TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest[April 2018][Scening]

Users who are viewing this thread

Marko͘

Section Moderator
The TaleWorlds Forum Modding Contest - April 2018.

Theme: Multiplayer Siege Scenes

Greetings everyone, and welcome to the first edition of the TaleWorlds forum modding contest. Before delving into the details of this contest, let me say a few words on the concept of these contests. The main idea is to make regular(monthly) contests/competitions covering different aspects of modding - Scening, 3D Art, Scripting, 2D Art, and allow creators to showcase their work, engage and participate in discussions, as well as earn rewards and recognition. This(first) edition is experimental, and feedback will allow us to tailor the format of the contests in the best way possible. The goal is to incentivize modders to share their knowledge and expertise participating in these contests, to encourage self-improvement, open source culture and increase the availability of different assets, and of course a whole lot of good fun. Each month the contest will focus on a different aspect of modding mentioned above, and we'll pick interesting and popular themes. Additionally, as you will see in the rules below, all contributions towards the contests will be wrapped up as open source packs provided by the community.​

Note: As already mentioned, this is the first contest, and we're still setting up the best format. If you have any suggestions, ideas, or other feedback regarding this but also the upcoming contests please do post it in the thread. We'd most importantly like to hear feedback on time allowed for submissions(16 days in this instance, but will be around 20 days for the upcoming contests), rules and judging.

[size=18pt]Contest

Theme: Multiplayer Siege Scenes
Module: Native
Submission Start Date: April 9th 2018. 00:00     
Submission End Date: April 29th 2018. 23:59 BST

Rules:
  • You may only submit your work during the submission time period specified above.
  • Submit only your original work, no derivatives of another scene or scene theft is allowed.
  • You may submit only one work to the contest.
  • You are allowed to post screenshots of your work using client side mods for Native or visual enhancements, but keep in mind that the scenes will be reviewed on a clean copy of Native, and some of your props and settings may not work as intended if you use third party addons during creation.
  • By submitting your work to the contest, you agree that it will be shared as open source with all the submissions at the end of the contest, according to the open source license provided here.

By submitting your work to the contest, you have agreed to the rules stated.

Judging

The submissions will be rated on a points system, based on their performance in the following categories: Visuals, Gameplay, Innovativeness, Performance. Once the submission end date is reached and the submissions are closed, the judges and selected testers will review the scenes on a server. Each of the four judges will submit up to 10 points for each category, which means the maximum amount of points a scene can get is 160.

Further explanation on the categories:

Visuals - How well the different scene features fit into each other, the composition of props, quality of ground texture and painting work, terrain realism, details and touches.
Gameplay - How well the scene plays out in a Siege scenario of 40+ people.
Innovativeness - The use of new and fresh concepts while designing the look, gameplay, and setting of the scene.
Performance - The performance and optimization of a scene. Scenes smaller in file size are necessary for good performance in a live gameplay environment, and the download of the scenes from the server.

The Judging Committee is comprised of the two renowned sceners Gokiller and Ruthven, Veni Vidi Vici who is a long time administrator of the GK Siege servers, and myself:

Rewards
Custom crafted medals by Efe Karacar

- Further rewards are possible, we are looking into establishing cooperations for future contests - once the format of the contests is tested and proven.

Submitting Your Work
You can use the below form to submit your scene. If you make any edits or changes after your first submission, it'll be accepted if it is re-submitted within the submission deadline. Name your scene as you see fit, and please try to use a stable file hosting service(Google Disk, Mediafire, Dropbox etc.)

Code:
[b]Forum username:[/b]
[b]Scene name: [/b]
[b]Scene download link:[/b] 
[b]Terrain code:[/b] 

By submitting this work I agree to the rules and regulations of this contest.

Forum username: BNS Marko
Scene name: Misty Plain
Scene download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kfoj0zlc6v2fb00/scn_multi_scene_19.sco
Terrain code:
scn_multi_scene_19 multi_scene_19 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b
outer_terrain_plain

Contact and Discussion
We encourage the discussion of the contest rules, format as well as discussion of the works presented on the forums. You can also participate in the TaleWorlds Forum Modding Discord if you want a more direct interaction.

Bribe the judges/moderation team or join the modding discord group (if you haven't already) and check the announcements  :smile:. Do we get a participation badge for losing a certain number of contests? I need something to aim for...

MitchellD said:
This is an awesome idea! I'll be waiting for the scripting contest, how can I best ensure that I find out as soon as it starts?

The schedule is(most likely) that May's contest will be in 3D Art, and then June would be scripting. However, a number of things are still not laid out for the scripting contest, which is why these first two will provide us valuable feedback to organize the scripting one.

The biggest problems with the scripting contest would be the 'theme' and complexity of the theme. Setting a theme would mean most of the submissions would do more or less the same thing, but that's not really the point if we want to gain some nice open source scripts. Of course, the theme can be more broad. But if we don't have a very tight theme, it becomes harder to objectively rate submissions. The second issue is making the scripting contest available to a wide spectrum of scripters(MP/SP), as well as on more skill levels.

