provide further initiative to those who want to participate. The full ratio/split of the current prize pool will be updated once the administration reaches a decision. Hopefully as the contests grow, we will be able to provide better, and bigger rewards.

Hullo, I thought I'd just pop in for a quick second to caution against making any unique arrows, bolts or throwing weapons that uses new textures.
Because as it stands, warband can still not handle weapons embedded into shields having more than one material, meaning if multiple missiles with different materials are shot into a shield, the first material will be assigned to all of them.

9CKhG.jpg

Thanks for the info fredelios, gotta say I haven't noticed that before.

Rewards Update

Cozur has also decided to contribute $50 for the prize pool! Hooray!

The full ratio/split of the current prize pool will be updated once the administration reaches a decision. If there are any more people interested to pitch in, I can only suggest to perhaps decide to pitch in for the next contest. I cannot of course tell you what to do with your money, but I feel like having smaller rewards consistent on mulitple contests would be better for the present state of the modding community. Once again, I will be actively working on trying to get some software/other rewards once the format for each contest category is established.

Nobody's posting so I will.

I sketched a bit on paper and then digitised it, making some changes later on.

ksppzfT.jpg

DO3liIp.jpg

A few renders so far just to see what colours I want to use and the overall feel.

WVP23XN.png

j9LZTVM.png

eI5pcSz.png

zPsAm71.png

Cruor_Volt said:
Nobody's posting so I will.

I sketched a bit on paper and then digitised it, making some changes later on.

ksppzfT.jpg

DO3liIp.jpg

A few renders so far just to see what colours I want to use and the overall feel.

WVP23XN.png

j9LZTVM.png

eI5pcSz.png

zPsAm71.png

Not posting yet just cause I'm having issues with my normal & AO maps baking from the high poly mesh. Even though AO map won't be needed it's still causing problems and that's no good sign. ^^

Interesting concept there. :smile:

Got told to post some WIP pics here, so feast your eyes on an unfinished product:

Axe unrefined without texture:
irMT9Qo.png

Axe with template texture and a bent on the handle:
E3kTZ2v.png

Current status, working on engravings for the high-poly version:
20Wixdt.png

Just a lil update on the reward for everyone participating or considering to participate - If the current prize pool remains as it is, it will be distributed 60-30-10 going from first to third place.

Duh said:
Just a lil update on the reward for everyone participating or considering to participate - If the current prize pool remains as it is, it will be distributed 60-30-10 going from first to third place.

Sounds exciting!

Here's my most recent progress:

The materials will have to be modified quite a bit to work with Warband, but I'll work on that at the end.

^ I really like that sword, lots of detail put into it.  Did you sculpt the engravings and then bake maps from that? Also I like to make everything "warband compatible" at the end as well, I think that's the best way. :smile:

WIP screenies of my second model, textures are placeholders:

4f5e21df30.png

c1986af6b7.png

Since I'm seeing this in more than one model, I'm going to give a reminder for the participants to pay attention to the silhouette: save polygons and use more loops in curved areas to minimize the stepping.

Back
Top Bottom