SP - General Take my denars and forge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Inappropriate behavior
It's completely idiotic that you can't pay a smith to craft a weapon for you. Especially since this feature was implemented and working YEARS ago. Who ever made that call is ****ing stupid and deserves to lose their job. If the argument is that it diminishes the "Smithing Skill", then it's even stupider. Rather than wasting effort looking for ways to make smithing fun for the player (Which it isn't. In fact it's a mind numbing grind), why not find ways to make ambushes fun for the player. Or improve the game's immersion. Or fix the ****ing AI. Or make battles more fun. I could go on but you get my point.

TL;DR: Taleworlds, un**** yourselves and fix your goddamn game!

+1 here to. Because it makes sense. I would also like to see a rework for smithing though, probably by making access to different part a lot easier. For example, tiers could be tied to skill level - once you reach a certain skill level, you can use all parts up to a certain tier, while smelting things can teach you parts your skill level does not yet permit.

@Terco_Viejo +1
I am however against being able to find master blacksmiths that can forge you weaponry any better than average quality as this would pretty much remove any usefulness from the smithing skill outside of it being another way to make money. I think master blacksmiths instead would be able to make you weapons with parts higher than tier 3 for example, while regular blacksmiths can use tier 1-3 parts.

I don't think so.
  • The weapons/equipment you would buy are more customizable and rarer than what you find in the trading (for that they cost more money);
  • You would have the most customization out of the three options (you; the way OP proposes; normal trade), for a lower price.
  • Making money is one of the reasons that this mechanic exists (proactive income).
  • You shouldn’t be restricted in quality, if you don't want to spend points in blacksmithing.
  • If you restrict the tiers for master’s blacksmiths, there is no point in using them since you can get the same equipment by less money in normal trade.
Additional improvements should be made to blacksmithing:
Some ways to fix the "problem".

1. Smithing skill is easier to level up - Only by having ways that enables you to produce more items or of higher quality and, thus, progress and profit. Some ideas:
  • Creating new ways of making profit - Introducing quality status/names to the weapons like warband, and having you to repair or improve the low quality equipment for cash.
  • Providing some more automatization or reducing the time and effort you put in acquiring the materials to make weapons - E.g.: Spoils of war would often be of lower quality and in need of repair, so lords would often sell them for a lower price to the blacksmith or trading center.
  • Having your own workshop and workers and removing the middle man of trading - you would have your own bussiness and could sell the products directly to npc's instead of the trading man; this would work similarly to the UI you see in the trading menu, although would be nice to have it different; Prices would be lower or the same.
  • Being an apprentice - intended for low skill/early game; you could earn xp faster and unlock certain items.
  • Being a personal blacksmith of a lord - You make/repair weapons/equipment only for that lord by signing a contract - you produce your items normally but you have to produce (x) quantity and quality with specific parameters in time; You could even accompany the lord as he moves around, and even fight battles, or just stay at your workshop;
2. Only smithing skill will allow you to create legendary weapons. The ones for purchase are lordly max. - This way you are limiting the player to do blacksmithing, if he wants the best equipment.

3. Smithing skill will also boost engineering skill, and perhaps vice versa? - if so, only by a small fraction; You would need similar mechanics for other skills, imo.

4. Smithing skill will be less costly than purchasing a custom made weapon. - 100% that

Crafting is being reworked as was mentioned during Gamescom, when we'll have something to show we'll definitely let you know more details.

I can't believe.... the 2016 version was perfect!
Hope they have a "back up".
They either have all those features hidden in "back up" for the purpose of focusing on the main issues first and then start implementing them step by step or they have rewritten the code again and again, and devs have been focusing only on these basic features we currently have. But to be fair the game looks way better now.

+1 awesome input and presentation...however, I think 1 day to wait is far too short, especially for higher average tiers of weapons. Realistically 1 day would work for a simple iron weapon or tool, but a fine steel or the rare whatever steel plus the fine craftsmanship needed for a lordly 40k sword of the gods would probably take a week or even longer. Partly because the blacksmith may have other things on his plate he can't just put down or maybe they need time to find the rare steel and depending on location could cost more than others. You could really go big with this, and personal requested armor would be another idea if you can't find any on the local markets, maybe pay to 'hold' a set for you.

I really like the NPC idea. Sometimes you just need a certain type of weapons and you just can't get it anywhere. But it's not worth bloating your .sav file with thousands of "crafted 2 handed Sword/javelins" to unlock the parts and make one.

I hope they will add in future the ability to rename/name weapons after forging (not the initial naming during forging process but way later, at anypoint in the game... perhaps in the 'Smelting' interface window there could be the option to rename any singular weapon (for example, you won't know if its your favorite weapon until you test it out to see if it is well balanced according to your fighting style and combat preferences. Also names are earned.

I imagine walking into the smithy from the town scene, talking to the smith, and paying half the cost up front. Then in a week, when I pick the item up, it can either be exactly what I wanted, or not at all what I asked for. For the former, I pay the rest. For the latter, I do not. Just introducing a little bit of human error into the AI interactions may give it some personality.

Plus there is a chance that I might not even notice the imperfection and I pay the smith in full, who is now laughing because he cheaped out on a part.

I imagine walking into the smithy from the town scene, talking to the smith, and paying half the cost up front. Then in a week, when I pick the item up, it can either be exactly what I wanted, or not at all what I asked for. For the former, I pay the rest. For the latter, I do not. Just introducing a little bit of human error into the AI interactions may give it some personality.

Plus there is a chance that I might not even notice the imperfection and I pay the smith in full, who is now laughing because he cheaped out on a part.
And then you should be able to rob the blacksmith back. Kill him and plunder his shop.

+1. Being able to pay a smith to forge a custom weapon for you had me really hyped. Seeing it get locked behind a...shall we say, subpar crafting system was a disappointment. That said, I was glad when they added cheats that let you effectively bypass those restrictions. It's a decent stopgap measure.

Improve on Artisan Notables. A Smith-owning Artisan should be alble to commision weapons and armour for you. For high quality they need both be powerful and have a good relation. It should be very costly and have a cooldown(more than smithing them yourself) to create a hightier armour/weapon. They can also remove "Rusty" modifiers etc.

+1

I love the commission feature in the warband mod silverstag, you had to pay a ridiculous amount but you could order any item you want. You could even could order lordly items but they would take months to finish -- this alleviated some of the worry about missing rare spawns from vendors. It's also good to have very expensive things for players to spend their money on.

So in theory, players that had the smithing skill would save a lot of denars/time because they can simply do it themselves.

Plus, role playing reasons. Why should my lordly character have to learn to craft his own equipment when there are loads of competent blacksmiths in almost every direction he could hire and happily pay an exuberant amount to make custom equipment for him?

Back
Top Bottom