Seek n Destroy said:
Bribe the judges/moderation team or join the modding discord group (if you haven't already) and check the announcements  :smile:. Do we get a participation badge for losing a certain number of contests? I need something to aim for...
As Seek said, joining the Discord is a good idea, it's good fun.

About the badges, I'll leave it up to Efe to showcase them when he's ready...maybe he makes one for participation too  :razz:

Yeah, that's the issue. I am not qualified enough to answer that question adequately, nor to judge the scripting contest, so I am hoping we'll get some discussion about that going on here.

Edit: By skill levels I do not intend to divide anyone on any 'skill', I was implying that the task set should not be something only a fistful of coders here could do, yet it has to be engaging enough to justify 2-3 weeks of submission time and a contest. That's all.

Some possible ways to evaluate scripts would be

- length of script
- effiency/performance of script (f.e. a loop within a loop within a loop should be avoided if possible)
- capability of script/kit (what does it do? is it innovative? is it useful? is it bugfree?)
- user friendliness (good documentation, clear structure+variables etc., sensible UI (if applicable) + gameplay)

It is unlikely that all of the above would be weighed the same (0-10), though the details of that are yet to be determined.

Do I submit directly to this thread using the provided formatting? Or do I submit elsewhere? Not that I'm ready to submit yet. Also should I link the pictures in the google drive folder that I have the scn file in?

BingRazer said:
Do I submit directly to this thread using the provided formatting? Or do I submit elsewhere? Not that I'm ready to submit yet. Also should I link the pictures in the google drive folder that I have the scn file in?

Yes, you can submit directly to this thread.

About the screenshots, I've decided to remove that rule for this iteration of the contest, since we're allowing users to submit previously made scenes if they are unreleased. You can still post screenshots though if you want to.

A very early preview pic, a sneak peek, a taste of things to come, an unrefined gem, a teaser:
XrlfbYf.jpg

Andzi Proxy
The Pyke
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Py-dj0wuxqDkw_He0McgEousLbrZN8gh?usp=sharing

scn_multi_scene_15 multi_scene_15 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300005000008c62d0000478500001a44000023cf
outer_terrain_beach

There are 2 Wip screens in the folder.

Since there are now at least 4 submissions that I know of, the submission end date is extended to April 29th, 23:59 BST.

The weekend after will be the testing and judge review.

Furthermore, we're cooperating with the M&B subreddit to include the best few selections on their Calradic Campaign event, provided the scenes can fit enough people.

Forum username: Suspicious_Man
Scene name: Kalkan Castle
Scene download link: https://mega.nz/#!ORt1QJ4L!kxeYeBTIZfbcXwA0JxChdvS2dDl9Z3vkNRVlC4o8a4I
Terrain code:

scn_multi_Kalkan_Castle multi_Kalkan_Castle 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000000a00009830005b16d00000cbb000078b7000055c6
outer_terrain_steppe

Here's a link to an album where I make the scene and some finished product screenshots as well:
https://imgur.com/a/U05bM82

Enjoy!

Forum username: Swampy Castle
Scene name: Swampy Castle
Scene download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tAw4qz3dUi6AYUVw6Qn2dXiTZkcNgKDd
Terrain code:
scn_multi_swampy_castle multi_swampy_castle 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001b00389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b
outer_terrain_plain

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/gP5y08g foggy is the ideal, but that's a mission script or something.

Forum username: BingRazer
Scene name: Snow castle 1
Scene download link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19cQY2lseq88lqFiUXru4FRlleyVhjBIR?usp=sharing
Terrain code: 0x0000000040058e8c0004c131000031690000587c00001e08
Terrain outer: snow

BingRazer said:
Scene download link:

You forgot a tiny detail there :razz:

KickingJoub said:
BingRazer said:
Scene download link:

You forgot a tiny detail there :razz:

Lol, thanks. Fixing that now. I had this pre-typed and just copy/pasted. Neglected to add :razz:

Since there are only 4 sumbmissions, and I would hate to see your work wasted over such a small thing we'll take it in. I doubt that 3hr extension endangers anyone, anyway. Thanks for taking out time to participate :smile:

Well that's it then - submissions closed.

Now what?

Next the scenes will be put up on a Native test server, and we'll organize an hour of playing these four siege scenes for everyone who wants to come and help test. The exact date and time will be announced within a few days, though it'll most likely be the following weekend.

After the test, the judges will review the submissions and we'll announce the results.

Huge thanks to everyone who submitted, the next scening contest by this format should be in August - hopefully we'll have more submissions. We'll make some changes to the format, and the rules with the feedback we've got so far. The next contest, in a different category, will go live within a few days.

Back
Top Bottom