Sui Generis

Users who are viewing this thread

Sweet! Expected something bad from this thread, but this is really cool. Reminds me of Die by the Sword (similiar wonkieness but fun at the same time). Hope it gets funded even tho it doesn't have big names selling it.

Harkon Haakonson said:
I'm not getting combat. Looks like they're doing the same attack and dodge sequences over and over again in super tedious fights. What's interesting about that?

The animations aren't pre-cooked like in Mount & Blade (and War of the Roses, and Chivalry actually). What that means is that you will see no swords going clean through anything as if it wasn't there, like you do in those other games. Even though the attack may be the same, the outcome is always different, since it's dynamically calculated upon impact, taking into account angles and all sorts of advanced stuff.

Now, imagine if Mount & Blade 2 has this. Can you imagine the literal overnight explosion of Youtube videos, just showing the effects of people bashing each other and falling over in fun and unexpected ways? I think it would propel M&B2 to near Minecraft proportions in popularity, especially with mods later on.

I mean, for an example of how effective even a shoddy implementation of this can be, just Google for Sumotori Dreams. That game would have been nothing without the inverse kinetics and now it has thousands of Youtube videos, and because of it, the creator was able to release a paid version even.

Every combat sequence with the dual wielding looked completely absurd (one of the reasons there is no dual wielding in M&B). Even the 1h weapons looked pretty terrible with swings, etc. The flail, while hilarious, was also absurd, especially since the ogre thing hit himself twice as much as he hit his enemy.

M&B has some knockdown effects with hammers, and very accurate stun response when getting hit.

I think this game looks great, but trying to argue it's merits in the M&B world, or saying that it is better than M&B is just not true.

Taleworlds will probably change M&B combat with Bannerlord, but I think it will be much different than what was shown in this video. I really don't think the two can be compared. The precision of M&B combat simply does not exist in the video presented by Bare Mettle.

Stop comparing two different games with different aims. Geez. This prototype looks really cool, but it wouldn't look nearly as good in third or first person. I also don't want to think of the massive hardware requirements such a system would introduce to MaB. Getting a really, really dynamic combat system for the MaB games would take years and years and years to develop. On top of that, the dev's could not be sure that this major aspect could technically and aesthetically live up to the other features of the game.
If you think one can simply create a perfectly third-person dynamic combat simulator you don't have any idea how difficult it is to produce such thing. If it was, I for one am sure that MaB would be the first to get it right.

Sui looks like great fun but that kind of combat will always look and be a bit random and hilarious. It can't be polished enough for the competetive gameplay MaB offers.

Edit: And how about you change that dumbass thread title so people will actually look into it and find out about the game.

This looks pretty cool, especially the physics and fighting oh my! Although he does look a little drunken but I'm sure that will improve.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Well, I still think the fighting looks retarded and oversimplified.
Oversimplified? I was surprised in the second fight against the knight when the knight swung, he dodged, stepped in, did a backhand on his weapon and began to smash his face in, and you call that simplified?
Sure there isn't the directional blocking of Up, down, left and right, but really I'll be honest with you its hard deflecting a sword, you either dodge it or get hit with it.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Well, I still think the fighting looks retarded and oversimplified.

It looks weird, but oversimplified? No chance in hell. The fight with the Ogre was awesome, even though the Ogre should learn how to use the flail better. :wink:

This looks really nice, although the characters seem a bit drunk when fighting. Still, I like it, and I hope it gets funded.

Jesus, stop jumping on my pants people.

Game looks awesome overall but the movements still look very limited and I hope that part improves a lot. Else it's just the same dodge and attack animations over and over again.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Jesus, stop jumping on my pants people.

Game looks awesome overall but the movements still look very limited and I hope that part improves a lot. Else it's just the same dodge and attack animations over and over again.

Did you search for Sumotori Dreams as I recommended?

There are no "dodge and attack animations". At least not in the traditional sense.

Kind've wondering how the user interface works to execute those kinds of character moves though. Does seem promising. Hope they reach their target! Always good to see gaming progressing.

ADDIT: I was thinking about this game, and realized why I'd be reluctant to front money for it.

A great physics engine and scene-building engine does not a great game make.

Many of the most successful games ever have either no physics systems at all (Civilization, Baldur's Gate, Fallout/Fallout2, Galactic CivilizationsII)  or truly limited physics engines (The Elder Scrolls, Fallout3, Half-Life/Counterstrike, EVE Online, etc.). While I do commend these guys for their vision, and I wish them nothing but success, I don't see any story writers in their team, nor do I see any description of such creative skills among any of their existing team.

Doesn't mean that even without major story elements they won't produce a good game. But given that they express a desire to create a roleplaying game, and not a simulator, I think their oversight of story might well prove to be a major flaw.

I'm definitely liking the physics based movement. If they can make it possible for the character to move in a less drunken way (and yeah, some kind of dodge/roll sidestep move would be good), it'll be pretty awesome.

I'm not sure why they're making it isometric though and how the controls actually work. Do you just click to attack? How do you move, with WASD?

This has some stuff about the story in it:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis/posts/341341?ref=activity

Back
Top Bottom