SWORD OF DAMOCLES - GOLD - V4.5 BETA DOWNLOAD

Do you experience unusual crashes during battles? (when you set high battlesize and find such battle

• A lot! I can't play!

Votes: 222 35.2%
  • Quite often, but it's playable.

Votes: 176 27.9%
  • Very little or no crashes!

Votes: 233 36.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyclohexane said:
About the comment of the lance.  I figured out how to measure items and I will go through each one and verify the weapon length in the tuple indeed matches the model.  In respect to the great lance, it is actually larger than the ruler in Open BRF.  The weapon length says 540 but it should actually be around 515 to 520 (ruler stops at 511 for some reason).

Shjn (I think) measured all the native items and made a list of those that were faulty.

Not sure where that list is though...

vonmistont said:
It's also good place to comment on the Pool:
Right now it's:
Kingdom Management most important for 72 people
Army Management 29 people
New troops and gear 27!
Invasion only 12 (one wote from me to bump it :smile: )
If it was for me it would be almost the same order but of course with invasion higer than new troops and gear... Possibly higher than army management and with troops and gear on the last place with 0 votes :smile:
But I suppose that people who put gameplay features before such fireworks all voted for options 1 and 2. Maybe if there be 2 votes Invasion would go much higher... Or maybe it's because currently invaders are not that cool... But i saw how new ones Cyclohexane did look and I must say... Best looking army... EVER... :smile: ... And not very difficult. I hope new invaders will be much more difficult to defeat.

IMO, the main reason why invasion is last is probably because so far it had been the most bland and repetitive part of SoD. A swarm of nameless lords, one like the other coming down in a pack for a near-endless head bashing fest. By the time it comes, I already have conquered Calradia and have little interest to continue the game. Perhaps it will be different in 4.5.

After I tried 4.5 alpha and got error 5 (right after successful siege of Suno) I decided to shelve SoD until next release and I tried out a few other mods. The one I liked most, and even played until finish, was Pendor. It has a very good invasion system with high drama. There are special event ueber-army spawns, not 80 centurions with 20000 soldiers total. Snake worshipers, deamons, barbarians, each unique challenge. So maybe instead of 80 lords at once, it might be better to add continuous challenge of unique opponents or a smaller number of lords but with larger but more unique armies.

Instead of them all coming in a line, how bout having 20 centurions coming into Calradia each from different directions and each with an army of 750-1000 troops. Perhaps a mix of imperial and other troops so each provides different challenge. And before that, maybe some unique spawns related to Calradia to provide some fun.

UPCOMING WEEKEND! UPCOMINGWEEKEND! YAY! I'll call my mother!

Hey i've got this error while playing, nothing that can't let me play but very annoying:
Warning, BIG image.

HTAPAWASO said:
Cyclohexane said:
About the comment of the lance.  I figured out how to measure items and I will go through each one and verify the weapon length in the tuple indeed matches the model.  In respect to the great lance, it is actually larger than the ruler in Open BRF.  The weapon length says 540 but it should actually be around 515 to 520 (ruler stops at 511 for some reason).

Shjn (I think) measured all the native items and made a list of those that were faulty.

Not sure where that list is though...
I corrected the lengths of most weapons in SoD in one of the first versions (don't remember the number) for all native weapons and the new ones at the time. For some weapons the reach is a compromise between the reach of a stab and the reach of a swing (e.g. Halberd has a long stabbing spike but the axe/hammer head is shorter). If anything was edited after that, I don't know and I cannot exclude possibility of some errors.

Extremely long weapons are problematic. Stabbing hit detection is, lets call it "not optimal". The trajectory of the point in a stab is not a straight line - it depends on the animation and the wiggle around the aiming line is linearly enhanced with the length of the weapon. This goes from insignificant for 60-90 reach swords to noticeable in 200+ pikes. Seems like anything beyond 350-400 reach behaves strangely, so I advise against the use of longer weapons.

