TAG, i need your help :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

I think this is the right place to post this.
I've had some strange noise with my computer air vent this week (a clattering noise like a small plastic piece was hitting the vent)the sound always there on start-up then disappear but sometime come back at random while i'm using my computer.

Some people on the internet told me its maybe a overheating problem but i don't think so since i do not have any problem with my computer except for the noise the vent make (hell i no longer have the Memory problem i had with warband).

Maybe someone in this forum can help me figure out the problem.
My computer is new and im a bit scared of opening it in case i cause more problem then fix.

I blew some air on the vent while my computer was off to see if it would help and it did after the normal start up clattering i did not hear anymore clatter but im sure it might come back.

My question is can it be a overheating problem even if i have no problem whatsoever with my comp except for the noise?

I worked hard to buy this computer and im not that rich so i do hope its not an overheating issue :sad:

Calathar said:
just replace the vent, you cannot do any harm to your pc while doing this

So you think it might be a overheating problem?
I'll try to get a new vent but if its a overheating problem why does i see no other problem beside the noise?

Also thanks for the quick reply  :grin:

rebelknight said:
My computer is new and im a bit scared of opening it in case i cause more problem then fix.
Just open the case, use the comp as usual, take a close look at the vent. There is no harm if you are just looking :razz:
Slighty paranoid measure: make sure you don't have static electricity. Unplug the comp before opening it.

Danath said:
rebelknight said:
Just open the case, use the comp as usual, take a close look at the vent. There is no harm if you are just looking :razz:
Slighty paranoid measure: make sure you don't have static electricity. Unplug the comp before opening it.

ok thanks  :grin:

also what is that static thing?

rebelknight said:
Calathar said:
just replace the vent, you cannot do any harm to your pc while doing this

So you think it might be a overheating problem?
I'll try to get a new vent but if its a overheating problem why does i see no other problem beside the noise?

Also thanks for the quick reply  :grin:
i think that vent might be broken, althou my ****ty english prevent me from being more specific... oh well, i'll try... you've  said that vent is making noises, it's probably beacause vent's dish (? not sure bout the word, that thing in vent that is responsible for spinning) is broken, that means you have to replace the vent.

I have this too. My batteries are quite old and whenever I turn on my PC, the batteries sound like there's no electricity. Shutting down and starting up gets rid of the battery noise but then the CPU starts making noises. I also used a blower(?) to blow off the dust and that got rid of the noise. It went back after a while. I think it might be dust or dirt that makes the CPU wonky.

Open up the case, look at the vent. Then turn on the PC and watch the vent. Most likely cause of clattering is something hitting the fan, usually a cable, and thus making a racket until it's finally knocked clear.
Otherwise look at the fan spin. If it's uneven and clattering then the motor is on the way out.

CPU_fan_lb.jpg

There are probably several of these inside your computer. One on the PSU (power-supply unit), one on top of the CPU (central processing unit) and there could be a small on your GPU (graphics processing unit) plus the case itself might have one or two to ensure air circulates inside properly. Do what Archonsod told you but for each one. If you can't find any proper reason, just getting dust out (very careful vacuum cleaning or blowing compressed air) can also help - clean PC is a better PC!

I had something on my last PC. My problem was that the GPU vent malfunctioned, at first it was just the noise, then it just started turning off. Took it to guarantee they changed it for a new one for free (the new one is even better).

An easy way to find out if your PC is ACTUALLY overheating is I'd recommend since it's a new computer to try and download some thermometers. I'd recommend definetly "CPUID (CPU-Z)" and "CPUID HWMoniter". Find out what the max temps are for some of the hardware in your computer, like easily for a laptop (like what I use) I compare the temp against the max temp for my processor. Which is 70 degrees Celsius.

Aurora_Alexi said:
An easy way to find out if your PC is ACTUALLY overheating is I'd recommend since it's a new computer to try and download some thermometers. I'd recommend definetly "CPUID (CPU-Z)" and "CPUID HWMoniter". Find out what the max temps are for some of the hardware in your computer, like easily for a laptop (like what I use) I compare the temp against the max temp for my processor. Which is 70 degrees Celsius.

Yes, do something like that. Let's explain things simple and safe:
- Download and install CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
- Run CoreTemp and write down what CPU you have.
- Do some Google search on the maximum allowed temperature of it.
- Keep CoreTemp running and do some stress testing. Gaming or rendering would do fine.
- If you really want to be sure, try this worst-case-scenario stress test program: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 (32bit), http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205 (64bit).
- If you want to try out prime95: Start it, select 'Just stress testing', then select the maximum heat version and accept. Leave it running for a while (half an hour will do) and keep checking CoreTemp.
- You could also use these settings: http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/59/screeniem.png. They generate even more heat on my Phenom II.

killkhergit said:
Aurora_Alexi said:

Yes, do something like that. Let's explain things simple and safe:
- Download and install CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
- Run CoreTemp and write down what CPU you have.
- Do some Google search on the maximum allowed temperature of it.
- Keep CoreTemp running and do some stress testing. Gaming or rendering would do fine.
- If you really want to be sure, try this worst-case-scenario stress test program: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 (32bit), http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205 (64bit).
- If you want to try out prime95: Start it, select 'Just stress testing', then select the maximum heat version and accept. Leave it running for a while (half an hour will do) and keep checking CoreTemp.
- You could also use these settings: http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/59/screeniem.png. They generate even more heat on my Phenom II.

Thank you! :smile:

rebelknight said:
killkhergit said:
rebelknight said:
thanks guy for the swift reply :grin:

What kind of temperatures did you 'achieve'? :smile:

it seem it wasn't a overheating prob.

more that the vent hit something in the computer.

Thank you for agreeing and helping killkhergit, and thank you rebelknight for letting me save you Abunch of time from fixing something that doesn't need fixing :grin:... But if I were you I would screw off the sides and look to see if there is a lose cord near the fan/power supply. Or even hanging from the side of the motherboard... I once had a fan fall directly off my processor before hanging by nothing but the cord... I just had to screw it back in thankfully lol

Back
Top Bottom