Summary of the news in the TC Modders Open Letter thread

Users who are viewing this thread

You guys are fighting the good fight here but really it all boils down to one very simple concept - they sold us out for consoles. Dead stop. Sure they’ll throw a few bones at us even hold a couple “meetings” -

“hey should we focus on this in-depth kingdom management features the Pc geeks crave or... up the frame rate by dropping a few features for consoles..”
Zoom soy lattes raise in unison for the latter
I fear you're right, and for a very simple reason.
I'm quite sure they didn't expect such a positive response on Steam, and they certainly didn't expect to sell that many copies. The moment they realized that the old Warband veterans didn't like the "game" while the new casuals did, they asked themselves: "Are those our playerbase now? Aren't we more likely to find more people with that casual, instant gratification mentality on the console market?" They thought about it, realized the answer is: "Hell yes" and decided to dumb their whole vision down and ignore or sideline modding altogether. They probably aren't working on multiplayer much either because they're waiting for the console version, and they'll surely have other security checks, DRM and netcode then. Why make a decent product for PC when (forgive my toxicity, but sometimes it's really impossible not to put some in a discussion like this) you have 100000 morons giving you a glowing recommendation on Steam, making even more people buy the game while you work for a console version which will probably be just as bad, but even better received since console players have different standards?

Im ashamed of my good review i left on Steam as a 1st day play -as an older experienced gamer - i should have known better. They Taleworlds- had basically earned alot of good Faith from me -that being I trusted them and since I hadnt gotten that far into the game when i left that review -id just assumed that either all dialogue/quests/diplomacy were either in -or fervently being worked on in the backround as we were only in Early Access. It was really only after the many very basic type suggestions were being shot down in their "internal meetings" one after another I realized the worst had happened- they were not working fervently behind the scenes to give us the game we all dreamed of and were mostly promised -they were figuring out (like the poster above me said) who their actual monetary fanbase was.

Im ashamed of my good review i left on Steam as a 1st day play -as an older experienced gamer - i should have known better. They Taleworlds- had basically earned alot of good Faith from me -that being I trusted them and since I hadnt gotten that far into the game when i left that review -id just assumed that either all dialogue/quests/diplomacy were either in -or fervently being worked on in the backround as we were only in Early Access.
I don't know if I am an experienced gamer but other than that, this is how I felt at the beginning of EA about the game and gave it a positive review and recently changed it.

I'm quite sure they didn't expect such a positive response on Steam, and they certainly didn't expect to sell that many copies. The moment they realized that the old Warband veterans didn't like the "game" while the new casuals did, they asked themselves: "Are those our playerbase now? Aren't we more likely to find more people with that casual, instant gratification mentality on the console market?" They thought about it, realized the answer is: "Hell yes" and decided to dumb their whole vision down and ignore or sideline modding altogether. They probably aren't working on multiplayer much either because they're waiting for the console version, and they'll surely have other security checks, DRM and netcode then. Why make a decent product for PC when (forgive my toxicity, but sometimes it's really impossible not to put some in a discussion like this) you have 100000 morons giving you a glowing recommendation on Steam, making even more people buy the game while you work for a console version which will probably be just as bad, but even better received since console players have different standards?
This only makes sense if the game's design hadn't been largely set beforehand and every single scrap of evidence points to that not being the case.

This only makes sense if the game's design hadn't been largely set beforehand and every single scrap of evidence points to that not being the case.
That could also be explained with a general lack of... well, direction in Taleworlds. They might just not have planned anything ahead, going with the flow afterwards. I also want to believe that at a certain point it was still a passion project of theirs.

That could also be explained with a general lack of... well, direction in Taleworlds. They might just not have planned anything ahead, going with the flow afterwards. I also want to believe that at a certain point it was still a passion project of theirs.
I recommend that you and everyone else check out this comment by @mexxico in a similar thread. It's a real tear-jerker.

Gonna miss him when he's gone. Hopefully someone else takes up the torch.

I don't think that TW is really grifting us, but I do believe that there's a complete disconnect between management and fans which needs to be repaired if this franchise is going to survive. I really don't think that management understands how disappointed we are and I'm not sure what it'll take to make them understand.

I recommend that you and everyone else check out this comment by @mexxico in a similar thread. It's a real tear-jerker.

Gonna miss him when he's gone. Hopefully someone else takes up the torch.

I don't think that TW is really grifting us, but I do believe that there's a complete disconnect between management and fans which needs to be repaired if this franchise is going to survive. I really don't think that management understands how disappointed we are and I'm not sure what it'll take to make them understand.
I never read that post before, thanks for pointing me to it. I can see with Mexxico would be the one to leave Taleworlds, doesn't really seem like a healthy or well-managed environment, at all. Not that I'm surprised given the end results.

Back
Top Bottom