Survival Games?

Users who are viewing this thread

roborob

Knight
Hey I'm trying to make a list of good survivor games. Games where at least part of the goal is not to die from lack of food, water, shelter etc. It doesn't matter whether its freeware, shareware, open source, commercial, or abandonware. I've played a lot of them and I think and I hope there are more out there for me to enjoy.

Here are some I know of:

Notrium - top down survival on an alien planet as one of 4 races. freeware
Stranded I & Stranded II - both great 3d survival games set on a tropical island with hunting and other stuff. freeware
Lost in blue -  survival game starring 2 teens shipwrecked on an island. Nintendo DS
Dwarf Fortress - while kinda far out of the genre, your still surviving in the wilderness and have to worry about food and shelter. freeware

And here will go ones you all post  :mrgreen:

Survival Crisis Z - freeware
Robinson's Requiem abandonware

First off, you have a sig of Jay and Silent Bob, and an avatar of the Zombie Survival Guide. You are now my favorite user.

Second, if you're willing to cough up some dough (And get Steam... *shudders*) then I know of a Gmod server that is a survival game. However, I can't think of the name.

Weaver said:
Unreal World.
Seconded, a top-of-the-line survival game.
Set in the Land of a Thousand Lakes during the Iron Age, you are on your own in the wilderness, depending on a number of lovely starting scenarios (your dad was mauled by a random predator, you ran off as a slave from a barbarian village, etc).

UnReal World is great.

My first hunt was so bizarre, yet incredibly fun.

I had 6 Javelins, and I saw a reindeer in the distance after climbing a tree. I ran to where I saw it, and it was still there. The map zooms in, and I spawn only a couple feet away from a herd of about 8 Reindeer.

Jackpot.

So they start waking up and realising I  am there, I let loose the javelins. The first 5 miss, the last one manages to get stuck in a Reindeers neck. By then, they're charging me, so I throw my knife at the one with the javelin in its neck, out of spite, fully expecting it to miss. Unfortunately, it gets stuck in the deer's skull. At first I was elated at the hit, then I realised the deer started running away; with my only knife stuck in its head.

I pulled out my club, collected my javelins, and started to hopelessly run in the direction "lucky" had run. I ran for a while, and right when I was about to give up I see a Reindeer sleeping by a tree. I examine it, it's "lucky". I charge forward with my club and smash it in the head, it tries to gore me with its antlers and I dodge, then it tries to run away again. I try to hit it before it breaks off, but it misses.

I run after it, and of course it's still faster than I am, so it quickly gets off screen. I continue running in that direction, but go a bit off course, and run into another Reindeer, this one uninjured, I smack it with my club, and it runs away. I begin to despair, but correct my heading a bit anyway, to compensate for the mistake I made. By now I had been chasing "lucky" for 20 minutes. Not long after changing course, I find "lucky", again, resting under a tree. I charge again with my club, completely forgetting my javelins. I smashed it in the legs in an attempt to keep it from running, and knocked it over. I smashed it in the head again, then it got up and started running away again. As it was running away I remembered my Javelins, and threw one, it missed.

I chased it again, for another 10 or so minutes, and caught up. This time, it wasn't sleeping, it looked like it had finally given up running, and wanted to fight. So I threw a javelin, missed, and closed in with my club. I smashed its legs again in an attempt to keep it from running, scored a few good hits, then smashed its head hard enough to kill it.

I roared in fury, thanked the spirits, and began to skin and butcher it. The hunt took around 40 minutes.

Hunting is supposed to become DOWNRIGHT AMAZING in the next major update. They are removing the whole tracking process from the overland map and implementing it as a wholly zoomed in map process. What does this mean? It means you will have to wander about while zoomed in to find little paw prints (or big ones if you so choose) and then follow them to the source. No more arbitrary wandering on the overland! No more animals disappearing when they run off-screen!

Sounds good to me.

I mean, not that the current system is bad, or anything, this will just be better.

I hope it's included in the current "major version" package, I'll be pissed if I have to pay for it again, for that.  :razz:

Well with that package you only get 1 major version, which I think is what you paid for the current version. You likely will have to pay again for the next one- or you can go ahead and spend $50.00 on a game which keeps on giving for a lifetime subscription.

Back
Top Bottom