A presentation of the options and features I've worked on :

You will have the choice of 3 methods for autoresolved battles (battles between AIs or when you you are wounded) in the new options menu (there is now a new Battle System Options Menu, where you can disable as separate things formations, battle morale, auto-dismount if formations are activated, and also chose the autoresolve system).

- Bloodbath Autoresolve (actually the default as AIs perform better with it) is for players who like seing the map evolve and appreciate the difficulty of not having 3 days to join big battles. To resume the AI vs AI battle speed is 1,5 to 10+ times faster than with native autoresolved battles (the bigger the battle the more its speed is increased ; autoresolved battles involving the player army are not concerned, to give him the opportunity to recover and fight the next waves). In addition, there are bonus based on units types (archers are better in sieges, cavalry outdoor, etc), increased penalties for the attacker in sieges needing belfries, and an huge bonus for the stronger army.  The good and bad side of this system, is the map evolving fast (with this autoresolve + the full AI changes setting one or two calradian realms will probably be completely destroyed by others AIs in less than 6 months and so you may have to deal with a calradian superpower before the invasion)

- KT0's Improved Autoresolve (exactly as released in the forge)  is usually also faster than native but just about 2-3 times. It's a system based on real units stats (everything is counted to calculate their strength, from speed of their weapons to quality of horses), and make heavy units very important as armor and defensive skills matter. It's the best option for players loving realism, but don't expect the AIs to understand that their army of 200 level 18 units in leather tunics have no chance against 50 level 25 guys having high powerstrike and super heavy armor.

- Native Autoresolve is to resume unchanged. I've let it in for people who just want slow battles they have time to join.

The new battle options menu also allow to disable...

- The Forced Rest System making the player army unable to move for some time after big battles or series of medium ones, so it becomes harder to destroy enemies one by one (especially during the invasion). The forced rest duration is based on defeated army strength, number of woundeds and prisoners and morale (with an actual maximum of 6 hours). Small battles have very little chances to force the party to rest, but add to the duration of the next stop (it's some kind of a fatigue system, with a value, decreasing every hour, added to the next forced rest duration). Feedback about rest duration and frequency will be appreciated.

There is also a new Other Settings option menu where, in addition to the old options for messages, etc... you can chose the AI setting :

- Full Experimental AI is the default AI setting (and make far more difference than "Faction AI Changes Only", as the lord based AI affect a lot more things than faction ai). Factions have defensive and offensive objectives, making AIs concentrate their forces in some regions. Lords are very aggressive and start a lot of sieges. They also show different personnalities and priorities, and you will probably notice that some lords main occupation is to raid villages when some others spend most of their time in the army. Some are more the expansionnist type trying to expand their demesne logically and give priorities to the siege of castles near their actual demesne, and all will prefer to raid/siege rich places instead of already ruined centers. Note that a logical effect of the group of lords loving to be in the army, and all the lords being globally more active, is a quasi permanence of faction armies, so borders have the tendancy to change a lot more than in previous versions (even with the slowest autoresolve system seing several castles taken per week is not uncommon).  My system is still experimental as it's name say, and for the moment clearly don't make AIs more efficient for defensive tasks, if they show some added reactivity (especially the marshalls who target ennemy armies more often, dealing with the threats).

edit : I've just fixed some bugs making the AI more agressive than intended and found a way to make my AI less dumb in defense, so this description may be obsolete.

- Faction Only AI : is a setting for tests or for people disliking the permanent army and raid addicts syndromes inducted by my lord AI changes, disabling a large part of the AI changes to just keep the faction objectives, some changes in marshall behaviour and the adjusted value of objectives according to economic factors.

- Native AI :   nothing to say. Disable all the important AI changes.

Out of options, there are two important changes :

- The War/Peace System is completely new. Instead of taking decisions all at the same time, no more than one kingdom (may) change its policy each day, so you won't see suddenly half a dozen war/peace declarations changing the face of Calradia (except when the invasion come of course).  Kingdoms base their decisions (starting a war or trying to conclude a peace) on the evolution of their power in the last month, then compare their possible choices. In example when a kingdom plan to conclude a peace it will ask itself : which opponent has the more of our lords prisoners ? who has our king (eventually) ? which has the strongest army ? which is the poorest ? which has the worst relations with our other enemies ? etc.... give scores to each opponent based on that and finally chose one (note that in the case of a peace proposal this opponent may refuse, but if it's accepted there is a one month truce the AIs won't break). The player get some explanations of AI decisions in the war or peace notification menu (ie : Kingdom of Swadia has declared war to Rhodoks Republic. You think this decison was taken because they considered this weak nation the easiest fight and they want to retake the territory lost in a previous war) and he even has messages for refused peace proposals (and for ends of truces as well ; when the players faction is involved you can also see the truce dates in faction relations report and the other factions notes). An indication of power rank and strength evolution of factions has also been added to notes.
(note : the frequency of kingdoms starting new war/peaces may be a little too high for the moment and decision system is perfectible, feedback will be appreciated)

- The Badboy Rating (inspired from the Europa Universalis one) is here to make hard for the player to take all Calradia before invaders arrive. First, before taking his first castle he will have to make sure some other kingdoms like him, or to show a sufficient honor to be an accepted ruler. Based on the relations you have with calradian realms/kings when you become king (and your honour level) you can start with a badboy rating from 0 to 30. A dishonorable stranger with no or bad relations with calradian rulers randomly taking one of their castles has good chances to see calradian realms treat him as a bandit king and usurper, and so start wars against him as soon they can. A minimum effort, like having +10 relation with 4 of the 5 realms, a good honor and leveled relation with one or two rulers before you take your first castle is recommanded and allow to have a reasonable badboy rating like 12 or so (trying to start with 0 don't really worth the effort and you need to be a real jerk to start with 30).

Once the player is king the following actions affect your badboy :
  - taking a town (+10),
  - taking a castle (+4)
  - attacking an AI faction without war declaration (+5)
  - breaking a truce with an AI faction before the end of the month (+20)
  - losing a town (-5)
  - losing a castle (-3)
  - some laws and other decisons (effects to be added)

Effects of badboy on diplomacy start to be noticeable when it is above 20 (AI factions start to have increased chances to declare wars to you, and decreased chances to propose you peaces when your badboy rating is over 10, but the effect is small). And if you reach 40 badboy, all calradian realms will declare war on you, and also have high chances to end their other wars to concentrate their forces against your kingdom.

Of course, your badboy rating decrease over time. There is a weekly badboy decay (from 1 to 5 points) based on
- Honour (the most important factor)
- Your number of Academies
- Your positive relations with other factions
- The size of your kingdom (if you own less than 2 cities and 3 castles your decay is increased, if you own more than 4 cities it's decreased)
Unfortunately, as calradians dislike your religion (or atheism), religious buildings decrease the badboy decay, so creating the infrastructure for an horde of faith troops will make harder to keep a low badboy rating

Ps : Of course, the exact numbers may change before the release (or after as it's a beta after all).

Twan said:
SEX SEX SEX SEX

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

I have one suggestion if it isn't too late. Could you add to sod a payday warning message which would inform you that the payday is etc. (day after) tomorrow at the same time of day so that if you're in bankrupt you could possibly have a chance to do something avoid debts :smile:? It wouldn't matter later in the game but in the beginning it could possibly help a bit. Something like this:
mb3-1.jpg

Or have you already done it?

Can you guys implement a tether system for your Lords similar to KTO's in Conquest mod? I'm not sure how he did it but I know it had something to do with making Lords under special orders "Follow me at all costs", would basically make them blind to things like caravans and peasants while following you on a war campaign. Maybe this could work only for Lords which whom you have high enough relations which would encourage the player to keep at least some of his Lords really happy.

Another suggestion would be allowing the player to advise his Lords on what types of troops to recruit especially since their will a more fully working autocalc system. This could also be limited to lords with whom you have high relations as well.

froggyluv said:
Can you guys implement a tether system for your Lords similar to KTO's in Conquest mod? I'm not sure how he did it but I know it had something to do with making Lords under special orders "Follow me at all costs", would basically make them blind to things like caravans and peasants while following you on a war campaign.

