Super newbie needs help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Daze507

Recruit
Hello all, I’ve just bought the game and installed this mod (never tried the native module).

I have to say I’m a bit lost and that’s why I ask for your help.
Could you give me the main lines to correctly begin a game or a link to a guide made for newbies for the native game and/or the mod (things to avoid, thing that must be done etc.)?
For now I have a few questions:
-Where can I find the money to sustain weekly the initial 50 char. army?
-Should I accept and do the quests lords and villagers give me (bring a letter, find a criminal, train peasants etc.)
-Should I make allegiance to a Kingdom at the beginning of the game?
-How can a level-up my main character? I tried in the arena but the other fighters strike far more fast (is it normal or my PC is lagging?), even a peasant is stronger than my character… how can I improve that ?
-What are the more important skills to develop?

To tell the true, I’m a bit desperate. Thank you in advance for the help.

Well this mod isn`t meant to be easy. You should have tried native first just to get a little bit familliar with the game. So for the questions:
-The choise is yours. You can raid villages, do quests, joining tournaments(at the start at the game this is the most profitable way. just ask the arena master and he`ll tell you where are tournaments held at this moment),sell the items you get when defeating a party, selling slaves which you also get after defeating a party.
-These quest bring experience and some cash. They also improve your relations with the lords and the people in the land. My advice is that you can do a few quests but only in the beginning.
- Sword of Damocles is all about making your kingdom. Afcourse you can pleage allegiance to a kingdom and this will give you some protection until you level up a bit. After that you can ask the king to release you from your oath and you can start on your own.
-There are a lot of bandit parties that you can fight in order to get some exp. I would suggest that you should fight sea raiders because they give you a really good loot and lots of exp. They are usually found in the territory of the nords near the sea.
-All the skills are important  :smile: You probably know this but just in case - when you hold your mouse over a certain skill it`s description appears on the top right corner of the window. To tell you the truth I don`t know what to reccomend. You just need to understand what they all do and choose which you would like your character to have. :]

I hope that info will be helpfull :]

Ok, thank you very much for your help.
I think you're right tr1v1ym, I will play a game with the native as it will certainly be more guided and easy. Once I  know the main mechanics of the game, I'll try the mod again.

Also in taverns you`ll find travelers who can tell you tha background story of Calradia and will tell you what opportunities it can offer. It will be of some help :]

Daze507 said:
Hello all, I’ve just bought the game and installed this mod (never tried the native module).

I have to say I’m a bit lost and that’s why I ask for your help.
Could you give me the main lines to correctly begin a game or a link to a guide made for newbies for the native game and/or the mod (things to avoid, thing that must be done etc.)?
For now I have a few questions:
-Where can I find the money to sustain weekly the initial 50 char. army?
-Should I accept and do the quests lords and villagers give me (bring a letter, find a criminal, train peasants etc.)
-Should I make allegiance to a Kingdom at the beginning of the game?
-How can a level-up my main character? I tried in the arena but the other fighters strike far more fast (is it normal or my PC is lagging?), even a peasant is stronger than my character… how can I improve that ?
-What are the more important skills to develop?

To tell the true, I’m a bit desperate. Thank you in advance for the help.

well that's how I would start

Making Friends: since you companions level very slow u want them as fast as possible
In particular u should definitely get:
-Artimer (Engineering)
-Deshavi (path finding)
-Jeremus(Surgery)

Additionally giving them Trainer skills works quit well after they leveled up.
You can find them randomly in Taverns in every town or you hate waiting  and directly recruit them from the camp menu.
You also need money, so killing See raider for their loot is  probably the fastest way to get a decent amount plus you can equip your pals which is generally a good idea.

Now we need more troops you can try to recruit/free prisoners but this means that yo have to fight with lords and that's at least
with low level companions and Troops quit trouble some, instead lets make a bit more money and get peasants from the villages,
it takes time to train them especially with low Trainer skills but  since we are trading at the same time it doesn't matter (Buying Fur and Spice in the North and sell it in the South).
When you come across a tournament  bet on yourself and win.

When you have ~150 Men you can start looking for a castle to make your own preferably one with low garrison and a faction that is already at War, so you are not entering a last man Standing competition against a whole Kingdom.

after besieging the castle you wait for Artimer to heal and then you build a Barracks (Villanes get an archery first) and a smith the village gets a Mill.
While the buildings are constructed you can try to  get a ew more soldiers but dont stray too far from your castle its likley that somone shows up to retake it (if you have bad Luck a King's partie sohows up with around 500 men to kick your ass)

After defending your home your enemy usually keeps a low profile for a while, time to make some money and build up your army once you are done and you feel strong enough you may try to take a town its not that different to take a Town. After getting one your Money problems should disappear Town income is _the_ way to make Money in SoD.

That's basically everything you need for a quick start.

At long last some hints.
-Don't sell lord, a lord in a  dungeon can't make trouble a free one will come back [You might consider building the Prisoner tower in one of your castles]
-Every Faction has a weak spot so recruiting foreign troops sounds like a good idea
-Try to get rid of your Mercenary as fast as possible they are expansive compared to faction Troops

So that's it have Fun.

As the smart ones here might have noticed  :wink: I'm by no means an native speaker so you either send me a PM with better grammar or you shut the hell up :mrgreen:

If you are completely new to Mount&Blade, maybe you'll find this useful:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,75422.0.html

Just have patience and train... not your character, you as a player! :wink:
M&B is not at all easy: it has a steep learning curve, but is also extremely rewarding.
I've been playing M&B for 2 years or something, and the combat system still feels so fresh and immersive...

Thank you for advices dudes.
I have to say I've played native for some days now and I've got a better idea on many things.
I think I'll wait for the v.4.5 release before starting a new SOD adventure...
Aequo, my english is not native either but well, I think we can understand each other :roll:

Back
Top Bottom