Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

the Scots troops seem a little too braveheart-esque
Scots need actual heavy infantry, http://www.geocities.com/na_degadmedieval_ireland/Galloglaich-History-and-Equipment
and most Scottish knights were dismounted, as they couldn't afford horses
otherwise I like the mod

Brynjolfr said:
Why is the game-map upside down?

It's just been done that way. But it's quite simple to turn it around. Shouldn't really affect your gameplay much at all! Still a great mod

I think the equipment of English knights should be slightly better, on average, than that of Scottish ones. Also, many unrelated items (khergit/vaegir arms and armor, spangenhelms, norman style helmets) could be replaced with others, like different models of kettle hat, cerveliers, early forms of bascinet, small bucklers, early visored helms, period clothing, etc.

By the way, if you need some pictorial reference, I can help with that.

Cheers. 

I'll give my impressions and try to post something that I hope helps. First of all, I'm probably not as experienced as most here, having only played the HYW mod through to map domination and never played native.Historical settings are pretty much my only interest, so I'm grateful you made this mod, I've been playing it for waaaay too many hours.Currently hero is at level 20, with 8 companions at level 17, Irish faction (joined the first one that invited my lowly hero), renown 1195, honor 92,army size 150 of 169 allowed. Only getting a few missions from clan chief,  the herd cows, go spying type common to native that sends the only army they have able to spank their enemies off on wasteful missions while they get smacked by enemy invaders. So, to do something in between these missions I take my army raiding the 3 factions we're at war with. Ends up with endless enemy armies appearing, whip these armies in detail, rinse and repeat, return to Ireland to sell stuff, level up , repeat. My army is mostly cavalry (any and every type), with about 15% infantry and 15% archers. The enemy armies appearing usually have huge amounts of archers,with maybe 20% each of infantry and cavalry. They're dead meat for a massed cavalry attack with infantry/archer follow-up. They seem to appear one right after another, with homeland invasions thrown in to make another pointless siege of an Irish castle.My clan chief had me retake one of these castles they lost. That ended up the usual way I think it does in native, a banzai assault up the narrow ladder while your troops get pin cushioned by kilometer range laser guided arrows, eventually retaking the castle with huge losses. I keep my hero out of these fights until the very end, as you really cant do anything  of worth and get wounded by arrows so bad it becomes tedious to repeat the whole siege if you get defeated in the throne room by a gang with 1 or 2 wounded archers as "help". I suspect this is a fault of native, not mods.

Anyway, this all is leading up to suggestions for this mod,as the many of things I've mentioned are I think common to native. On my recons I've peeked into the enemy castles to check out their garrisons. Huge amounts of archers, no way I'm going to assault them, it's pointless because even if I succeed with huge losses, suddenly massed enemy armies will appear. Can't really co-ordinate an invasion of enemy homeland with my faction to take the enemy fortresses in detail because they wont join in in anything worthwhile (maybe more requests for cow herds for their army). So I'm wondering if there's really a point. In the HYW mod, I was eventually able to get the enemy down to one last fortress, (I wondered where they were getting recruits for the thousand man army combinations that would desperately sortie out), but eventually wore them down and conquered the whole map.

I would like to see less enemy archers in the garrisons, (maybe not strategically realistic ,but so are a lot of things in gaming), to give some kind of chance for one faction or another to eventually dominate the map. Maybe fewer enemy armies spawning (where are they getting all these guys, I've killed them by tens of thousands). I'm beginning to feel like the guy bailing out the ocean with a teaspoon.In other words, for more emphasis on the strategic as opposed to the tactical of battling endless enemy armies spawning.A chance to gradually gain territory with clever movements, great potentials with this mod in particular because of the way the factions are situated, hitting one and then suddenly confusing them by feinting or attacking far away or on a different faction. Right now with all those huge enemy garrisons squatting in their castles, I've had a lot of fun faking sieges and drawing them out to get whipped with minimal losses.But there's simply no point in trying to gain or hold territory now, it would be a forever war.

I hope this doesn't sound like criticism, it's not meant to be, I wish we had more historical setting mods like these and I truly appreciate this mod. Right now I see no chance for any final objective except a strategic defense of my faction. One request I'd like to make is a post detailing the companions, the name changes have me a bit confused on them and I'm having a bit of trouble getting my favorites together as I'm too much of a newb  at this game to be overly familiar with them without some kind of reference to their old "selves". Thanks for making this mod.

Gwenndolau said:
the Scots troops seem a little too braveheart-esque
Scots need actual heavy infantry, http://www.geocities.com/na_degadmedieval_ireland/Galloglaich-History-and-Equipment
and most Scottish knights were dismounted, as they couldn't afford horses
otherwise I like the mod

Gallowglass' are irish mercenaries, who where given fiefdoms. Also if a scottish noble say where to become a knight im pretty much 100% they could afford a horse, noble birth (knights) HAD money, even if the motley crew of scottish infantry couldn't.

I hope this doesn't sound like criticism, it's not meant to be, I wish we had more historical setting mods like these and I truly appreciate this mod.

Yes definitely. Britain 1297 is one of the most accurate historical mods I've seen yet. Keep it up Peter!

Some kingdom management features perhaps?
Carving your own faction from good old blighty. Making for example a rebel faction like the Barons Alliance.

I think there should be 2 options on which to upgrade your english infantry to, the english billman (who should all have bills as there weapons by the way) and the second option should be dismounted english knights who were very common in english armies because being dismounted gave them the chance to protect there archers. Oh Year speeking of archers English longbow should upgrade to english Yoemen (sp?).

I hope you implement these minor changes, cheers.

OK i have noticed one thing about the game which puzzled me. Why do the Irish not have Foot wear? most of them are bare foot.

Back
Top Bottom