Taking Pot Shots

Users who are viewing this thread

Elmetiacos

Knight
Do you take one or two nearly impossible shots at enemies who are just dots in the distance in the hope of improving your archery skill and the kudos of getting a difficulty 15 shot, or do you prefer to save all your ammunition for when you can make it count? I'm in two minds about this...

Elmetiacos said:
Do you take one or two nearly impossible shots at enemies who are just dots in the distance in the hope of improving your archery skill and the kudos of getting a difficulty 15 shot, or do you prefer to save all your ammunition for when you can make it count? I'm in two minds about this...

I've done this quite often. I think best difficulty possible is 14.4. And if you get good at it, you never miss.

I always try to snipe at a distance.  Strangely, I find it easier without the zoom . . . especially when I play long enough to become proficient at it as a player.  Then I just aim and use my gut instinct to release.  Way back when used to get 12+ difficulty every shot.

It is my dream to have enough archers to take pot shots like that, that they arent pot shots anymore... Man i wish i could make it properly rain arrows.

Pity the maps arent exactly big enough for it... (anywhere i can find a 20 thousand man castle siege? )

Someone should try to shoot randomly in the air and see if it hits someone. I did it and sadly it knocked Borcha unconscious. What are the odds of that happening?

All the time. Now that we can pick up arrows off the battlefield, I don't really worry so much about running out of ammunition. Plus the other archers in my party actually shoot back, so I don't have to do ALL the ranged killing myself. Just one bow in the storm.

Lancefighter said:
Pity the maps arent exactly big enough for it... (anywhere i can find a 20 thousand man castle siege? )

Hot gates. The lords attacking there bring a lot of archers, but they never seem to get any kills with them for some reason...

Momaw said:
All the time. Now that we can pick up arrows off the battlefield, I don't really worry so much about running out of ammunition. Plus the other archers in my party actually shoot back, so I don't have to do ALL the ranged killing myself. Just one bow in the storm.
WTF nobody told me we could pick up.
This post probably made me the most annoying person ever.

er... Yeah? You can pick up packs of arrows sometimes from dead archers. You can't pick up individual arrows, but if you kill an archer (or they kill one of yours), check the body. If you see "Arrows (pick up)", press your Use key and you'll grab them.  It's easier to see fallen equipment once the corpses disappear.

Once, when I was fighting some looters, I popped a shot out into the sky at random and I got a headshot. Only happened once though.

I don't just shoot at random, but I've gotten pretty decent at judging range and how far up in the air I need to fire. I might take a shot or two to get the exact angle right, but after that I can put arrow after arrow into an enemy formation from quite a ways away.

It's especially satisfying to kill mounted units charging at you from across the field. One time I was on a roll and managed to kill 9 of 12 mounted guys before they even reached me, and got the 10th right as he got up to me. My Nord foot units mobbed the last two. That put down the Swadian cavalry charge pretty quick :smile:

As far as shot difficulty, I turned that off - just needless clutter in my message log.

Elmetiacos said:

I have backup quivers in my baggage so yes, I always shoot some arrows in the general direction of the approaching enemy, earned me some 14.4 shots and I usually manage to take out some guys before the real battle starts :smile:

I don't shoot unless I can aim. I fire on the charge and at groups, otherwise I can't get a good shot lined up in combat, and prefer taking heads with my axe.

bob505 said:
Someone should try to shoot randomly in the air and see if it hits someone. I did it and sadly it knocked Borcha unconscious. What are the odds of that happening?

Riding at full speed on the other side of the map, shot an arrow up in the sky in the general direction of an enemy band, hit someone in the head with 17.6 difficulty in TLDs mod ways back ;=)

I usually start shooting enemy at the 16 difficulty range, with my current character's archery 400 and the best bow ingame it's not that hard. Usually 1 hit kill no matter where I hit, 2 hits max needed.

When skill is still low I prefer to shoot at short range to preserve ammo.

I did that once against a mob of... Swadian militia if I'm not mistaken. The terrain was hilly and they were on a hill while as a horse archer, I led my men over another hill around two hundred meters away from it. Took a pot shot into the air at full gallop knowing that it'd curve down and hit something into the mass of soldiers. Suddenly:

Head Shot!
Difficulty: 15.(something)
Damage (I forgot)
Swadian Militia was killed by Guo Jing

I wished I took a screenie of that. I love my character. I can ride full gallop, pursue an enemy rider who in turn is pursued by two of my riders, aim at the enemy rider who is flanked by my two men, aim carefully, release and *THUNK!* 4.6 difficulty head shot, the now dead enemy rider falls off his horse and my two riders split off to pursue other enemies.

Pure adrenaline rush.

Shire said:
bob505 said:

Riding at full speed on the other side of the map, shot an arrow up in the sky in the general direction of an enemy band, hit someone in the head with 17.6 difficulty in TLDs mod ways back ;=)

I usually start shooting enemy at the 16 difficulty range, with my current character's archery 400 and the best bow ingame it's not that hard. Usually 1 hit kill no matter where I hit, 2 hits max needed.

When skill is still low I prefer to shoot at short range to preserve ammo.

lies.

Mmm I'm pretty positive that in older versions values over 14.4 were possible, or is it just mod specific? I recall getting quite a bit of weapon skill from that best shot I've done, but it really was one of a kind.

In any case, if you hit a 12 difficulty you can imagine hitting someone further than that is higher difficulty, but as I don't have screenshots, so be it then. Let's say I start shooting at them from where they and I start, especially if we actually see each other.

Unless my skill on character is still low, as then you run short on ammo. Can't say for massive battles like 400v400 as my comp can't run that, so I run maximum native and in TLDs I had around 150 with battlesizer mod.

Sanzo84 said:
Head Shot!
Difficulty: 15.(something)
Damage (I forgot)
Swadian Militia was killed by Guo Jing
That's the good thing about long range shots: because you're shooting up in the air, a lot of them seem to be head shots.

I always take pot-shots!  Its so much fun! :grin:

The highest shot difficulty I've ever achieved though was about 10.2, this was in mountainous terrain.  It was actually a very easy shot, I was on one mountain and the enemy charging at me on another.  We were not directly very far away, however there was a deep ravine between us.  I was surprised that I got such a high shot difficulty  :shock:

This leads me to believe that the difficulty is worked out on the ground distance, rather than direct distance between player and target.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct??  :?:

Back
Top Bottom