Sumpter horses are ridden by bandits, but 'are not horses'

Users who are viewing this thread

Doofus

Sergeant
I was told to put this here since it is not considered a bug...for some reason. Many of the bandits will leave Sumpter horses when defeated. This means they are riding them. But when you try to upgrade troops that require horses for the upgrade (not war horses) it will say you don't have any horses available, even when you have over 50 sumpter horses. I assume this is not by intent. Kind of interesting considering they take lame horses of other types, but not sumpter horses.I believe this has only been an issue for me in 1.5.2, but it is consistent within that version.

As an example, I just completed the caravan ambush quest. The Caravan was ambushed by 54 Steppe Bandits. After defeating them I got 12 sumpter horses in loot. Yet Steppe bandits are generally the fastest units on the map. They should not be dropping nothing but sumpter horses after battle.

You're not getting their riding horses, you're getting their pack animals. They nerfed the regular horse drops hard early on in the EA. In the early versions of the game, you could get dozens of horses in loot from steppe bandits and it was seen as too much easy money, so they nerfed it way back to where now you're lucky to get a small handful non-lame horse in loot no matter how many mounted troops there were.

You're not getting their riding horses, you're getting their pack animals. They nerfed the regular horse drops hard early on in the EA. In the early versions of the game, you could get dozens of horses in loot from steppe bandits and it was seen as too much easy money, so they nerfed it way back to where now you're lucky to get a small handful non-lame horse in loot no matter how many mounted troops there were.
I gotta cut in here because they DO ride Sumpter horses and often lame sumpter horses, when you shoot them off the horses you can hop off your and see what they were riding.

Yet Steppe bandits are generally the fastest units on the map. They should not be dropping nothing but sumpter horses after battle.
It is a bazaar and poor issue that steppe bandits get so much speed simply for being "all mounted" when most of their troops (all in the caravan ambush) are barely faster then the average foot soldier. This is of course because the speed calc doesn't care what horses are ridden, just that a unit is coded as mounted. Wanting steppe bandits to be a bit slower has been a hot request since day 1 but we get nothing after 5 months.
Edit: I think a good fix would be to have the t2 steppe Bandits counted as "footman on horse" for the speed purposes, rather then Cav, even though technically they're still not that as sumpters don't work for the "foot man on horse" either. but whatever, just slow them down lol

The steppe bandits riding sumpter horses is possibly to make them not blatantly OP in battle. With such slow speed they less threatening then looters.
You companions and MC can also ride pack horses in combat if they choose, as you do in the spawn of the game. So I think it's good steppe bandits (the t2 basic unit) ride sumpters, but I would like their speed reduced someday.....
Pie in the sky!

They can leave them slow if they want, they can keep them cheap if they want, but if Steppe bandits can ride sumpter horses, then any unit that needs a horse for an upgrade (other than war horse) should be able to use them.

Back
Top Bottom