Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

I have long asked for people to come up with historical references for such hats, I would happily implement any if I could tell for sure how they would have looked. Unfortunately though it seems they usually preferred hoods and such, or rather used designs roughly similar to the other factions so that they wouldn't really be unique either.

As long as they have hats everything is alright.

Rath0s said:
In that case every weapon should break...
Mhh, good point. Have no idea how easily hand axe would break in combat.

Maybe I am in my own fantasies again.

It would be rather nice if the lower-tier swords (AKA the cheaper, inferior quality) had a chance of breaking upon manual blocking only. I'm not a fan of the weapon breaking whilst being used to attack; I would happily advocate that it has a % chance of breaking when being used to defend oneself. Thus, only fools who refuse to take a shield or those unlucky enough to have lost their own shield are penalised somewhat for using a **** sword (yet still, the **** sword tends to be superior to the axes). The player then has the option of selecting a reliable axe (or spear) or to hedge their bets with a cheap sword for several rounds until they can fully reward themselves with a blade of excellent repute. We already see this with the mail, why not the extension of the arm also?

There is nothing more frustrating* than a sword-user who explicitly invokes Native-esque 'dancing' and the feint-spam one would usually find on Great Sword duel servers. Dane-axe users were penalised in such a fashion some time back, it's time it happened to the swords.

* Spare archers.  :razz:

There is nothing more frustrating* than a sword-user who explicitly invokes Native-esque 'dancing' and the feint-spam one would usually find on Great Sword duel servers. Dane-axe users were penalised in such a fashion some time back, it's time it happened to the swords.

I'm afraid that if feinting is greatly weakened you're going to get minutes long duels at the ends of rounds.

Itinerant said:

I'm afraid that if feinting is greatly weakened you're going to get minutes long duels at the ends of rounds.

Eh, I beg to differ but you've misread my post. It's not that I want to see the handling of the swords changed, merely that they're affected in some other way as the dane-axes, spears and whatnot are in order to feasibly reduce their use on the field of battle. The feinting is a product of Native and Native only, it cannot really ever be eradicated.

axemaster said:
Leifr Eiríksson said:
Thus, only fools who refuse to take a shield

:cry:

Real men take axes in their main hand, friend. You are one of them.  :razz:

I suggest you make your own mod Leifr Eiríksson, where ugly filthy peasants bash each other with crude clubs .
Leifr Eiríksson said:

The feinting is a product of Native and Native only, it cannot really ever be eradicated.
Most duels going in seconds even with Normal swing speed, and old pro nerdz(or how do you call them - turds) will block any attack anyway.
Normal swing speed is also reducing weirdness of M&B animations.

Partizan_Rusi said:
I suggest you make your own mod Leifr Eiríksson, where ugly filthy peasants bash each other with crude clubs .
Oh man, I laughed out loud at this. The irony.

You do realize "Leifr Eiríksson" was one of the main devs of the original dev team of this mod, right? :lol:

Partizan_Rusi said:
Leifr Eiríksson said:

The feinting is a product of Native and Native only, it cannot really ever be eradicated.
Most duels going in seconds even with Normal swing speed, and old pro nerdz(or how do you call them - turds) will block any attack anyway.
Normal swing speed is also reducing weirdness of M&B animations.

I did, with Rath0s and Davee. It's called Víkingr.
Again, you're misunderstanding what I wrote and, to boot, you misquoted me and included some other dudes quote.
Read what I originally wrote; never did I suggest for any kind of weapon nerf to swords with regards to speed, damage or handling characteristics. I suggested that the swords are increased in cost somewhat and that the cheaper (ie poorer quality) are subject to potential weapon break when used as a blocking weapon.

Written with brevity in mind; writing on my phone.

Rath0s said:
In that case every weapon should break...

I'm all up for that! For example for axes it would add greatly to the gameplay. If you want to block with your axe you will buy an axe with thick handle of strong, heavy wood (oak for example) which will make it both heavy (and therefore slower) and more expensive (but the heaviness would also increase innertia and damage). We could even extend it to making axes with leather straps around it, or even metal straps (and those have been mentioned in some sources, like Brennu-Njáls saga, where one of the heroes had an axe with handle wrapped in iron. I know that sagas are not very credible, but adding it as a high-tier unbreakable curiosity wouldn't harm I think).
Here's also an example of such wrapping from the end of viking age (which is pretty much the dating of the mod, after 1066 it's mostly knights'n'****, and we even have stuff from 12th C). I guess there should be only one such axe, but then leather-wrapped axe handles seem pretty viable too.

Also keep in mind that broken axe still leaves you with a sturdy club in hand, and a broken sword can kill as well!

Barabas said:
Is there currently any way to detect when someone blocks and/or chambers? Not just holding the block, but actually blocking another weapon.
If not, could this possibly be added in the future?

cmpxchg8b said:
It's not possible ATM.
Don't know about the future, with the porting to do and all I'm not adding any more major features for now.

Sorry for crushing your dreams. ^^

Leifr Eiríksson said:
I did, with Rath0s and Davee. It's called Víkingr.
Again, you're misunderstanding what I wrote and, to boot, you misquoted me and included some other dudes quote.
Read what I originally wrote; never did I suggest for any kind of weapon nerf to swords with regards to speed, damage or handling characteristics. I suggested that the swords are increased in cost somewhat and that the cheaper (ie poorer quality) are subject to potential weapon break when used as a blocking weapon.
I think Vikingr is about men with axes\swords and shields actually. If devs will add breakable weapons it will be just shield as your only chance for survival.
Fights are still too short for breakable weapons, since when you take sword you can't afford any armor so its frequently instakill and if you losing round you can't afford armor still.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Oh man, I laughed out loud at this. The irony.

You do realize "Leifr Eiríksson" was one of the main devs of the original dev team of this mod, right? :lol:
I don't remember Leifr Eiríksson, maybe its because Iam rare guest here now and maybe I rarely play because of some unlucky revamping.

Boo-********-hoo.

It tells a lot that people first start talking about how easily they will be killed and how less badass they will be etc. when some new ideas are being thrown in.
Even if some new stuff takes away some tools from your e-peen growing efforts, you'll learn to live with it.

I already play with so little odds of winning that nothing make it any worse. :lol: Still this mod is the only one I am currently playing.

EDIT: Can stop poor finn raging eh?

Why did you guys remove kill count but kept deaths? I much preferred it the normal way, now there's no way of telling about someone's performance in a bigger battle.

Also, two handed axes: they already were crap and next to useless in a fight against people who know how to play due to absurdly slow speed, low range, unbalanced and being unable to kite due to slow movement, now you also can't even block with them apart from the shortest ones...? 

I do sometimes feel that the longer axes need their block back. It is very rare that I see them besides I never really found them that annoying anyway, unless in the hands of the silly berserker class. There should be enough spears, archers and throwing weapons to easily deal with the buggers.

Back
Top Bottom