Wow I've spent weeks trying to do that when I was working on auxiliarii v2 and never succeeded to find a solution.
If Kt0 has one sure I'll try to implement it.

ps : Hum not sure I'll have his agreement, Conquest is not a public script pack like other kt0 works, and the mod is still in alpha.

But on the other hand this obidient lords will be just another free regiments and will make game even easier. There are features that look cool at first glance but if you look closely on their impact they are not only beneficial but harmful!

Nico said:
I have one suggestion if it isn't too late. Could you add to sod a payday warning message which would inform you that the payday is etc. (day after) tomorrow at the same time of day so that if you're in bankrupt you could possibly have a chance to do something avoid debts :smile:? It wouldn't matter later in the game but in the beginning it could possibly help a bit. Something like this:
mb3-1.jpg

Or have you already done it?
Hehe oh SoD does something MUCH better. You pay DAILY wages... 1/7 of wages is added to debt daily. No more putting all your troops in garrison just before pay day. And if a troop died in 6th day of his weekly service you still pay for this 6 days. Even if we wouldn't do that we wouldn't also put such "warning" for exploiters :smile:

Will this version have the usual naked novice, regular, veteran mercenary fighters? because their useless, no armor? no weapons? whats the point? If they can't fight to get stronger?
Nice idea the daily wages!

Don't worry mercenaries, etc... will be finished for release (also there are rumors about some whole new legion troops and new troops tree :wink: ).

vonmistont said:
But on the other hand this obidient lords will be just another free regiments and will make game even easier. There are features that look cool at first glance but if you look closely on their impact they are not only beneficial but harmful!

The interesting thing is the method he uses.
If there is a way to make a lord blind to some parties I may make lords not absolutely obedient but make them ignore parties in some situations and for limited duration.
Also knowing how to do that would be extremely usefull for AI lord as well.

I'd just like to say Twan's AI stuff, legion rework and the fact that Caladrian lords can hire the mercenary guilds are all very cool features, because I was worried for a bit that with all these new units and weapons, the game would become a bit too easy. also, all these different point systems (badboy points, religion, propaganda, demesne etc.) and the various reports are going to allow me to spend a good 10mins paused every now again reviewing every aspect of my kingdom and revising my overall strategies and goals. This sort of thing is usually only possible with a pure strategy game like civilization.
very cool

Twan said:
vonmistont said:

The interesting thing is the method he uses.
If there is a way to make a lord blind to some parties I may make lords not absolutely obedient but make them ignore parties in some situations and for limited duration.
Also knowing how to do that would be extremely usefull for AI lord as well.
He somehow breaks through the module system and accesess even the hardocded parts with true python functions if I understand well. I.e. the code for the auto resolve is not very big itself. I'm not a programmer, maybe Kuba or Mordachai could see into this. We could do almost anything then.

Qtee said:
I'd just like to say Twan's AI stuff, legion rework and the fact that Caladrian lords can hire the mercenary guilds are all very cool features, because I was worried for a bit that with all these new units and weapons, the game would become a bit too easy. also, all these different point systems (badboy points, religion, propaganda, demesne etc.) and the various reports are going to allow me to spend a good 10mins paused every now again reviewing every aspect of my kingdom and revising my overall strategies and goals. This sort of thing is usually only possible with a pure strategy game like civilization.
very cool
The mod is made by at least two EU 3 (and Crusader Kings) fans:wink: I'm also former chess player so expect some hard core strategy in the future :wink:

I am so fired up for 4.5 Gold. I love this thread. I love the nerfing and counterbalancing. I'm cheerleading again, but goddamn. The meeting of the minds is wild. At this point I want to put this mod in a blender and slurp it through a straw.

Just a question, what is the difference between "Key V - Call for Reinforcements" and "Key Y - Rally Troops" in battle?
I understand that when you press V, extra troops of your army (allies too ?) come to help but what is happening when you press Y ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom