SP MP Musket Era Sword & Musket [Napoleonic Wars - Bannerlord Mod Project]

Users who are viewing this thread

It's good to see new cool parts, contents, current situation. I will keep my eye stay at S&M news/blogs.. Wish all good luck.

8oVdQ.png

I didn't like repetitive patterns at walls or roofs.

iwYJM.png

AafKx.png

I didn't like colour harmony.
-scene colours & building colours doesnt fit well at some areas
-some building parts have same color when they are inside or outside
-some sunless building parts are way too dark

4WS5E.png

GNh23.png

gKDi6.png

There are some LoD problems imo? Roofs seems bad at distance.

Scene's itself should be much colorful. (expectation from source)

It's good to see new cool parts, contents, current situation. I will keep my eye stay at S&M news/blogs.. Wish all good luck.

8oVdQ.png

I didn't like repetitive patterns at walls or roofs.

iwYJM.png

AafKx.png

I didn't like colour harmony.
-scene colours & building colours doesnt fit well at some areas
-some building parts have same color when they are inside or outside
-some sunless building parts are way too dark

4WS5E.png

GNh23.png

gKDi6.png

There are some LoD problems imo? Roofs seems bad at distance.

Scene's itself should be much colorful. (expectation from source)
Will you adopt my suggestion that "players are free to build fortifications and engage in positional warfare with the enemy"? This is really important, because if the mod just changes the background and changes from soldiers standing for bow and arrow shooting to soldiers standing for fire and gun shooting, then this mod will be very boring. It needs to add the new play of positional warfare by introducing the function of fortification construction, so that this mod will be interesting.

Will you adopt my suggestion that "players are free to build fortifications and engage in positional warfare with the enemy"? This is really important, because if the mod just changes the background and changes from soldiers standing for bow and arrow shooting to soldiers standing for fire and gun shooting, then this mod will be very boring. It needs to add the new play of positional warfare by introducing the function of fortification construction, so that this mod will be interesting.
Yes, i agree with your suggestion. More functionalities needed to be in unusual mod.
In this case, i gave some suggestions at past. S&M devs already know it. And, they can probably do some better things than i stressed out. However, game's engine needs to be as soft as butter to see that development step from what i see rn. We need to wait & hope fortifications, even more.

Latest on-field research into the battle of Wagram for historical battlemaps.

Being close to Vienna on vacation, I used the opportunity to visit the battlefield at Wagram. When it comes to creating historical battle maps, it's all about getting an understanding of topographic details. While online ressources might help, as demonstrated for Hougoumont, being there for real allows one to mindmap the area and see details which cannot be present on any overview map.

Check out this video to get an idea of how and where the battle unfolded:

Wagram and Russbach

I started at Deutsch-Wagram. They have a nice Museum there (http://www.wagram1809.at/index.htm) with really helpful staff who knows about the local area.

20210815_143218_-_Kopie.jpg

They had some really good maps of the battlefield there, which I will not share for copyright reasons. Taking photographs was allowed, but I forgot to ask whether it was ok to share these maps online.

I then took a stroll through Wagram and headed towards the Russbach, which separated the French and Austrian army and served as defensive position. A very interesting feature of that specific area near the town of Wagram is that the hedges are sunken in, quite contrary to what I would usually expect. It's obvious that this feature strengthens the defensive value of the position.

On the way from Wagram towards the Russbach, facing the French advance.
20210815_143654_-_Kopie.jpg

A few further metres ahead, a crossing and following fork opens up two (!) ways parallel to the Russbach, which marks another important defensive feature: a second ditch behind the Russbach on the Austrian side! It appears on historical maps, but I was surprised about how deep it actually is. Water is present in some places, but not everywhere. The walls are full of trees and shrubbery, making the area a serious obstacle to any advance.

SkizzeRussbach.png

About 50 metres ahead from the last picture, looking back towards Wagram (note the sunken hedge on the right side and the churchtower) - [1 on the drawing]
20210815_143743_-_Kopie.jpg

[2]
20210815_143747_-_Kopie.jpg

[3]
20210815_143822_-_Kopie.jpg

[4,5]
20210815_143840_-_Kopie.jpg
20210815_143956_-_Kopie.jpg

A panorama at the fork revels an additional advantage (or not so much due to picture quality, but I can guarantee you that it's there): Behind the Russbach on the Austrian side, there is a not very high, but partially steep hill all along today's road parallel to the Russbach. It exists on historical maps too, next to the historical road. The Austrians retreated there after the French broke into Wagram and Markgrafneusiedel.
All in all, the Russbach must have been a superb defensive position, especially with the French being located on open fields without any significant ditches or obstacles that might serve as cover for the advance. That's depicted on historical maps and paintings too.

20210815_144426_-_Kopie.jpg

20210815_144606_-_Kopie.jpg

Russbach - note the second ditch on the panorama.
20210815_144335_-_Kopie.jpg

Russbach - view towards Marktgrafneusiedel/French positions
20210815_144110_-_Kopie.jpg

Russbach - view towards french positions between Raasdorf and Aderklaa
20210815_144039_-_Kopie.jpg

With these and more impressions of the area around Wagram and the Russbach, I got back into my car and drove through Parbasdorf to Marktgrafneusiedel. All along the way, the hill along the road was there. Couldn't take pictures while driving, but one can see it on google maps streetview:

streetview.png

Marktgrafneusiedel

At Marktgrafneusiedel, the features of the terrain changed. The hedges there were not sunken in, but plain. In comparison to the Russbach, it's a way better area to attack - which Napoleon did.

Towards the Austrian left flank near Marktgrafneusiedel
20210815_145548_-_Kopie.jpg

Towards the French far right at Marktgrafneusiedel

20210815_145552_-_Kopie.jpg

The hedges there really are not that much trouble in comparison to those near Wagram and the Russbach.
20210815_145611_-_Kopie.jpg

View towards Marktgrafneusiedel from the French right flank.
20210815_145824_-_Kopie.jpg

View towards the Russbach/Wagram (Russbach = where the trees are) from the French right flank.
20210815_145817_-_Kopie.jpg

Near the French center, view towards Russbach.
20210815_150106_-_Kopie.jpg

Raasdorf

I then walked to Raasdorf, where Napoleon had his HQ. The view towards Marktgrafneusiedel and Aderklaa is still great.

Looking from Raasdorf (French HQ) towards Aderklaa and Wagram.
20210815_150658_-_Kopie.jpg

Understanding terrain

All in all, Wagram is a very interesting example of how terrain can dictate a battle.

The Russbach is a very strong position. Strong enough to force attacks against the towns of Aderklaa, Wagram, and Marktgrafneusiedel instead, which meant marching troops all the way over open fields under barrage. Even details such as ditches in hedges can make a serious difference when it comes to sheltering from fire. On the other hands, open fields allowed the great cavalry action that was seen at Wagram. As in many modern battlefields, the plains are very open today due to modern agriculture. However, at Wagram, these plains were open in 1809 as well.

The carnage left more than 70.000 dead, wounded, or captured, and the fields seen above are still being investigated by archaeologists today.

Screenshot_20191220_110829_com.google.android.apps_.docs_.webp

Taleworlds: give us custom servers, we need them!

Last edited:
Yes, i agree with your suggestion. More functionalities needed to be in unusual mod.
In this case, i gave some suggestions at past. S&M devs already know it. And, they can probably do some better things than i stressed out. However, game's engine needs to be as soft as butter to see that development step from what i see rn. We need to wait & hope fortifications, even more.
Thank you, my friend. If the function of fortification construction and headquarters construction can be realized, this mod will bring a new way to play mount and blade 2, "positional warfare", which is very important. It would be boring if the soldiers on both sides still shoot at each other with muskets on flat land. I need to emphasize again that the fortifications and headquarters must be freely built by the players themselves, rather than automatically painted on the battlefield. Imagine a large traffic trench built by the players themselves. The players can group the troops and deploy tactics according to the location of the traffic trench (the same is true for AI enemies). Both sides use various tactics in the trench, As soon as one side of the army rushed into the enemy trench, it began hand to hand combat. Players can command troops with binoculars in the headquarters, or fight the enemy in the trenches. When the player ordered the whole army to charge, all the soldiers jumped out of the trench and rushed to the enemy's headquarters with the charge number. How magnificent it is! Players will feel a great sense of achievement, and I really hope developers can see my suggestions.

FrenchMonk, Resonant, and JackieFish and more reviewed the recently updated 1.0.2 Video Blog, and 1.0.3 Developer Diary related to the Sword & Musket project. I recommend you to watch.

Bonus: We're not mad at Taleworlds. We just want revolution. Thanks to their efforts, we are showing our efforts. We can do some things with Custom Servers.

FrenchMonk, Resonant, and JackieFish and more reviewed the recently updated 1.0.2 Video Blog, and 1.0.3 Developer Diary related to the Sword & Musket project. I recommend you to watch.

Bonus: We're not mad at Taleworlds. We just want revolution. Thanks to their efforts, we are showing our efforts. We can do some things with Custom Servers.

Will you take my advice? I mean "positional warfare system". Players and AI enemies are free to build different types of fortifications and headquarters to fight with the positional system. In the battle of defending the city, players can also transform the castle to resist the enemy's attack. Will you adopt these suggestions?

Will you take my advice? I mean "positional warfare system". Players and AI enemies are free to build different types of fortifications and headquarters to fight with the positional system. In the battle of defending the city, players can also transform the castle to resist the enemy's attack. Will you adopt these suggestions?

I can't tell you anything definite about this because right now our priorities are different. But we are considering a different engineer/sapper mechanical system. Simple and different. Also, I take note of your advice.

I can't tell you anything definite about this because right now our priorities are different. But we are considering a different engineer/sapper mechanical system. Simple and different. Also, I take note of your advice.
Thank you. I hope you will adopt my suggestions. Positional warfare and fortification construction system will greatly enrich the playing method of this game. Of course, I mean that fortifications and headquarters are built by players, not automatically generated by the system.

Veteran of Mount and Musket: Napoleonic Wars here...

Would be nice to see a few easy to implement features in this new mod:

1) Disabled auto-turning of AI units, in response to enemies. This is to allow mistakes, and emphasize strategy/awareness in multiplayer!

2) Position markings on the ground for Players/AI to take position when Officers issue a move command. For quickly setting up a formation in multiplayer. Also another idea: slightly add a bonus to the accuracy of all aiming the more "complete" the line is. This is to incentivize the struggle to obtain the line formation, keep it, and to also incentivize "closing the line", as people die. (Or not - depends on the tactics!) Square formation would be easy to do with this as players & AI would immediately know where to stand/squat. (Especially in the face of a distant Calvary charge!)

3) Bayonets enabled to very slightly help dig trenches, whenever the Sapper places down a trench.... I mean very slightly, like it would take 10 soldiers to fully build it up in the same amount of time for 1 Sapper. This is just to allow soldiers to contribute a tiny bit to construction and make gameplay dynamic

4) Very basic Wound and Recovery system. Allowing you to re-engage wounded soldiers lying on the field to save respawn tickets means that Taking the Field is strategically important! It denies the the enemy access to their wounded, and makes them lose more respawn tickets. Therefore it forces teams to fight over the field for access to their wounded, and also to try to "sneak" healing their wounded. How it would work specifically is up to you.

We strongly call for the addition of "positional warfare" system. In the field battlefield, players and AI enemies can build large positions, including complex trenches, command rooms, fortifications, traps and so on. In this way, the battle between the musket forces is more tactical.

In addition, in the city defense war, players can also freely transform the city walls in many different positions. The addition of the construction system will increase the interest of the game and the playability of the battle

Hello dear followers ?

We have finally had the chance to release the long-awaited blog. In this, we wanted to share some of the things that Aniketos our Lead Sound Designer who created important recordings and music for our project compiled for you. In general, our work adjusts during the course of our project, regardless, we wanted to show you some things in the meantime. Recently we changed the blog posting structure of our project to be every month instead of once every 3 months. ?

We aim to share descriptive content with you as much as we can. In this 1.0.4 Blog we wanted to provide information about music and sounds. We wish you all the best and a happy new year. ?

ModDB - Sword & Musket

Hello dear followers ?

We have finally had the chance to release the long-awaited blog. In this, we wanted to share some of the things that Aniketos our Lead Sound Designer who created important recordings and music for our project compiled for you. In general, our work adjusts during the course of our project, regardless, we wanted to show you some things in the meantime. Recently we changed the blog posting structure of our project to be every month instead of once every 3 months. ?

We aim to share descriptive content with you as much as we can. In this 1.0.4 Blog we wanted to provide information about music and sounds. We wish you all the best and a happy new year. ?

ModDB - Sword & Musket

hello,Here I suggest again. I hope this mod can add a "position construction" system in single player mode。 Players and AI enemies can build large positions, such as fortifications, command rooms, trenches and so on. In this way, the tactics will be more free, and the battlefield atmosphere will be more intense. The function of "building positions" can be referred to (life is feudal: MMO). Of course, I mean single player mode. If the two sides can only stand and shoot on the flat ground in the single player mode , it will be very boring in the playing method. This suggestion is really important, because the feature of this mod should be the huge expansion of the form of war, not just a change of skin. I hope your team will add my suggestions.

hello,Here I suggest again. I hope this mod can add a "position construction" system in single player mode。 Players and AI enemies can build large positions, such as fortifications, command rooms, trenches and so on. In this way, the tactics will be more free, and the battlefield atmosphere will be more intense. The function of "building positions" can be referred to (life is feudal: MMO). Of course, I mean single player mode. If the two sides can only stand and shoot on the flat ground in the single player mode , it will be very boring in the playing method. This suggestion is really important, because the feature of this mod should be the huge expansion of the form of war, not just a change of skin. I hope your team will add my suggestions.

You've given this advice before. That's when I said we added it as a note. I understand you're excited, don't worry :smile: :wink:

No, it means they read it(10 times at least) and may nor may not adopt it. They are aware of your suggestion, but it doesn't mean they will use it unless they decide it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom