Sui Generis

Users who are viewing this thread

The Kenshi developer had a clear idea of what the game was going to be like at the end, despite its core concept being a bit of a hard sell. Meanwhile the wishlist for sui generis is more like a bunch of contradictory buzzwords designed to appeal to the Hema crowd. Even back in 2015 I couldn't quite fathom this actually being a real game. It's just too broad, and the list of features feels more like a bunch of popular, nice-sounding ideas from a 16 year old on TWC than a proper game design.

My guess is that the team just broke up due to lack of funds ...
As indie projects go, they were given almost perfect conditions,
with reaching their goal and getting extra funds through Exanima.
With more than 4000 reviews and "very positive" rating they must have made good money.
If they get to keep the Kickstarter money (I don't know the rules) it's practically a scam.

The Kenshi developer had a clear idea of what the game was going to be like at the end, despite its core concept being a bit of a hard sell. Meanwhile the wishlist for sui generis is more like a bunch of contradictory buzzwords designed to appeal to the Hema crowd. Even back in 2015 I couldn't quite fathom this actually being a real game. It's just too broad, and the list of features feels more like a bunch of popular, nice-sounding ideas from a 16 year old on TWC than a proper game design.

I was more just thinking about the general ethos of how they presented both games to the public as RPGs (write your own story, the world doesn't care about you, etc.) but you're right. I looked at the latest update for Exanima and it's surprising that this developer still talks about pie-in-the-sky features and bull**** this far into the project.

I was more just thinking about the general ethos of how they presented both games to the public as RPGs (write your own story, the world doesn't care about you, etc.)

What's funny is that even though Kenshi is probably even more "world doesn't care" in this regard, the way the Sui Generis developers treat gameplay and player interaction is really obnoxious. They initially refused to add brightness sliders because "in real life you can't turn up a brightness slider". They refused to add more forgiving save points or camera options or even a minimap for the same reason, and insist on the players taking resposibility for avoiding their timewastey game systems. But at the end of the day this is still just grimdark gangbeasts with permadeath.

Meanwhile in Kenshi you can savescum and even cheat as much as you want, but it also rewards you for persevering on a "failed" save by giving you extra xp when you get knocked out. This game would really benefit from something like this, because whenever I feel like playing it I am instantly reminded of the time I spend 3 hours running around in the singleplayer dungeon looking for the exit.

I wonder how they're going to handle more difficult enemies. Right now the game is fun until enemies just get way too good at staying out of reach/blocking. Every level you descend in the story is like going down a level of fun as well. Bosses especially are a real cluster****.

I honestly miss the old days when it was a drunk brawl simulator. Every patch giving more rigidness and control to the characters has made the combat less fun. Sure, you're supposed to eventually use magic as well, but that's just a bandaid for a bad melee system. I can't help but feel this all could have been avoided if they had gone for manual blocking.

I still say it's a scam. They got a ton of Kickstarter money and must have made a small fortune on Exanima (8K reviews on Steam and still Early Access!).
But it's just a small, tedious dungeon crawler. They never made the promised Sui Generis Kickstarter game.
I never supported it, so don't have to care. But it shows what a gamble all this Kickstarter, Indiegogo etc. business is.

I bought it years ago. I can't remember how much it was but I've had a lot of playing time from Examina (which I wouldn't call small), I can't consider it a scam, Adorno. It does feel hard to believe that they'll ever release Sui Generis, but I think that's more likely to be down to a misjudgement on their part about how much work it would entail. You're certainly right that it's a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom