Tabletop Simulator | Physics based tabletop sandbox (featuring table-flipping)

Users who are viewing this thread

[quote author=Steam]Tabletop Simulator is the only simulator where you can let your aggression out by flipping the table! There are no rules to follow: just you, a physics sandbox, and your friends. Make your own games and play how YOU want! Unlimited gaming possibilities! [/quote]

That basically sums it up above. There are very limited mechanics and rules in the sandbox, so it's a lot like just simply being at a table. You can spawn in tables of different shapes and sizes, spawn what seems like 100s/1000s of tokens, coins and figurines, change gravity, play up to 8 player multiplayer and flip the whole table over in a rage (disable-able in multiplayer :smile:).

Some of the RPG figurines are animated, which is basically awesome too. The controls are very intuitive and there are all sorts of object sets to make custom RPG levels etc. The mechanics are appropriate to the items as well, so you can flip a coin, shuffle and deal decks of cards easily and chess pieces fall into place on the board. There's even a "loot bag" item which stores other items and probably a load of extra functionality if you delve deeper.

There also seems to be pretty good modding support. You can install mods from the Steam Workshop as well as nexusmods and they automatically load from host to client without any sweat or drama. There are a lot of IP mods (not going to list them here but most of the big ones) which are presumably on questionable legal grounds. Nevertheless, a lot of potential for fun. It also seems like modding is relatively simple as well, with most texture changes manageable through modifying PNG files, you can make custom decks and absolutely all sorts. Seems like a very good platform for people to prototype and develop board games as well, giving effectively all the tools to make and try it virtually.

The game is in Early Access right now but it's working fine and playable. Four pack is available too.

[TO ADD: Hotkey List]

Screenshots below:

resizedimage638358-58.jpg

Funitems.png

tabletop_1.png

ss_203970c1dd0b8985f9f5c59767517bb7144fb6e9.600x338.jpg

tabletop%20simulator%20steam%20workshop.jpg

I like how the word 'simulator' now means a game based on physics and goofing around that will sell a lot because PewDiePie makes a video of it.

The store page says that the "RPG kit" is amongst the stretch goals, but until that arrives, I'll hold on to my money. If it arrives at all...

Nahkuri said:
I like how the word 'simulator' now means a game based on physics and goofing around that will sell a lot because PewDiePie makes a video of it.
This was my initial reaction, too, but apparently you can actually play tabletop games with it. I suppose the name and table flipping gimmick is there to bait the PewDieBait crowd for extra exposure.

Interesting idea. The whole thought of trying to appeal to PewDiePie and his fans is an intriguing (if somewhat questionable) way of perhaps getting more money than it probably would otherwise.

I've played around with the demo. It's fun to goof off with, but it's not really functional for serious gaming. If they make it or mod it for more serious play it would work good for Warhammer and the like, but currently you can't get precision movements and you're likely to knock over pieces when moving stuff. If they add the ability to lock all pieces except the one being moved then I'd recommend it, but at the moment it's like playing chess as Octodad.

Shatari said:
I've played around with the demo. It's fun to goof off with, but it's not really functional for serious gaming. If they make it or mod it for more serious play it would work good for Warhammer and the like, but currently you can't get precision movements and you're likely to knock over pieces when moving stuff. If they add the ability to lock all pieces except the one being moved then I'd recommend it, but at the moment it's like playing chess as Octodad.
I had a friend tell me that last night as well and I was equally surprised. I have no problems controlling the pieces at all.

Maybe you just need to learn some more of the hotkeys.

MaHuD said:
Is this by wolfire games?
It looks and sounds very familiar to their tabletop game for a yearly competition.
Yeah, I took one look at it and went "well, someone took Wolfire's idea and ran with it". :lol:

I don't get his humour, or how people are so thoroughly entertained by that. I did sort of enjoy his Dark Souls play through, because he got so frustrated he dropped his annoying ****ing act.

EDIT: Actually, I went back to have another look because I started doubting my own words. Which I now take back.

Yeah, I just find him annoying, the sort of gamer where if he was next to you, you would forcibly silence him after five minutes.

I really don't get the people who want to watch his videos. I mean if I want humor there are funnier people and if I want quality game analysis there are better sources for that as well.

But that kind of **** is exactly the reason people watch him. If he dropped the act and started behaving like a normal human being, he would lose millions of views. I can't really blame the guy for doing what he does.

The game looks like a nice thing for 5 minutes of goofing around with your friends. But I doubt anyone would be interested in it for much longer than that.

Back
Top Bottom