Tactics against Mongols

Users who are viewing this thread

Divilly

Sergeant at Arms
I really hate to fight mongols. Every battle takes a long time, because i have to pursuit the idiot skirmishers.. And the most part of my army is heavy knights.. I need a light cavalry. Some idea?

As Teutonic I used often heavy knights and lighter sergeants. I had every time around 50 light knights to have high speed horses to catch the fast archers. Less should also work.
The same tactic is usable for nearly every country. Just take the highest cav unit of your faction that is not using a war horse.

Georgians are the best. Cumans also in any situation, I love them. Maybe Turkopoles also . Strangely the Varangians can do the job by making them stand ground then attack then again stand. The step cavalry waves crush upon them like on a rock .... 

Jason, how doid you get the varangians? I participated in taking over Constantinople while being a vassal of the roman empire of nicaea but the "Roman Empire restored" thing didn't happened in my game, so no Varangians spawning in my Game. So my question again, how did you get them?

Turkopoles.

I make a line with my regular units, crossbowmen in front, move my cavalry backwards and infantry to protect archers.

Send Turkopoles forward, aid them myself, call in the cavalry. Inf & archers stay where they are.

Most of the time, it works out well - arches and turcopoles usually manage to de-horse the mongols, ground infantry manages to hold position and cavalry slaughters the rest.

In my game I'm able to recruit Georgians in Aleppo. I guess it's random at what place you can recruit them, so you should just search the cities in this area.
Georgians are Christians. So no religious problems with them and crusaders.

General von Hiller said:
Jason, how doid you get the varangians? I participated in taking over Constantinople while being a vassal of the roman empire of nicaea but the "Roman Empire restored" thing didn't happened in my game, so no Varangians spawning in my Game. So my question again, how did you get them?
I'm afraid there is a bug preventing this to happen as it should.. I did that in previous versions of the mod .. didn't check 1.03 I'm still besieging Constantinople...

Divilly said:
@Jason, how to get these "Georgians"? There's a religion clash between they and catholics?
They are mercenary units so religion doesn't matter ( I think ) . they are recruitable in Ilchanates cities ( Ikonium, Ankara, Trebisont....). If you fight the golden horde just charge the have only cavalry units after all . Ilchanate is different they have also infantry and foot archers/crossbowmen so do as Foster 161 suggested ...

Thanks for replying. I would appreciate it if you could tell me if it works in 1.03 after you took Constantinople since i loved the Varangians and want be able to recruit them and be a vassal of the true and only Roman Empire  :razz:

My usual tactic is the following:
Ball all of you infantry into a tight formation. Use infantry with shields. The infantry will halt the impact of the lancers. Meanwhile Order you cavalry to follow you, and go to the side of the map. When the lancers reaches the infantry, flank them from side with your cavalry.

General von Hiller said:
Thanks for replying. I would appreciate it if you could tell me if it works in 1.03 after you took Constantinople since i loved the Varangians and want be able to recruit them and be a vassal of the true and only Roman Empire  :razz:
Yes it works !!!! rejoice !!!! Yes we can !!! and so on ... :grin:  :lol: I tested it the day before yesterday .... I spend the whole night but I finally had the guard in my party ..... for 4000 dinars no matter if you are mercenary or vassal but who cares  :lol: 

Arszi said:
Ball all of you infantry into a tight formation. Use infantry with shields. The infantry will halt the impact of the lancers. Meanwhile Order you cavalry to follow you, and go to the side of the map. When the lancers reaches the infantry, flank them from side with your cavalry.

The problem is: I don't have infantry..

Divilly said:
Arszi said:

The problem is: I don't have infantry..
Order your cavalry to follow you then make an open circle around the enemy then order them to charge ... generally Georgians with some horse archers should work miracles..... 

The best thing to do is to fight toe-to-toe with your enemy. Even if I was outnumbered by 4 to 1, I was able to destroy most of their infantry and then I could take their cavalry all by myself. The only thing is that you must have a horse named Black Palfrey to hunt them down and keep up with their speed. Using my lance and shield and even my sword, I took down 40-50 of their horse archers by my own. Of course my roman infantry was destroyed after their initial attack because their archers were continuously running in circles and shooting their arrows all the freaking time. if you want beat the Mongolian Horse Archers,use their tactics. Don't get infantry or heavy cavalry. USE what they USE. Archers against Archers works really well. I was able to win many battles just like that.

Back
Top Bottom