Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Phoenix234 said:
add a way for people to see the officer for there unit, and the overall leader? maybe some sort of obvious sign like you can always see there floaty circle sign thing

noone listens to the officers or commanders at the moment since they look like everyone else maybe a different coloured chat? like a squad chat or faction chat for those players?

indeed, if the commander had different colored chat then atleast it would be easier to make up some tactics on normal servers. Now you have to have half of your team CAPS + LOCK scream over to the other half of the team to do a simple task.

Leberecht Reinhold said:
Yes, they can give buffs already, they are just disabled in big servers.

People still didnt stick to officers.

I cant tell who my officer is when 100 people are running at the enemy.

in commander battle,cavalry is almost useless against infantry,even when hitting them from back and austrian uhlans are speaking russian  :razz: otherwise ,commander battle is the best feature

Did anyone else notice the flags always wave away from the bearer?

It would be nicer to have them flowing behind the holder, to give a sort of epic feel that when running towards the enemy, the wind is in your face, the flag behind you, and it isn't seemingly trying to escape it's pole.

When sappers destroy enemy fortifications they gain buildpoints.
Ground spikes are couched so that they actually damage calvery.
Inceasing Sword swing speed and or damage.
An option for servers to fix firstperson and thirdperson views.
Some kind of Field surgeon that can apply first aid.

• I'd like to see the animations improved, particularly reloading animations and charging animations.

• I'd like to see the reticule improved, particular the artillery reticule.
  • I'd like to see cavalry rebalanced, as at the moment even if it attacks infantry in the rear it will still be easily defeated. Also the horse colours should be mixed up a bit, its strange seeing everyone in a unit have identical horses.
  • I'd also like to see the command interface and commands overhauled to look something like this:

F1 - Movement
F1 (Hold) - Hold here

F1 - Hold this position
F2 - Follow me
F3 - Charge
F4 - Stand ground
F5 - Retreat
F6 - Advance ten paces
F7 - Fall back ten paces
F8 (Hold) - Face this direction
F9 - Face the enemy

F2 - Combat
F2 (Hold) - Focus fire

F1 - Fire at will
F2 - All fire now
F3 - Fire by rank
F4 - Ripple fire
F5 - Melee charge

F3 - Formations

F1 - Form 1 rank
F2 - Form 2 ranks
F3 - Form 3 ranks
F4 - Form 4 ranks
F5 - Form 5 ranks
F6 - Spread out
F7 - Stand closer
F8 (Infantry) - Form square
F8 (Cavalry) - Form wedge

F4 - Weapons/Equipment

F1 - Use melee weapons
F2 - Use ranged weapons
F3 - Use only blunt weapons
F4 - Use weapons at will
F5 - Find ammo
F6 - Mount horses
F7 - Dismount

F5 - Behavior

F1 - Everyone stand
F2 - Everyone crouch
F3 - Default posture
F4 - Use nearby cover
F5 - Skirmish

F6 - Special

F1 - Surrender
F2 (Artillery) - Unlimber cannon
F3 (Artillery) - Limber cannon
F4 (Artillery) - Man cannon
F5 (Artillery) - Load shell/ball
F6 (Artillery) - Load canister
F1 - Movement
F1 (Hold) - Hold here

F1 - Hold this position
F2 - Follow me - stays the same
F3 - Charge - stays the same
F4 - Stand ground - stays the same
F5 - Retreat - stays the same
F6 - Advance ten paces - stays the same
F7 - Fall back ten paces - stays the same
F8 (Hold) - Face this direction - an arrow on the ground appears so you can rotate your troops to face a certain direction.
F9 - Face the enemy - your troops face the enemy, as they do by default

F2 - Combat
F2 (Hold) - Focus fire - group will fire at enemies around the icon which is projected much like the movement icon. If said enemies move, fire will follow

F1 - Fire at will - stays the same
F2 - All fire now - stays the same
F3 - Fire by rank - the front rank will fire, then the second rank (if it exists) as the first reloads, then the third (if it exists), as the first finishes off reloading and the second reloads. The cycle will then begin again.
F4 - Ripple fire - troops fire in a ripple from left to right
F5 - Melee charge (hold for flag marker) - troops will conduct a melee charge at troops near the flag marker. This will help mitigate the limitations of the usual F4-F1, F1-F3 method of charging which are:
  • Pressing F1-F3 makes troops move towards any nearby enemies, often splitting your troops up in the process. A melee charge would get your troops to attack one group of enemies in one area.
  • Troops cannot use their ranged weapons, even if they are loaded. During a "melee charge" troops would fire off any loaded rounds in their weapons before contact, before switching to bayonets.
  • Troops are spread out and sparse during a charge, making the F1-F3 charge mean little more than "casually advance to enemy". During a "melee charge", troops would attack coherently, and have bayonets ready to lunge before coming into contact.
  • Bayonet charges in history were ferocious. Added sound effects during a melee charge would add to the realism and immersion.

F3 - Formations

F1 - Form 1 rank - stays the same
F2 - Form 2 ranks - stays the same
F3 - Form 3 ranks - stays the same
F4 - Form 4 ranks - stays the same
F5 - Form 5 ranks - stays the same
F6 - Spread out - stays the same
F7 - Stand closer - stays the same
F8 (Infantry) - Form square - forms an infantry square, used for last stands or defense against cavalry attacks.
F8 (Cavalry) - Form wedge - forms a tight cavalry wedge, used for splitting up an enemy formation.

F4 - Weapons/Equipment

F1 - Use melee weapons - stays the same
F2 - Use ranged weapons - stays the same
F3 - Use only blunt weapons - stays the same
F4 - Use weapons at will - stays the same
F5 - Find ammo - troops will loot the ground nearby for cartridges, especially useful if your entire squad has lost their ammo from walking through water
F6 - Mount horses - stays the same
F7 - Dismount - stays the same

F5 - Behavior

F1 - Everyone stand - everyone stands
F2 - Everyone crouch - everyone crouches, useful for taking cover, or hiding in cornfields
F3 - Default posture - reverts to default standing/crouching
F4 - Use nearby cover - troops will seek to put small objects (rocks, fences, trees etc.) in front of them and the enemy. While reloading troops will try to completely obscure the enemies line of fire, however once they have loaded they will emerge temporarily from cover to fire
F5 - Skirmish - troops will avoid melee contact with enemies and seek cover, but not so much as "use nearby cover"

F6 - Special

F1 - Surrender - troops drop their weapons and raise their hands, putting them out of the fight but not adding to your deaths.
F2 (Artillery) - Unlimber cannon - artillerists unlimber your cannon
F3 (Artillery) - Limber cannon - artillerists limber the cannon
F4 (Artillery) - Man cannon - two men will man the cannon, one tasked with loading rounds, the other with using the ramrod.
F5 (Artillery) - Load shell/ball - the first man will pick up a round and place it in the cannon, the second will reload the cannon. The first then pushes the cannon forward if needed.
F6 (Artillery) - Load canister - same as above but with canister round
  • I'd love to see a single-player game option called Historic Battles, where you could play as different soldiers and officers in famous battles of the Napoleonic era such as Borodino, Austerlitz, Dresden, Lodi, Salamacar, Talavera and Waterloo. I think it would be great fun for the guys at Taleworlds to design these as well. Who knows maybe it could feature in multiplayer too.
  • I think commander battle should be added to Native.
  • I also think in commander battle, once all your troops are dead, you should be able to play as a regular troop in someone else's unit.

• I think there should be some more flat maps for set-piece battles - far too many of the random maps are completely hilly, which makes for rather formless battles.

• The bugs, particularly the flying soldier bug, should be ironed out.

• Change the way soldiers spawn at the start of commander battles. There are nightmare traffic jams which completely break the immersion at the start of every battle. The troops should be in some basic order to begin with, with troops slightly spread out from each other, not in total disarray as one big bundle.

• If you don't like the sound of persistent aspects in NW ignore this, I for one would much rather the improve the commanding system. Although I'm fairly sure it would never happen, some sort of leveling or progression would be great. It would come under 3 categories:

Here the character could work on bonuses for troop skills, for example a trained marksman could get a +10 bonus to marksmanship, while a fearsome melee fighter could earn a bonus to his melee skills. In addition to a gradual gradient of skill progression, certain perks could be selected which would encourage specialization, such as a bonus to artillery reloading time.
A series of perks, unlocked through successful commander battles, would add to the experience of commanding, for example +20% Squad Size, +20% Firing Accuracy, +20% Charge Bonus, or -20% Squad reloading time. Others could be subtle HP bonuses or even unlock special abilities such as constructing small defenses on the battlefield. Perhaps you could get better weapons, such as tempered weapons, or better horses for your men. You could even have special individual soldiers that buff your men, such as ensigns, color bearers, drummers and fifers.
Characters could earn slightly better equipment, for example tempered or masterwork weapons, better horses, larger bags of cartridges, or better cartridges or an Artillery Officer's spyglass, which would help calculate range. You could get more unique ordnance for artillery such as quicklime and carcass shells. It would also be cool to unlock accessories such as pipes and cigars here too.

With no stats or level progression of any kind, every battle feels a little insignificant. At least add a record of your kills, deaths and other battlefield statistics.

I love Napoleonic Wars but I still feel it has potential to vastly evolve into something much better.

I don't like the idea of better weapons for people who spend their life on the game... I my self go on for events only every few days... I think unlock-able items is a good idea though! But these will just be skins like battered weapons or uniforms to prove you have been in the war for a while.... maybe some medals or stuff....

Please god NO. No unlockables or rewards for obsessives. The part of the appeal for this game aside from the setting and relaxed pace is the old school 'earn your own fun' thing. Achivements are as far as this should ever go.

Also, related: Fort Lyon has a broken spawn point that will stick you inside one of the houses in the courtyard.

Won't object to some regiments having battle damaged faded pre-Bordin reform uniforms but only as a part of the selection screen.

I've mentioned most of these elsewhere, but I will compile them here.

Suggested Commander Battle Mode Changes:

1.  Add colour-bearer classes and musicians of each type (1 ea.) to every unit.  It does nothing since bonuses are off for most servers, but adds aesthetic variety and more visual immersion.

2.  Remove the non-adjustable basic line infantry unit cap.  Server settings do not allow for adjusting the number of line infantry, only the other types of units.  With full a full 20/20 server and default unit limits, players are forced into roles such as artillery.  There should be an unlimited number of basic line infantry as an option.

3.  Add in the ability to face your formations or to wheel them.  This should not be confused with the nearly impossible request of changing the AI targeting priority, just the direction you can face your troops.

4.  Slightly tweak the balance to make all cavalry more viable when used properly against infantry in weak line or skirmish formations.  Give horses a little more speed and most certainly the ability to push/bump infantry more so they can push through thin formations instead of coming to a complete halt.

5.  Slightly reduce the number and/or melee ability of artillery AI guards and make artillery pieces vulnerable to destruction by other artillery.  With respawns on (which is fairly necessary in this mode), and the fact that the artillery pieces themselves seem to be indestructible, there is little incentive for artillery to target each other as the players will just respawn as one of their AI and continue to fire away.  Artillery usually sits on top of a hill, which means that under current circumstances cavalry attacking them will suffer heavy losses and will almost always lose to two artillery pieces with their guards placed together nearby.

6.  Reduce the amount/height of hills in the random maps!!!  Random maps are just about the only viable maps for Commander mode and currently the hill code is out of control.  I wish I had Fraps running last night when one map was bad so I started a new one only to get a map with a 400 ft. cliff stretching from one end to the other with one team spawning on the face of it.

BetaKnight said:
And so it continues (again commander battles suggestion)

Nothing wrong with something new becoming quite popular! :wink:

This new mode will keep my interest for a lot longer than a refresh to the same old Battle mode.

Whoops! xD i forgot the face :grin:

But true the new mode made the dlc look like NTW and event better :grin:
Another suggestion: If you can make the bots to actually do the reloading other then stand and shoot there musket

I find Commander battle is one of the most innovative modes in this game compared to other FPS games.  I noticed that there are cool musician units in the normal deathmatch mode but not commander.  Perhaps add a drummer, bugle, bagpipe etc. to everyone's little brigade and have them play when you order 'move out' or 'retreat' or 'charge' etc?  I think a dragoon sounding the charge on a bugle as you run down your enemy would be a nice touch.  (And perhaps give each mini-brigade a flag as well)

Back
Top Bottom