Taleworlders' Top Tips and Wonderful Words of Wisdom

Users who are viewing this thread

(Alliteration included as standard)

So it occurred to me that we have a lot of intelligent and learned people on this forum, many of whom have expertise in a wide range of different areas, but we don't always take advantage of this fact. Therefore, I thought it might be interesting to, once a month, post a tip/factoid/pieces of advice about life in general or your area of knowledge which others might find interesting or insightful. This could be anything from how to write a great essay for school, to how to cook a great piece of chicken without giving everyone food-poisoning, to how to bump-start a car down a hill.

There is only one rule: Only one tip per person, per month. So choose wisely.

I will kick it off thusly:

Always try to be aware of your posture. This is particularly relevant as there are a large number of computer nerds here, and the problem of kyphosis (the typical 'hunched old lady' posture) is one which affects many office-workers, or people who spend a lot of time looking down/hunched over laptops, mobile phones, etc. Good posture can save you a lifetime of unnecessary pain and will improve your overall muscle tone and appearance.

If a stranger, especially a transient, wants to shake your hand, talk it out, or any other friendly gesture when he or she was otherwise being non-compliant; don't go along with it.

Telling a Lie is a terrible idea,Believe me if you tell a lie now,in a couple of weeks you will completely forget it and when asked a question about what you lied about you would have completely forgotten it.

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain

Father Jack said:
Telling a Lie is a terrible idea,Believe me if you tell a lie now,in a couple of weeks you will completely forget it and when asked a question about what you lied about you would have completely forgotten it.

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain

That's why humanity has been blessed with a memory better than that of a goldfish. Well, most people anyway. And besides, the truth ain't static. Today's lie may very well become tomorrow's truth

This piece of advice was given to be by my mother when I was six years old.

"I will always love you no matter what, but please don't grow up to be an axe murderer."

I imagine I'll tell my children something similar.

kurczak said:
The strong do not, cannot and should not respect the weak.

I really don't get this. I mean, it's very subjective and out of context like this, quite arbitrary. How do you define strong and weak?

Is it physical strength? If so, does that mean somebody who can bench 200kg shouldn't respect someone who's been paralysed from birth?

Are we talking about mental strength? Is the soldier who doesn't suffer from PTSD superior in some way to the one who does?

Or are we talking about strength of personality and conviction? There are many people in the world who have changed hearts and minds -- not always for the better.

TLDR: Further elaboration required.

Physical weakness or inability is nothing to be ashamed of, never feel down about what you can not do. Life goes on wether you pity yourself or not, so it's best to just move forwards as well.

Back
Top Bottom